home resort or cheaper points

kristytru

A dream is a wish your heart makes...
I would like to add on a small contract to our existing one at VWL. Hubby thinks we should buy VB or OKW contract because they have the lowest per point price. I think we should buy where we plan on staying (no chance of us ever staying at VB or HH). would love to hear what some of you "seasoned DVC'ers" think.:hippie:

tell DH that he must take into consideration the MF for VB. It may seem like a good deal upfront, but if you're never planning on staying there why would you want to pay the MF (which I believe are the most expensive)?

I would buy where you want to stay. Then you have 11 month priority with all your points.

If you purchased a small add-on at OKW, which I loved, you would only have those OKW points at 11months, and have to wait till 7 months if you wanted to book extra nights at VWL.

Hope that helps a little. :goodvibes:

It is important to look at maintenance dues.

VB is $5.63 per point, OKW is $4.40, SSR is $4.12. On a 150 point contract, that's $227 less for SSR vs VB for this year alone. I'd also be careful of Vero because of the hurricane risk. In the unlikely event the resort is destroyed, you could be out of the DVC system.

I agree maintenance fees are probably the biggest concern They will cost more over the life of the contract than the buy in amount.

When will you be booking? Can you utilize the 11 month window? If you can and you will then I'd suggest buying where you want to stay. If you will be booking at 7 months or less I'd suggest buying where the cost of ownership is less. In that case I'd suggest OKW for it's balance of lower buy in, lower point requirements to stay and fairly low dues.

Good luck with this.

Then there is no reason to own there and pay higher MFs as already mentioned. Go with OKW, low MF and room point costs are the lowest. However, the cost difference compared to VWL is minimal, especially with a small contract. Why not simply add on VWL and have more 11 month power.

(no chance of us ever staying at VB or HH).

I have to second the idea of adding on a small contract at your current home resort unless you are adding on enough to make a good 11 month booking at a different one. Might as well get that 11 month advantage with whatever you add on. Now, if you were specifically looking to always stay at VB or OKW, then the choice might be to add on enough points to make 1/3 what would be needed for a reservation there. Then you could have a nice stay every third year. That is what we are planning to do when AKV opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter