How do you organize your vacation plan?

I also have the same MO whether it's a Disney trip or somewhere else. And, I do sort of a hybrid of a lot of the above. As I think of them, I jot down thoughts/ideas for anything that has to do with the trip in the notes app in my phone. When we get a decent idea of how we want to structure everything, I create an itinerary that I save as a draft in gmail, (so that I can edit it) right up until the day before our trip, at which point I email it to myself. In that document/Itinerary, each day is listed separately (Bold/Underlined) and lists (as applicable) the following: Flight times, hotel names, confirmation codes, addresses, phone, meal reservations, links to directions (this is where having it on my phone comes in handy, because I can include any live links as necessary.), etc. If it's a road trip (or more than a little driving is involved), I'll include drive times, etc.

I then take that email and put it into a dedicated folder in my email box. That way, I can reference it quickly & easily on my phone when I'm traveling. That same email folder will include any/all emailed confirmations or other trip-related info. Each trip has its own folder, labeled with location/month/year. As someone else mentioned above, organizing it this way makes it easy to look back and remind myself of this or that. Or, like, if someone asks me for a recommendation for a restaurant or hotel or whatever in a certain city/place, I can easily access the information.

Specifically as it relates to Disney, I try not to plan TOO much. If we have an ADR, I'll include info about it on the general Itinerary, for that specific day, and, time-wise, I'll make a note of the park opening time and what time we should leave our hotel in order to get to the gate for RD (we are RD people.), but I don't get more specific than that on the master itinerary. I usually do create a plan on Touring Plans, just so that I can have a rough idea of what we can realistically do on any given day, and I print out and bring a copy with me, but I try not to be too attached to it. If we stick to it, great. But, if we're having fun doing something else, that's fine too.

I think I have some examples on my Google Drive. I can set up a folder to share it. I'll PM you.

Thank you so much! But I have to admit. WDW planning has me scared! It's just SO MUCH!

I use Google docs (like a word document, but accessed online). I create a table for each day and a table of contents at the top of the doc that links to each day.
Here's a link to our last trip's plan.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14htzNJoX6ZflZNS2XCUcKOTLZJgfH2CwrRa5avQcApo/edit?usp=drivesdk
I am a crazy over-planner. I used Touring Plans and also monitored the Disneyland app so I had a good idea of wait times and could guess pretty accurately what we would be doing at what times. Even with all this planning, we stayed pretty chill and flexible during the trip. It just helped me to know what to expect and how to prioritize.
Oh, thank you! This is perfect!

This thread has made me realize that I'm actually a massive slacker.
That was me on our last trip. We did NOT have the best experience because we were so new (1st visit for our 4 kids and 1st in over 20 years for the hubby and me) and fumbling. Plus spring break craziness and a power outage = not magical. This trip I am determined to see and ride almost everything. And fit in BBB and character dining and shows and Fantasmic!

Wow! So many strategies I’ve never thought of!

Even though Disneyland doesn’t require very much detailed planning it’s still a vacation that we want to feel was worth our time and money. For me, that means having a general plan for our “must-do” list.

Thanks for the ideas and examples! I’m loving it!

This thread has made me realize that I'm actually a massive slacker.

Me too!!! :rotfl:

Wow lots of you are way more organized than me! I plan more for WDW because it requires it (I only use MDE, screen shots of confirmations and maybe printed day sheets) but for DLR I don’t plan anything outside of a few ADRS, which I just keep track of in the app.

I often get accused of overplanning our trips. Lol i used to use a dayplanner. These days I put all the important stuff like road maps, flights, hotel, park hours and dining reservations into my tripit app. I can add those traveling with me to it and send them Google calendar invites for events as necessary. I'll need my phone anyway for our passes and maxpass and this keeps me from having to carry extra stuff.

That said, as I plan, I use excel to track prices, deals etc. Once it's booked, it goes in the app.

I'm pretty old school. I sure love all the ideas here. First, I use a daytimer type calendar and write in when I need to make reservations etc. I also start a word document and cut and paste info (mainly from here that pertains to new info that I want to include/experience) plus any other sources like Disneyland Daily etc. Then before my trip I organize the doc into sections of information. I cut and paste the hours of the park, first as proposed then actual, and create a daily plan based on what park/what our reservations are, and what I'd like to cover/experience. I email this to myself like a pp and also print it out.

I then make a binder with see through pocket dividers. These dividers hold the overall itinerary, with daily plans; copies of all reservations at DL; flight and hotel info; one divider has secure velcro closures and holds all of my Disney gift cards. The binder front has a slip in pocket and it holds a picture that reminds me of the general theme for the trip and it makes me smile every time I look at it.

Several versions (accounting for the possibility of headliners being closed in the morning, extra busy, or regular days) of touring plan printouts, with plenty of handwritten notes in red ballpoint pen scribbled on it.

What does your Disneyland vacation schedule/calendar/plan actually look like?

Do you use Excel? Word? a journal? Do you break things up by day or activity?

I'm curious to see how other people organize their plans to get some ideas for myself. I always get anxious if I haven't assessed our vacations to be sure we're not missing anything and we're utilizing our time the best way possible. :teacher::surfweb:

Pictures are welcome! Thanks!
I use WORD to form a calendar
upload_2018-8-8_13-38-1.png
upload_2018-8-8_13-44-31.png

I only plan this detailed if I'm taking grandkids with me.
Once we're there, I follow their lead of what they want to do each day.
I only require they get up early enough to get to the gates for EE each morning.
NO sleeping in when they go with me!!

Geemo

I used Excel but now I use the Google Docs version so I can share it more easily and access it on the go. I put each day in a column and title it with the date then add park hours, EMH hours when applicable and breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack locations for the day along with an approximate amount we'll spend for each meal (which all self tabulates into a daily total at the bottom and then a trip total at the end). Separately I also have a trip plan in Touring Plans/Lines where I add our Touring Plan for each day. We like to hit the highlights on our first couple days in the parks and from there we'll make up our own touring plans for later in the trip based on whatever we decide we want to ride.

I don't care how much of the plan we actually follow but for me just making all these plans is a huge part of the fun!

I use the Touring Plans app, starting well before my 180, so I can then plan my TS meals accordingly.
I then, (I know this is hopelessly old fashione!d) use 3x5 cards to have a pocket sized itinerary for each day, working from my plans. I, of course, predate Excel, Word, and any other spreadsheet out there. I do these cards just before my trip so they are the most utd info I have.
It works beautifully for me.
I even make extras and give that days plan to DH as well, in case I forget or list one.
And to save my sanity even further, I DO carry a tiny phone charger, so that if all else fails, everything is on my phone and accessable.

I use Excel, saved the file in my online cloud (so I can access it at work :p ). I use the same method for each vacation, Disney or non-Disney.

First tab is for budget, flight details and general day planning.

Second tab is a more detailed day plan, but only to the extend where do we expect to be (when to arrive at the airport/hotel etc) and what do we expect to do in the morning/afternoon, suggestions for where to eat. Reservations are of course included with a specific time and res. number.

Tab three is for tips and tricks. Hidden Mickeys, best spots for fireworks etc.

Tab four is my packing list.

Potential fifth tab is for links to websites of things we are going to do.

I also use a Google Drive spreadsheet. I color code different activities and the park hours to make it easy for a quick glance. I also have bucket lists for each trip so I can keep track of what are still must dos for the day.

Excel. One tab with an overall schedule for the entire day and then individual daily tabs with more details for each day. I love having them as reference documents after the vacation.

Same here. We love using them to refer back to.

I don't print them, I just take a screen shot on my Iphone for an on-the-go reference.

I'm old fashioned. I use a notebook to take notes of restaurants/snacks we want to try or things we want to make sure we do. Then I work out a loose plan of which park which day and major things we want to accomplish. Last visit we wanted to make sure we went over to Pirate's Lair Island (or whatever they call it now) because we hadn't been in 8-10 years. Plugged it in for after lunch but before afternoon break to make sure we actually did it.

Then I make dining reservations. Copies of reservations, ticket vouchers etc go into our travel folder that I bring with us. I also include a written packing list and stuff to take care of before we leave (mail hold, medications to fill/pick up/ lists of travel things to buy etc) in the notebook.

I love the planning as much if not more than the actual trip. :tongue:
I always feel sad when we don't have an upcoming trip to focus on.

On a piece of paper I block out the dates I will be home at DL. As far as planning, I write down what I plan to do as far as shows/fireworks as they are not necessarily available depending on when I am planning to go. I then make reservations for only one lunch or dinner because I don't like being overscheduled. Because we generally stay onsite, I also take into account the early entries, w/ more emphasis on DCA since those days are only available for resort guests. If I do the early entry (again, generally at DCA), I have a general plan on the rides I plan to hit first. Other than that, I play it by ear, and enjoy my time at the parks. Of course, I use park hoppers liberally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter