Hopefully last thread before we buy...

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
Too much knowledge is crippling!
What we ‘think’ we want is 150-200 points resale on CC. We will travel 80% in mid September and maybe in February Or early May about 20%. Ideally, a 2 BR most stays about every other year, with a short stay if we have points to use.
But, now that I see availability charts- it seems 2 BR are usually pretty open at the 7 month. So, would it make sense to find a cheaper contract (say OKW(e) for under $100 a point and go for 250 pats) or stick with CC for around 140 a point...we have a budget of 25k we want to stick with- but would more points be a better option for us than choosing the resort we most want to stay at? There are 7 we’d be fine staying at- but love the ones with lots of trees the best.

What is your favourite park? What do you like to do on an evening? Do you need a good pool? Lots to factor in....
We just picked up a AKL contract for $105 and that is after we had stayed a few different places and decided what was right for us.

Not sure how big your group might be when you travel. I believe the occupancy number is lower in Copper Creek than in other resorts. And some resorts have an extra bathroom in their villas.

We bought 150 at CC earlier this year. We burned through those points fast, and during this second of 3 trips for this year, we met with DVC and bought another 150 for SS resale direct from Disney in the same use year.
We love CC but we’re afraid of not having enough points for the 11 people potentially looking for a place to rest their head, and frankly, we’re happy anywhere on property.

IMO, I’d go with where you want to bel. Booking trends At 7 months is getting harder and harder, Even though 2 bedrooms seem easier, how would you feel if you couldn’t get all the nights you wanted and had to split stay? Would you be willing to stalk the website in order to get it changed?

Spending 25k is a lot of money and I think you should buy the product you will be the most happy with down the road at the resort you can secure during home resort booking.

If you don’t plan on ever booking that far out, then it doesn’t matter. But I’d you do, go for the resort over the points. JMV

Good luck!

If you know you want to stay in CCV, I wouldn't risk it -- I'd buy at CCV.

Yes, 2 BRs are generally available at 7 months. But patterns might change... for example, if they ever find a way to reallocate points (as they planned for 2020), demand for 2 BRs could (will) increase.

In the end of the day, buy where you want to stay.

That’s the struggle, we’d like BLT these first years without grands, but don’t like the upper balconies with little kids- so, once they are walking- we’d want CC to walk the grounds and take in nature- then- with older grands we’d want to hit Epcot- so BW would be a better fit- I think we’d want the access to more points than a specific resort- there are 5 in our family now- anticipate 8 once they are all married- then unlikely they all can travel at the same time- so saving up points for two 2 bR or 3 every few years...
one thing that seems annoying is that if we have 150 pts at CC and 150 pts at BLT- same use year- that we can’t combine our points at 11 month for one of them..that’s correct, right?

That’s the struggle, we’d like BLT these first years without grands, but don’t like the upper balconies with little kids- so, once they are walking- we’d want CC to walk the grounds and take in nature- then- with older grands we’d want to hit Epcot- so BW would be a better fit- I think we’d want the access to more points than a specific resort- there are 5 in our family now- anticipate 8 once they are all married- then unlikely they all can travel at the same time- so saving up points for two 2 bR or 3 every few years...
one thing that seems annoying is that if we have 150 pts at CC and 150 pts at BLT- same use year- that we can’t combine our points at 11 month for one of them..that’s correct, right?
If they are not even married yet by the time you have older grands boardwalk will be expired so that wouldn’t make much sense. I actually think BLT is great with young kids because of the proximity to magic kingdom which is where you spend most of your time. And the latches on the balcony are high and hard enough to open that little kids can’t open them. I have trouble opening them sometimes!

I love copper creek, it’s gorgeous. But their rooms sleep less than some of the other resorts, which is what steered me away. Keep in mind you could also end up on the 5th or 6th floor there with a balcony. As PP said as nice as those availability charts are, they are a current world model. A lot is changing with DVC so I would still say buy where you wouldn’t mind staying.

......(Snip)...........one thing that seems annoying is that if we have 150 pts at CC and 150 pts at BLT- same use year- that we can’t combine our points at 11 month for one of them..that’s correct, right?
Yes, that's correct. You can't combine until the 7 month window opens. Home resort priority only applies to the points purchased for that resort.

And one more consideration on buying more points than you presumably need: maintenance fees.

OKW is $7.43 per point x 250 points = $1,875.50 in 2019
CCV is $7,42 per point x 200 points = $1,484. in 2019

For my wife and I, more points are better, but only at the resort we want to call "home". So, we bought BLT points, and not SSR or OKW with the plan to book at the 7 month mark. With how difficult 7 month booking has become in certain seasons (like September to January!), we just didn't want to take the chance of not being where we wanted to be.

If you plan on staying most of the time in Sept, buy the place you like the most, not another "good enough" resort.
That’s the problem..we like 7/14 enough to buy there...when you are trying to project your family’s needs over 20 years- they change. We loved Poly/CR bc it was close to MK, but now that are kids are in college- we prefer the Epcot resorts...I can envision our preferences changing as our family changes. I have reached this point in DVC buying 2x in 4 years and get decision paralysis. But, we are in a position where it’s the best time to buy for us- but these exceptions are driving me crazy. I think I’ll have a sit down with our kids and weigh pros/cons...dh is pretty much on board with what I decide- I just can’t. Sigh.

we’d like BLT these first years without grands, but don’t like the upper balconies with little kids- so, once they are walking- we’d want CC to walk the grounds and take in nature- then- with older grands we’d want to hit Epcot- so BW would be a better fit-
And the latches on the balcony are high and hard enough to open that little kids can’t open them. I have trouble opening them sometimes!

I'll also add that the balconies are pretty high, as well. But if you are concerned about any such possibilities, you can always request a low floor. I'll also also add - that when we stay at BLT, we take the boats to WL at least once each trip - we love WCC and Artist Point. BLT is a great place to use as a home base if you are resort hopping.

And finally - if you really can't decide - you can do a split stay with 2 home resorts. We often split between MK and EP/BW area.

There are 7 we’d be fine staying at- but love the ones with lots of trees the best.
Then concentrate on those with the landscaping, design and theme you most enjoy.

Personally, I'd toss out the "location relative to park access" criteria. As you noted, your needs will change over the years. All resorts have access to all parks ... just in different forms. No matter where you stay onsite you can reach any park with relative ease.

BTW, the SSR Treehouses are fantastic!!

Then concentrate on those with the landscaping, design and theme you most enjoy.

Personally, I'd toss out the "location relative to park access" criteria. As you noted, your needs will change over the years. All resorts have access to all parks ... just in different forms. No matter where you stay onsite you can reach any park with relative ease.

BTW, the SSR Treehouses are fantastic!!

Oh my word!! What treehouses? There are treehouses???? I feel another wave of researchitis hitting me! Where have I been? Under the rock that holds Excalibur, most likely!! Geez!!

I'm still in the buy where you want to stay camp.
While wht you are looking at now is available at 7 months, in a year or two might not.
Since we purchased, the ability to move at 7 months has become much more difficult. Luckily we get our reservation at 11 where we want to be and we're done. We also go in October when DVC is booked at nearly full occupancy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter