Homemade FE gifts - Part 2

I've wanted to share my FE gift for ages but didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone on my cruise....now it's long over I can finally share!!

I made DCL Camera straps :-) People seemed to like them. My hubby gave a download card of his own piano music and we also included cotton scarves.

969456_586921108009346_1999656757_n.jpg

It always amazes me how quickly people steal FE gift ideas and put them on Etsy & Ebay. This popped up on Etsy just a few days ago - the seller is in the UK so I'm guessing she was on your cruise and received one. :furious:

That is great! I would have LOVED one. Do you have instructions on how you made them? Where did you the materials? I have DCL ribbon that I've been making key fobs with, but would love to try this.

Me too - me too. I would love to make this for myself and my friends that are cruising with us.

Linda

It always amazes me how quickly people steal FE gift ideas and put them on Etsy & Ebay. This popped up on Etsy just a few days ago - the seller is in the UK so I'm guessing she was on your cruise and received one. :furious:

Actually, people have been making custom camera straps on eBay and Etsy for years. This is not a new idea. :)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/1191208...y&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=26&ga_search_type=all
Thank you!

Yes! I googled "survival bracelet" when I saw someone in this thread or the previous one saying her son had suggested survival bracelets for the teen boys. I wondered what made it a "survival" bracelet and was amused to find out that among other things, you could use them to make a clothesline- like a clothesline is really necessary for survival, although I guess dry clothes would be.

I started by making the single color and two color bracelets while waiting for the cords I ordered on Ebay to ship from China. I ended up liking the cord from the US better, but the Cheapo Overseas ones were ok in the end. Here are the instructions for the plain two color ones- I googled it since I couldn't find the original instructions I had googled a couple of months ago.http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-a-Two-Color-Survival-Bracelet/

For the third color, here is a link to a youtube video by Tying it all Together. I didn't realize this was survival/paracord, although I have been subscribed to this channel for a couple of years now. I kind of guessed at the center part- which is the third color. I made a closed loop with yellow paracord with the ring and charm attached and then melted the red and the black cords together and continued from there. Let me know if you still have questions or want more complete directions, I'd be happy post more information, like how many inches each piece measured but I'm sure yours would take up a different amount depending on how tight you pull the cord to finish it and how long you want the fob to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7TDszlZDBA

I was inspired by a picture I found on Pinterest which led to this Etsy listing:http://www.etsy.com/listing/119120840/new-hand-crafted-mickey-mouse-pendant?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=mickey&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=26&ga_search_type=all

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'll have to look at it when I get back home, but hopefully I will be able to figure it out. I made bracelets with 3 colors, so it may be similar, just couldn't find instructions for the key fob. :thumbsup2

My wife and I have been having so much fun making things for our first DCL cruise and FE exchange.
We are getting our groups finalized so we know exactly how many things we need to make.
We are going to have our boys help make the gifts for the other children as well as have them help take things around to the other cabins.
So much fun!:banana:

I've wanted to share my FE gift for ages but didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone on my cruise....now it's long over I can finally share!!

I made DCL Camera straps :-) People seemed to like them. My hubby gave a download card of his own piano music and we also included cotton scarves.

969456_586921108009346_1999656757_n.jpg

What a great idea! I'm hoping you can post some directions for the camera strap. I also would have loved the original piano music and cotton scarves. Thank you for sharing!

I made ornaments last year for our cabin gift. I bought the flat clear glass ones, filled them with floor wax, swished it around, dumped it out, added red fine glitter and covered the inside with the glitter. I used my silhouette machine to cut out Mickey ears, the Magic, the date, out of vinyl and adhered them to the front. I added black tulle to form the bow hanger. I placed each one wrapped up in a hard take out style box with anchors in the front. For the teens, I took empty Starbucks frapucino bottles, spray painted the lid, cut out mustaches out of black vinyl and the words "My stache." I filled it with different kinds of mini size candies and tied the tops with tulle. Little kids got pirate bags with compasses, tattoos, eye patches, pirate earrings, candy, lip glosses(girls). I opted not to do it this cruise as we have 16 family members going and so I will just create Tinkerbell packages for all the kids. The last cruise my in-laws didn't participate and my niece kept asking the kids about their surprises and I felt bad as she didn't get anything. Luckily I packed an extra FE gift for her from us.

I made ornaments last year for our cabin gift. I bought the flat clear glass ones, filled them with floor wax, swished it around, dumped it out, added red fine glitter and covered the inside with the glitter. I used my silhouette machine to cut out Mickey ears, the Magic, the date, out of vinyl and adhered them to the front. I added black tulle to form the bow hanger. I placed each one wrapped up in a hard take out style box with anchors in the front. For the teens, I took empty Starbucks frapucino bottles, spray painted the lid, cut out mustaches out of black vinyl and the words "My stache." I filled it with different kinds of mini size candies and tied the tops with tulle. Little kids got pirate bags with compasses, tattoos, eye patches, pirate earrings, candy, lip glosses(girls). I opted not to do it this cruise as we have 16 family members going and so I will just create Tinkerbell packages for all the kids. The last cruise my in-laws didn't participate and my niece kept asking the kids about their surprises and I felt bad as she didn't get anything. Luckily I packed an extra FE gift for her from us.

Sounds great...would love to see pics if u can post :)

Can any1 tell me some threads/boards that I can look at pictures of the doors of past cruisers and more FE gifts etc.. I just love seeing all the pictures...Ty friends

I made ornaments last year for our cabin gift. I bought the flat clear glass ones, filled them with floor wax, swished it around, dumped it out, added red fine glitter and covered the inside with the glitter. I used my silhouette machine to cut out Mickey ears, the Magic, the date, out of vinyl and adhered them to the front. .

This is exactly what I did for our last cruise in April on the Wonder. Except I put the DCL Logo, then Disney Wonder and the date on the back. I also used plastic flat ones, I don't think glass would have made it thru all the different modes of transportation (truck, plane, shuttle, underground shuttle, taxi, ect..) we needed to use to get there.

Hello everyone,

I am going to be having a small wedding aboard the Disney Dream this September (3 night) and really wanted to surprise the guests and hang fish extenders for some small gifts throughout the cruise. I am not crafty and was wondering if anyone made these? I am looking to buy 9 for a reasonable price. All but one need to have two pockets.

Thank you for you're help!

Hello everyone,

I am going to be having a small wedding aboard the Disney Dream this September (3 night) and really wanted to surprise the guests and hang fish extenders for some small gifts throughout the cruise. I am not crafty and was wondering if anyone made these? I am looking to buy 9 for a reasonable price. All but one need to have two pockets.

Ikea and amazon used to have hanging pockets that you could buy and decorate for your guests. If you look back through this thread (or use search) you should find the links.

Good luck! It's a great idea!!

Hello everyone,

There are several people on Etsy who sell them, just be careful and check their feedback (I've heard of problems with one or two). The Ikea pockets are great if you are up to decorating them. They have 3 pockets to them (cost $5, plus shipping if you are not nearby one of the stores, plus any items you purchase for decorating). Another option is just to buy tote bags and decorate them. You can pick those up at Michaels, Joann Fabrics, or even the dollar store. There are threads that have pictures of all the alternative things people use instead of the more traditional multi-pocket hangers.

Hello everyone,

Hi Chippydale! I make fish extenders and my Etsy shop name is below - feel free to message me on Etsy if I can help. :goodvibes

This will be my first FE participation and I've gotten some amazing ideas from this thread so I'm subscribing so it's easier to find. I don't consider myself to be that creative but I'm sure I can come up with something. :artist:

Hello everyone,

I just went to Ikea and bought this for $4.99, it's off-white, with light red and light green (it looks white, red, and blue online). I am going to go to Michael's and pick up some stuff to embellish it with. I'm not a sewer, so this seemed like a good substitute!

(Sorry, can't post links yet, but you can search ikea online, they are available for shipping)

PYSSLINGAR Wall Pockets

Well now that I have a gazillion different ideas I have to figure out what I want to focus on!!

Has anyone who has done coasters had luck with getting them to be not-sticky?

Also thinking of little purse kits (with little folding scissors, mini super glue, band aids, etc...all that stuff a mom might need in a pinch)... anyone know where you can get tiny tubes of super glue?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter