Homemade autograph books...

:thumbsup2 I LOVE the clipboard idea!!

My DD was 5 the first time we went, and of course I bought TWO autograph books - one of the Princess ones where you can insert pics and then a plain one when she ran out of pages... She still looks at those 3 years later, but I wish I could've used them to put in the scrapbook... This idea is perfect!

I'm going to check out Staples or Walmart for a clipboard today and I can't wait to show DD8!! :woohoo:

Thanks for posting all the great pics. And I have PLENTY of time to make this - we aren't going until November. I need all the crafty time I can get since I'm not that crafty!!!

We've only been once, and I ordered Autograph books from ebay. They were the regular spiral bound with Princesses on them. Since they didn't fill it up, I thought about dating the autographs they got, and letting them just use the same one for this trip. I still might do that, but since reading this thread I've been bitten by the craft bug again!

Let me know if I got this straight:

Buy small clipboards & decorate w/scrapbook supplies & modge podge
Use cardstock for autograph pages - :confused: Can I buy 3x5 or do I need to cut it myself? :confused3
I can print autograph pages by the DISigners or use blank ones. I can carry the loose pages in a ziploc and pull out the characters pages as needed or a blank one for a character that we do not have a printed page for (decorate it later)
Then when we get home, put these all into a scrapbook (or album) with pics that were taken with each character.

Sound right? If so, I can do that easily!! Well, I've never used modge podge before, so we'll see!

Thanks for this great idea!

I just bought my clipboard and the modge podge stuff. I need to hit the scrapbooking store near me for some Disney papers. I got the brown clip board. Do I need to lightly sand it first? I thought I read that some where. I'm so excited to try this. If the first one turns out then I'll do my one for the other 2 kids....if they want them. We are also going to try the tye dye shirts I read oabout on the dis boards and I'm working on an autograph book. WOO HOO, you all have inspired me....oh and I also plan some iron on transfers! YIPPEE!!! :)

Let me know if I got this straight:

Buy small clipboards & decorate w/scrapbook supplies & modge podge
yep, you can buy the clipboards at Walmart or Staples, small ones. The Walmart ones are plastic and the Staples ones are brown masonite

Use cardstock for autograph pages - :confused: Can I buy 3x5 or do I need to cut it myself? :confused3
You can use index cards or buy 12x12 sheets of cardstock and cut them down. This is what I did.

I can print autograph pages by the DISigners or use blank ones. I can carry the loose pages in a ziploc and pull out the characters pages as needed or a blank one for a character that we do not have a printed page for (decorate it later)
yep, but if you use the tags you don't need to haul all the extra paper around.

Then when we get home, put these all into a scrapbook (or album) with pics that were taken with each character.
Yep again, you can do pic on 1 page and autographs on the facing page or all in one, etc....
Sound right? If so, I can do that easily!! Well, I've never used modge podge before, so we'll see!

sounds like you have a handle on things!! Have fun making everything!!

I just bought my clipboard and the modge podge stuff. I need to hit the scrapbooking store near me for some Disney papers. I got the brown clip board. Do I need to lightly sand it first? I thought I read that some where. I'm so excited to try this. If the first one turns out then I'll do my one for the other 2 kids....if they want them. We are also going to try the tye dye shirts I read oabout on the dis boards and I'm working on an autograph book. WOO HOO, you all have inspired me....oh and I also plan some iron on transfers! YIPPEE!!! :)

yes give it a quick go over with light grit sand paper. It helps the Mod Podge(MP) stick. Make sure you use light layers of MP, if it gets to heavy it won't dry.

Does it matter if I use plastic or masonite clipboards? Does the modge podge work better on one or the other?

What are "tags"?

thanks for sharing your clipboards. I just went to AC Moore and bought the $1 clipboard, modge podge and some cardstock for tags. You have so inspired me!

Thanks so much for your help on this. I never, ever would have even thought of this, let alone that I could do it and post about it!

I didn't have time to apply the 4 layers yet (since my DD woke up from her nap) but here is the almost finished product. I just may go out and buy another clipboard to make some more. This was fun to do (except for getting the paper around the 'clip').

Thanks for opening up my world to Modge Podge and wood products!

FRONT:
JPEG017.jpg

BACK:
JPEG018.jpg

marshay,
those are so great! are they the wood ones or the plastic ones. i bought 2 plastic ones at walmart over the weekend. so what's my 1st step?????

do i decorate and then just modpodge? i hope mine come out as good as yours did. and are you going to use plain color for your tags? i started cutting mine out in colors but not sure if that's what i want to do!! i thought i'd do pooh colors (pink, orange,yellow, blue/gray) for the crystal palace supper, but then thought what if i can't match it to our pages when we get home...??? does that make any sense? so then i thought i'd do just plain white? anyone have any ideas????

marshay it looks FABULOUS!!!!!
Make sure you give plenty of drying time between layers of Mod Podge, but it dries quickly. And you may need more than 4 layers, you want to make sure that you get good coverage around the edges of your embellishments so they don't peel up. That happened to my Peter Pan one.

The clip was the toughest part but a little snipping and clipping and your good. It looks great!

marshay,
those are so great! are they the wood ones or the plastic ones. i bought 2 plastic ones at walmart over the weekend. so what's my 1st step?????

do i decorate and then just modpodge? i hope mine come out as good as yours did. and are you going to use plain color for your tags? i started cutting mine out in colors but not sure if that's what i want to do!! i thought i'd do pooh colors (pink, orange,yellow, blue/gray) for the crystal palace supper, but then thought what if i can't match it to our pages when we get home...??? does that make any sense? so then i thought i'd do just plain white? anyone have any ideas????

I would guess it is wood. Mine are the ones from Walmart.

I'm going to make a new thread with instructions so we can put it in the swap glossary.

Oh and for colored tags I used pale colors then they would most likely match. For the most part I used off white though. I'm not a fan of the stark white paper.

I would guess it is wood. Mine are the ones from Walmart.

I'm going to make a new thread with instructions so we can put it in the swap glossary.

Oh and for colored tags I used pale colors then they would most likely match. For the most part I used off white though. I'm not a fan of the stark white paper.

thanks buffy. i think i'll go with some kind of white!

marshay,

Mine was the $1 wood one from AC Moore (unfinished, blond wood).

For me the hardest part was deciding on the design. Steps were really easy. Sand. Cut paper to size. Mod Podge to clipboard. Add embellishments. Now I need to Mod Podge my layers...will probably do one layer every other day to be sure they dry.

My tags are just going to be white but if I get creative enough I will put a character sticker on them and then take a paper towel and ink and stamp/sponge/dust the tags with appropriate colors.

I've never done autographs before so not sure if I should just leave them blank or decorate...

You can do either, just remember that the characters will take up the whole space when they can. So the head characters may not see any embellishments and might write on them.

No need to wait a whole day for layers, just an hour or so. You'll see when you put it on, the glue will be opaque in color but will dry clear.

You can do either, just remember that the characters will take up the whole space when they can. So the head characters may not see any embellishments and might write on them.

No need to wait a whole day for layers, just an hour or so. You'll see when you put it on, the glue will be opaque in color but will dry clear.

Sounds like I'll wait on the embellishments...besides when I put them in a scrapbook, I'll be adding character stickers then, so guess there is no need to do it twice.

Ok, cool on the drying. THen I may actually finish this by tomorrow.

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter