How do you dress a child for 80's day???

Oh my gosh! Is the 80s day like one of those "oldies days"?? We used to dress up like the 50s. Oh my gish, I graduated in 1986. I feel so OLD having the 80s be a dress up day for oldies! LOL!

Jon Cryer -- Duckie -- from Pretty in Pink!

Duckie3.jpg

Duckie1.jpg

More fun than Boy George!

Don't forget, big hair, tight rolled jeans, huge t-shirts tied at the waist...

OMG... Im having flash :hippie: backs.. lol.. TIGHT ROLLED JEANS,, so tight our ankles couldn't breath... lol.. OH and Boat shoes/decks.. They are big again, down here. My DD20 who was born in 1988 LOVES everything eighties.. She is always asking me why I couldn't be OLDER so I could have had her earlier so she could have been a teen in the eighties.. Thinking to myself it wasn't that great.. :rolleyes: Geeshh.. BUT she would give anything to be a teen back then..

OH and button down shirts.. And that MEMBERS only jacket from the 80's... lol Didn't think I would ever see the day that thing came back in style..
membersonly.jpg

So what did you figure out for your son to wear?

You could pick up a jean jacket at a thrift store. Fill a water bottle with bleach, then spray it in the bath tub to do an 80's bleached demin jacket. DH still has his jacket, and when DD had her 80's day I let her wear my plastic charm necklace and old swatch watch.:rotfl:

Don't know how much time you have to put into it, but Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and The Wedding Singer have lots of 80s flashbacks.

And I caught a first season episode of Roseanne yesterday that was pretty on the mark, too! (Becky was all excited about getting her "skinny jeans") and everybody had big, big hair!

Oh, and we'd wear suspenders on our pants but hanging down, not over ourselves.

I did that too! I'm an 80's graduate too!

Michael J. Fox in just about ANYTHING before Doc Holiday. Think Back to the Future or Teen Wolf.

Bleached jeans with tight ankles, white sneakers, a plaid flannel shirt over a colored t-shirt, and suspenders on top of all of it. If you really want to push it one more notch, a bandanna tied around the thigh. Slick his hair back on the sides and let the top hair flop into his eyes.

For a boy, my thought is either the surfer thing with board shorts and an OP shirt, a Member's only jacket with cuffed acid washed jeans, or parachute pants.

Wow, is this topic incredibly relevant for us right now! DD11 is in this play with her theater company, to stage in November:

http://www.backtothe80smusical.com/homeMenu.html

Not only does she have to dress 80's, but she has to dress as an 80's nerd! Luckily we have a costume designer advising everyone, but we may have to come up with some of her own pieces. And to top it all off, the last scene of the show is a prom scene, so we have to find an 80's prom dress! Luckily for her I was a child of the 80's (both HS and college), and I happen to have 2 bridesmaid dresses from 1989 in my basement (we'll see how good a shape they're in :confused3 ). It's been fun reliving all the fashions, lingo and songs from her script. I've noticed retro-80's appearing all over the Mall now also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter