How do you organize your plans?

Discussion in 'Disney World Tips' started by WishesQueen, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JFox

JFox Mouseketeer

I make a spreadsheet but I'm the ONLY one who uses it. I prefer not to use my phone to check plans the paper copy is helpful. Honestly, I don't feel completely ready for my trip until my spreadsheet is done. After the trip it goes into my travel journal.

siren0119 likes this.
  2. easyas123

easyas123 Mouseketeer

Same here. I get tickets, room & transportation to WDW...sometimes we will sketch out a rough idea a week before depending on weather, but usually we wing it day of or day before.
    Shockingly it works out for us:duck:Going again in May, same way.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. leahgoogle

leahgoogle Mouseketeer

We use Touring Plans and MDE. DH also used Excel to organize his thoughts before putting into Touring Plans. We plan a lot before the trip to make sure we are hitting upon everything the kids (and us) want to do.

5. Shughart

Shughart Mouseketeer

So how does Touring plans work. I know it's a subscription service and it does a whole lot like crowd calendars, you can input alerts for reservations, etc. But for making itineraries do you just input what you want to do and it helps you put it in a logical order? Like based on where it is in the park? I have been peeping at it and I am interested. We are going in December so there are things we want to do like Christmas tree trail, and the storytellers at Epcot, can you input that kind of random stuff too into your itinerary?

6. siren0119

siren0119 DIS Veteran

I am not sure about the Christmas Tree trail, but yes you can select certain shows/events that you want to attend as well as rides you want to hit. There is also a place to input your 3 fastpasses, any dining plans and breaks you want to take. You also enter the times you will be in the park, and how fast/slow you will be walking or the pace you want to keep up. You can choose to minimize wait times, or minimize walking. Once all those variables are in, TP will generate an "optimized" plan of attack for you.

I did a LOT of playing around with touring plans in the system on our last big family trip - I didn't end up using them once we got there, but it gave me a really good sense of how to approach our days, where things were located (how far apart things were) and good times to hit certain attractions. There are definitely some who use it as a strict itinerary too, for me it became a learning tool that allowed me to "wing it" a bit more once we were actually there :)

Shughart likes this.
  7. Shughart

Shughart Mouseketeer

This sounds like exactly what I want to use it for! I have no idea really where anything is in relation is to anything else, so I am looking for something exactly like this. My husband likes a firm schedule, and I am more of a 'wing it' type of gal. I think something like this would help us find a middle ground. Thank you so much. I think a subscription is a wise investment for us.

8. Happyinwonerland

Happyinwonerland DIS Veteran

Honestly, I just put the dates /times of ADRs in my phone calendar, and I screen shot MDE to remember when our FPs are. Beyond that, we show up we ride, we conquer! Spreadsheets and color coding would make me anxious, and carrying around a paper with that info would probably not happen. We go to the parks a few times a year and mostly wing it.

WishesQueen likes this.
  9. FindingTheMouse

FindingTheMouse Mouseketeer

I use TripIt on my phone for all our scheduled plans with confirmation numbers. This information is then used to create a Word document itinerary with ADRs, FastPasses, and important times for nighttime shows or parades. We may put times for other shows or character meets if we feel we really want to do those. If it's not scheduled as an ADR, or FastPass the rest of our time is winging it.

WishesQueen and limace like this.
  10. Unca’ Donald

Unca’ Donald Earning My Ears

Pen and paper. :o

WishesQueen likes this.
  11. MousetersInc

MousetersInc Earning My Ears

It took me a while to bite the bullet on paying for Touringplans, but I've been very glad I did. It's still not my one-and-only plan repository (that would be a bunch of stream-of-consciousness notes on my phone plus various Google spreadsheets), but it's a powerful tool in the arsenal. One perk I recently discovered is the Reservation Finder--put in your dream ADR and it will check for it regularly and text you if it comes open.
    But yes, the main focus is crunching the numbers on attraction location vs wait time (using real data posted by users rather than Disney posted times) and optimizing your plan, with the option to adjust to preferring more direct route or shorter wait times. I also plan to use it in-park, as it shows current wait times and can re-optimize on the fly. For a given attraction it will say, e.g., "Wait to ride; lines will get shorter until x:xx," or "Ride now; lines get longer until..."