how big are DCL wine pours?

Although DW and I always dine together, she doesn’t drink alcohol, so I face the same issue as the OP. I have done wine by the glass and also purchased bottles onboard. When I purchase a bottle, I try to drink half the first night and have our assistant server hold the remaining wine for the second night. I find I have to manage this process with some care, since some of the servers are continually trying to refill my glass. I have resorted to tell the server I will pour my own wine when that becomes a problem.

Most of the restaurants we frequent at home serve wine by the glass in 150 ml pours (5 servings per 750 ml bottle, nominally 5 oz). It would be nice to see a 6 oz pour, but that does not seem to be the pattern. Generally, wine by the glass is priced at about 1/4th the bottle price, but poured to yield 5 servings so the already good markup (at least 3X the retail price when drinking a wine readily available at retail) provides an even better net to the restaurant. I’ve been told that this is justified by the fact that the wine is served in a fresh glass, but even that is not the case where the server brings the bottle to the table to refill your glass or brings the wine in a small cruet to pour into your glass. I usually avoid drinking wine by the glass in those restaurants that squeeze 6 (125 ml or nominal 4 oz) servings out of a bottle.

On DCL, I find the wine by the glass pours to be closer to 5 oz than anything else. Not as small as a 4 oz pour and only a 6 oz pour if they are trying to empty the bottle. I think DCL prices these wines at about 1/4th the bottle price, so a pretty typical pricing pattern. I still sometimes choose to purchase wine by the glass rather than purchasing full bottles on DCL because it gives me an opportunity to pair different wines as appropriate to my menu choices, perhaps a white with the appetizer and a red with my entree. I can also try a more expensive wine by the glass where I would hesitate to buy a full bottle. Frequently, the suggested wine pairings fall into this category, being one step up from my usual territory.

I remember them being pretty standard. I will say in Concierge when I would ask for a glass of wine to take to dinner it would be so full I would have to take a few steps before starting to walk.

We just got home from a 3 night cruise on the Dream yesterday.

I had wine twice with dinner. IMO, they were average pours. Seemed like more than 4 oz but less than 6, so let’s say 5 :)

As someone who has carried wine bottles on and OFF the cruise ship - and then given the bottle away to the check-in at the Beach Club because I was tired of drinking it ... just saying. After 5 cruises I now carry on a 6-pk of Coors light for the hubs and a package of smartwater. I find that I tend to get mixers on the cruises and have wine with my meal. I bought a bottle once and got tired of drinking it at every meal.

Your other option is to carry on your own bottles. Get a wine glass from your room steward or the bar. Pour yourself a glass and bring it with you to the dining room. Yes, someone is going to say this is against the rules but really there is no way that they can police this. Many times I will stop at the bar for a pre-dinner drink and haven't finished it so I just bring it with me to dinner. This avoids the corkage fee and it avoids having to wait for your server to bring you a drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter