How do you keep your phone charged in the parks?

MrsHammer

Mickey and I go way back
Are there many charging locations in the parks? Are the fuel rods still available in the parks? I've never used one of those, so I know nothing about them. How much of a charge can you get from one? Is it better to buy a portable charger from Amazon or somewhere?

The only place I ever need a portable battery is at Disney, so I opted to use the fuel rod! I bought mine at the airport, so it was cheeper than purchasing it at Disney. It did a fine job of charging my phone but I only got about 1 full charge out of each rod before I had to swap it out, which didn't bother me at all but does bother some people. I like that it fits easily into my fanny pack, and that I don't have to worry about recharging it (my biggest issue with other portable chargers I've owned are that they are never charged when I need them, and I always loose their charging cord!). its not a super heavy duty charger, but if you are a person that really only needs a portable charger when they are at Disney and won't be bothered by swapping them out, then I think they are a great option! I've been using it for a few years now!

I love my fuel rod at Disney. There is enough charge in them that I was able to get through the entire Princess Half marathon using one to keep my music and running tracker going. I also love being able to swap it out multiple times a day at the parks. I even use mine at home and just charge it with an outlet using the cords provided.

There are a number of options...

1. Take a portable charger in with you as suggested. (10,000mah's should be adequate)
2. Purchase the Fuel rod system

We do a combination of the 2 for the most part depending on if we anticipate doing some filming with the phone etc... The beauty of the Fuel rod route is that once it is out you simply swap it out for another at the charging station so there is no need to worry if you put it on charge the night before or if the usb outlet was working lol. While not always the most cost effective method (larger portable units are cheaper to purchase outright) the ability to just swap it out on demand is what tipped it for us.

A tip from one of the other forums says that if you buy it online before you go then its much cheaper than when you are in the parks. We love using ours and its convenient for the most part.

Fuel Rod was the best $30 we ever spent. We take the same one with us every trip and swap it out whenever we are near a spot. Can even swap it at the resort as we leave in the morning or come back in the evening. Works great for us!

I love my fuel rod, there are places to swap it everywhere. I charge mine up in my room, but, should I have a heavy day of use I don't panic anymore, I've been caught out far too often in the past.

There are several places where there are still plugs you can sit and charge, you just have to know where they are. We have seen a few in MK but I can't remember where they are. At DHS, they are some right outside ABC Commissary. At Epcot, there are some in several of the buildings, unless they have closed those already? We were there in July and everything was still the same. We also take several portable chargers to make sure we are covered.

There are a bunch of outlets with plenty of sitting on the floor in the gift shop in MK near Space Mountain. Looking at SpaceMountain, it's on left hand side.

I carry 2 portable battery chargers with one back in room charging. Most park days include nap/charging time. I can usually find a place to plug-in at some QS & most TS locations (sometimes you have to ask where). Sometimes I want my phone during a meal so I put my portable chargers on a plug while I eat.
Occasionally an attraction wait area has a plug. Every bathroom I know of offers plugs (emergency). I'm a hyper phone user for Pokémon (extreme battery drainer), FP modification, & mobile ordering.

Just remember to use battery saving techniques such as force sleep, lower screen brightness, & shutting off apps so they don't run in background.

If you're charging often or your battery is old, it might be time to replace.

I purchased a power source from Amazon, it's a batter pack with several different cords attached for charging different devices. Just Google portable phone power sources and it should bring a bunch of different ones.

Google the mah of your phone and of the charger you are considering. Fuel rod will not fully charge my phone. Mophie will charge my phone several times but is heavy.

Fuel rod machines are not available everywhere at disney. One place at animal kingdom park. No place at yacht club or beach club. If you are considering one, look up the locations.

We try to use only one cell phone (either mine or Dh's) for MDE, phone calls, pictures, etc. so we're not draining both phones. That way we always have one at 100 or close to it.

On long park days we use a solar phone charger we got on Amazon and either hang it from the backpack or place on top of the stroller while we are walking around to charge. Its worked great so far.

I have a Jackery battery that I bought from Amazon. It's like the Fuel Rod but I can normally get at least two full charges out of it and it charges the phone really fast! Then I just replenish it overnight in the room. For reference, it's 3200mAh.

Even when we're not at Disney, every phone-owning member of my family has a portable battery in our purse, work bag, or backpack for emergency use. We bring the same ones to Disney; not worth spending more money on it when we already own these that cost half what the Disney ones cost. If you don't already own one, I think you could make a good argument for either the convenience of the Disney system or the value of buying one from home that meets your needs. The one thing I wonder about for the Disney ones is whether they're routinely checked to see if they're still holding a charge well.

I typically carry my wire in a ziploc in my small carry bag and charge up somewhere within the park ( like at the charging area in MK). This is typically my time to decompress and relax for a bit... sometimes with a snack.
It’s All Good

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter