How can I find out availability when I'm not a member yet?

poohnpiglet3

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone... I seem to be the queen of starting threads lately!

Here's the short story behind my question:

We'll be closing on our resale (provided Disney ok's us, which seems likely) before Aug. 31st. We have a trip scheduled for Sept. 10-19th. We'd like to stay 2 weeknights at BCV, our new home, either in a studio or 1-BR. Actually, we'd stay at SSR, BWV or WL, too, but would prefer to see our new home actually.

We have points that need to be banked by Aug. 31st to get the full 100% value. However, we'd like to possibly use some of those points for this year and not bank them all.

How can I go about finding the availability for my dates (Sept. 15th and 16th at BCV) if I am not a member yet?

THanks!

Sherri :)

You can't find out availability before you are a member and able to make reservations. FWIW, even if there is availability now, there is no guarantee there would be availability when you were able to call for the reservation.

Here's what I would do:

Go ahead and have the points banked. If there is availability when you finally can call for the reservation, you can just borrow from the next use year's points. If no availability - you are in good shape, no lost points. If there is availability, you still can go to WDW and pay with points from the resale contract.

In either case, the points you banked will have to be used by the end of the next use year, but that shouldn't be a problem - should it? :teeth:

Best wishes -

Even though that is very short notice, I think you just might have luck at that time of year. Here's hoping for a speedy approval and closing so you can use those points ASAP!

Why not bank all but the points that you will need for your anticipated trip (say 24 points). and you will still be able bank the 24 at the 50% window assuming that 24 is less than 50% of your total annual allotment.

Upon further review this does not really answer your question. The short answer is there is nothing you can do until you close and disney transfers the contract to your name. This will happen before 8/31 so you will be able to bank 100% but there's no way around the waiting game to make your first reservation. Our recent experience was very quick however. You should have good luck in September, especially if you are looking 1 BR.

Thank you! That totally answers my question. I'll go ahead and have the existing owner of the contract bank all of his points.

Thanks again!

Sherri :)

Originally posted by mydogdrew
Why not bank all but the points that you will need for your anticipated trip (say 24 points). and you will still be able bank the 24 at the 50% window assuming that 24 is less than 50% of your total annual allotment.
Actually that's not a correct statement. The 50% window means 50% of your total allotment, including any points ALREADY BANKED.

Say you have 150 points and bank 126 points at the 100% deadline, leaving 24 points unbanked.

At the 50 % deadline you may NOT bank any additional points. 50% of 150 is 75 points and you already have 126 points banked which is more than 50% of your total allotment so you may not bank any more.

Example #2: Suppose you have 150 points, use 65 points, bank 61 points, and leave 24 points unbanked. At the 50% window, of your 24 unbanked points, you could only bank 14 of those points which would bring your total banked points to 75 which is 50% of your total allotment. The remaining 10 points could not be banked.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter