Holy Diagon Alley Batman!

A large part of the appeal of the HP books are that they don't feel like a young adult book. They truly appeal to all ages. I love to read and out of all the books I have read, the Harry Potter books rank among my all time favorites. In the later books in the series I felt like she was pulling from current events, and transporting them into the Potter world. I don't know much about her personal story, but I bet I could guess as to what her personal politics are ;)

Not to get too off topic, but the "adult" books she did are also very good. The Casual Vacancy was so depressing, but so well written. Cuckoo's Calling was so good I couldn't put it down.

Harry Potter and his world are truly special and because it was so well done it resonates with a lot of people.

I completely agree with everything you said about the HP books. They are among my all-time favorites, too.

I haven't read The Casual Vacancy, but I loved Cuckoo's Calling and just started The Silkworm. :)

What? When? What channel? I have not seen a single commercial. Nothing. Disney was doing a blitz in May, and there was nothing on universal. How could I miss that?

I'm in Southern Ontario too and have seen tons of Universal commercials.

Do people consider Toronto Southern Ontario? I do - but maybe I should have been more specific.

As far as the network the ads were placed on - I would not have noted at the time, but basically all we watch broadcast-wise (i.e. non-Netflix or Apple TV) is pretty much YTV, Family, CP24 and City (definitely on those) and the sports networks. UO ads certainly run on the "kids" channels - all the time here - as my daughter yells out "Universal" when I am fast-forwarding through the commercials.

I completely agree with everything you said about the HP books. They are among my all-time favorites, too.

I haven't read The Casual Vacancy, but I loved Cuckoo's Calling and just started The Silkworm. :)
I'm 53 and am a HP addict. I didn't like the movies, because so many great details were missing. Each book could've been made into a 2 part movie, at least.
I didn't start reading HP until I watched a depressed woman with Ovarian Cancer transform into an energetic little kid when she was engrossed in the tale. It convinced me to try 1 book and by the time I finished it, I was hooked.

One day I was having problems with a printer at work and I mumbled something about it being "ridicularus" and this Chinese person in the office who didn't speak very much English, looked at me and said Harry Potter! It was a great ice breaker. HP is a worldwide phenom.

I bow to JK Rowling as the goddess of story telling. I also have an abiding respect for anyone who is able to turn kids on to the magic of reading.

Disney should focus all efforts on Star Wars. Forget Avatar. A Star Wars park or land has so much potential and the appeal/fan base even greater than HP.

The comments about connecting with Universal are interesting. I know that I do. I always feel that lump in my throat when I first walk through Citywalk on my way to one of the parks. It's the same lump I always got at WDW.

I haven't read the Harry Potter books but I did like the movies. It wouldn't matter though because I've always loved castles and dragons and magic.

The comments about connecting with Universal are interesting. I know that I do. I always feel that lump in my throat when I first walk through Citywalk on my way to one of the parks. It's the same lump I always got at WDW.

Wow... what is it about Citywalk that could possibly make people feel that way? I thought it was a bunch of shops and restaurants. :confused3

Wow... what is it about Citywalk that could possibly make people feel that way? I thought it was a bunch of shops and restaurants. :confused3
I love the sense of excitement which the music and overall look of the place just adds to. I know what's coming and I'm very excited and happy.

It's a different feeling from WDW which is all about nostalgia and childhood memories for me. It's hard to explain...I guess that you either get it or you don't.

The anticipation and seeing the Port Of Entry Lighthouse and the Universal Globe as you are walking through knowing you are there. Its quite moving especially if you have good memories with friends and family there.

Mine is the watery smell of the ET ride. I don't know what it is but that to me signals it's vacation time.

Does anyone ever think the lighthouse tower reminds them of the "eye of Sauron" from lord of the rings?

I currently live in the UK. We cannot turn on the tv without seeing a WDW ad. They're everywhere in print as well, in subway stations, magazines, and newspapers. I have never seen a Universal advertisement here.

They actually still have walk-in travel agencies here, with the walls of brochures, etc. Nothing on Universal, as far as I have seen.

Interesting when you consider how WDW markets itself as a destination, whereas Universal seems to be more of a "while you're in Orlando, come on over for a few days before you head home" sort of strategy. I've never seen a Universal ticket thing at Costco that is for 7-10 days. It's always 2, maybe 3 days.

VP

Hey I'm also in the uk and I was saying the other day how you can't look anywhere without seeing a universal add haha (disney too!) it's gettin me too excited for my August trip seeing them everywhere,literally the past 4 times I've been to the cinema the universal diagon alley add has been on and I've seen it on TV loads too,also every time I watch a video on YouTube but that may be because they know I watch loads of videos about it lol. How strange that where you are there's nothing,I'm up north and it's everywhere :D

Wow. That's interesting. My kids are too old for the kiddie channels, and I never watch city tv. I do watch sporting events ( was there any during FIFA? I never saw any) and the local news station.

Interesting too that we have two posters from England giving completely different reports too. Seems like there are some big gaps in the media spread for universal. It would make you think that it's not worth targeting certain demographics. But on the other hand, Disney blitzes several channels that I watch.

The idea that people here know nothing about Universal, and so much about Disney, comes from casual conversation and trip planning. A newb who has never gone to Disney and asks for my help, always knows there is a variety of on site hotels, parks and even transportation. But none of them know that Universal has on site hotels. Not a single one has known that there is a water park associated with Uni either. And many people, even on these boards I would guess, know that there is a 'free' shuttle service from the on site hotels to the water park.

In recent years, the amount of confusion by the newb about 'the studios' is astounding. I can't tell you how many people think that they can visit Harry Potter on a WDW ticket. To me this demonstrates a serious lack of branding by Universal as well. Also due maybe to Disney's renaming of Hollywood studios to just the studios as well.

Wow. That's interesting. My kids are too old for the kiddie channels, and I never watch city tv. I do watch sporting events ( was there any during FIFA? I never saw any) and the local news station.

Interesting too that we have two posters from England giving completely different reports too. Seems like there are some big gaps in the media spread for universal. It would make you think that it's not worth targeting certain demographics. But on the other hand, Disney blitzes several channels that I watch.

The idea that people here know nothing about Universal, and so much about Disney, comes from casual conversation and trip planning. A newb who has never gone to Disney and asks for my help, always knows there is a variety of on site hotels, parks and even transportation. But none of them know that Universal has on site hotels. Not a single one has known that there is a water park associated with Uni either. And many people, even on these boards I would guess, know that there is a 'free' shuttle service from the on site hotels to the water park.

In recent years, the amount of confusion by the newb about 'the studios' is astounding. I can't tell you how many people think that they can visit Harry Potter on a WDW ticket. To me this demonstrates a serious lack of branding by Universal as well. Also due maybe to Disney's renaming of Hollywood studios to just the studios as well.

I've seen lots on HGTV Canada and the DIY network Canada through Expressvu.

Interesting too that we have two posters from England giving completely different reports too. Seems like there are some big gaps in the media spread for universal.

FWIW, I'm one of those posters (the one who never sees Universal ads) but I'm actually in Scotland. However....

I just went to see How to Train Your Dragon. Granted, it's a Universal movie, but I had to laugh when there were 20 minutes of ads for Florida and, you guessed it, Universal. So nevermind my earlier post. I was watching the Universal ad and realizing that my big kids would probably love it. I turned to my husband and said, "Do you hear that? That's the sound of my Disney heart breaking. I think it's time to take the big kids to Universal."

That said, my three will always love Disney. My oldest is gunning for the college program and a Disney Parks career. :)

VP

FWIW, I'm one of those posters (the one who never sees Universal ads) but I'm actually in Scotland. However....

I just went to see How to Train Your Dragon. Granted, it's a Universal movie, but I had to laugh when there were 20 minutes of ads for Florida and, you guessed it, Universal. So nevermind my earlier post. I was watching the Universal ad and realizing that my big kids would probably love it. I turned to my husband and said, "Do you hear that? That's the sound of my Disney heart breaking. I think it's time to take the big kids to Universal."

That said, my three will always love Disney. My oldest is gunning for the college program and a Disney Parks career. :)

VP
How to Train Your Dragon is actually a DreamWorks product but of course they have a good relationship with Universal and are big Disney rivals.

Word on the street is that the wait for Gringotts was down to 90 minutes today. It sounds like they are starting to work out the kinks.:thumbsup2

And on a side note...Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a great film!

There were some adds for the new Potter attractions on the World Cup coverage, but not that many. ABC Family ran a Harry Potter movie marathon this weekend (like they do fairly regularly) and as you'd expect there were a BUNCH of ads on that channel.

Word on the street is that the wait for Gringotts was down to 90 minutes today. It sounds like they are starting to work out the kinks.:thumbsup2

And on a side note...Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a great film!

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes best movie of 2014 so far...no doubt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter