How Do You Carry Your DSLR?

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a Nikon D40 with one lens.

I think I will look into the Lowpro sling. I have the sling shot, but don't care for how it fits across my chest, especially when I am wearing a jacket. I really like the looks of the sling bag though.

I have a Nikon as well but I don't carry my telephoto lens. Sometimes I wish I had it but REALLY don't want the bulk of the camera PLUS the extra lens. But for just the camera with the normal lens I have a crossbody sling type backpack from Edie Bauer. It is small and light and my camera fits in the large zippered slot on the back and then it has a smaller zippered area in the front and I can hold a small wallet, pens, gum etc. It also has a little zippered pouch on the handle where I store my phone. Works really well and when I go on a ride I just slide it around to fit on the front.

:) Slightly off topic, but still relevant here:

Should I just stick to my 17-85 or do you think I can use my 50mm the whole time (I only want to bring one....)

:) Slightly off topic, but still relevant here:

Should I just stick to my 17-85 or do you think I can use my 50mm the whole time (I only want to bring one....)

Stick with the 17-85 if at all possible. There are lots of situations that you will want to zoom (or wide-angle) for the various pictures you'll be taking.

I have a neoprene case when not carrying my Lowepro 100. Everything I need fits in the Lowepro, the camera and extra lens go in the bottom half and all my odds and ends easily fit in the top half. There is a mesh pocket on the side for a water bottle or whatever plus I love how I was able to keep our tickets and money secure on the front pocket - it has a zipper and the buckled flap. Could have bought a bigger bag but I do not want to overpack when I will be carrying the bag around for hours. I am pretty short (5'3") and this bag is slim - not bulky like most camera bags - so it is perfect for the parks :thumbsup2

http://www.amazon.com/DuraNeoprene-FlexArmor-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0037TEO3K/ref=pd_sbs_a_44

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Fastpack-100-Camera-Backpack/dp/B004C512CE/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

...I have a camera backpack, but it is bulky and doesn't provide space for other things like my wallet and a water bottle.
Not a direct answer to your question, but I now carry all non-camera items in a travel vest. Scottevest provides zippered pockets for all essential items, so there is no risk of anything getting lost :thumbsup2
I have the Lightweight Vest, although there are many models.

I like Holster style bags, where the camera drops in from the top.
Tamrac makes models for all camera/lens sizes.

My favorite way to deal with a DSLR is to just dedicated some "camera time" and carry the camera without a case.

I've gotta give another for for the Black Rapid R-strap. I'm no pro, but that strap has been one of my best purchases - because it means I'm a lot more likely to bring out my DSLR for whatever occasion and use it.

I am used to carry the DSLR around the parks so it really does not bother me to do so, also have a cheap back with extras. Carried a 503c a number of years back.

Also carry a movie camera that takes absolutely brilliant HD movies.

Jack

I use the small crumpler bag and I love it. It doesn't look like a camera bag.

I also use a handstrap like this one:

Ooops looks like I can't post links yet. Anyway, it's a "Hakuba LH Camera Grip Hand Strap" just search for it on google. I bought it from b&h.

I find it's very handy (haha) and it takes alot less effort to hold especially with a short lens. I carry my camera like this on hikes in the mountains with very little effort.

I carry this Tamrac backpack (Adventure 7) when I'm taking my XSi around the parks. I usually designate one day in each park to carry it..the rest of the time I leave it in the hotel room and bring my pocket sized Canon Powershot (which also takes video, and very nice quality shots).

I like the small backpack for carrying the SLR, though. There's room in the top pouch for my wallet and cell phone and such, and the size is small enough that it doesn't get overly heavy throughout the day. It also fits easily on all rides. I would definitely recommend it!

It stays around my neck for the most part. I've used many, many bags and finally landed, of all things, on a bag called a JuJuBe Fuel Cell. It's actually a baby bottle insulated bag. Great for water rides and perfect size. :)

I love, love, love my Kata backpack. Camera and lenses go in the bottom. Maybe not the quickest set-up to get the camera out but I don't mind. Vertical pockets in front for cell phone and park tickets. Another zipper across the top front for the things I would normally carry in my purse. It has a laptop slot down the back that I use for my iPad. It is lightweight and comfortable.

I'm going to tack on to this, since the question came up about what lenses to bring.

For my trip to WDW in 2010, I rented a Nikon 24-70 F2.8 lens from borrowlenses.com I can't normally justify the purchase of an $1800 lens. I've got a combo of F1.8 primes and consumer zooms that I'm able to do most of what I want to do with. However, having the desire to not have to worry about lens changes and dealing with my big camera bag, I found renting this pro zoom for the week of our trip gave me a good tool to go from portraits of the kids at character meetings, catching fast action of the kids on rides, and enough speed with pumping up the ISO on my D90 a bit to get decent shots in the evenings.

I'm not attached to the company in any way other than being a satisfied customer. I'm definitely planning on looking at getting a lens again from then for my California/Disneyland trip this summer.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I bought the Lowepro passport sling at Best Buy the other evening. After playing with it for a little bit, I love it! It fits me very well and is so much lighter than my backpack, even with my camera and extra lens inside!
Can't wait to use it this weekend at Disneyland!

I wanted to thank all the posters that recommended the Black Rapid strap. I bought one for our trip and have used it the past two days. Seriously a great product. I was able to take so many more photos since my camera was not tucked away in my bag. And it was much lighter to carry than my normal bag, which isn't even that big a bag (a crumpler.) Decided to carry only one lens to lighten my load vs an extra lens that I carry in my bag. Worked out perfectly.

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your tips. I loved using my Lowepro passport sling on my trip two weeks ago. It worked out great and held so much more than my camera. Took me a bit to figure out how to hold it on the faster attractions with only one strap instead of two (it was actually swinging back and forth on my leg on Indy at one point), but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I was even able to put our ponchos in it that Sunday we were there when it was raining! And the nice thing about the passport sling vs. a backpack is if it started to hurt my shoulder while standing in a line, I was able to readjust it sit differently and shift the weight. It was so easy to slide it from my back to side to get out my camera, wallet, or anything else I needed. And when I wanted, I was able to hold my camera on my shoulder without the bag interfering with the camera like a backpack would.

Here is a picture with Mickey and my bag!
ry%3D480

Thank you everyone for your tips. I loved using my Lowepro passport sling on my trip two weeks ago. It worked out great and held so much more than my camera. Took me a bit to figure out how to hold it on the faster attractions with only one strap instead of two (it was actually swinging back and forth on my leg on Indy at one point), but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I was even able to put our ponchos in it that Sunday we were there when it was raining! And the nice thing about the passport sling vs. a backpack is if it started to hurt my shoulder while standing in a line, I was able to readjust it sit differently and shift the weight. It was so easy to slide it from my back to side to get out my camera, wallet, or anything else I needed. And when I wanted, I was able to hold my camera on my shoulder without the bag interfering with the camera like a backpack would.

Here is a picture with Mickey and my bag!
Nice thanks for the review as I am in the market myself.

I use two things, one is an over the shoulder SLR bag with single lense attached. I use that for everyday park adventures, but then I'll bring my larger bag for one day to do a photo shoot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter