Holy Diagon Alley Batman!

I'm considering trimming 1 day off my trip in Feb to go to Universal. The first time in years I would have ever considered doing that. I'm sure there are thousands thinking of doing the same right now.

It won't. Unless you're with Disney's thinking and think that nice and fancy queues are what people like.

SDMT is just fine if you go in expecting a mild kid coaster and not some big wow knock your socks off ride. It's cute, it's fun, it's exactly what it set out to be IMO.

It would appear as universal has now started doing what Disney used to do. I believe they have indeed stolen some of the magic away.

Disney still does it...just not as much at WDW lately. Check out Carsland at DCA or Mystic Manor in Hong Kong (Wow, the videos of that are AMAZING!).

Huge HP fan here. I cried when I visited The Wizarding World. My best friend and I spent 5 hours there last year. If you've been there, you know it's not the biggest area so how we got caught up for 5 hours is beyond me. I'm so excited to see Diagon Alley, the thought alone gives me chills.

Universal is also lucky enough to have the team behind the movies, they have J.K. Rowling approving everything. The HP fandom is dedicated and wouldn't accept anything less than perfection, so I think that is something that had to be in Universal's minds. I don't think anything Disney has done or is doing has that kind of fandom behind it, not even Avatar, so they can get away with making things that are 'less than' WWoHP.

If you could spend 5 hours in WWOHP, better set aside an entire day for Diagon Alley. DA is much larger and even more immersive. I went last Thursday and Friday and got to experience the soft opening. All I can say is Wow, the attention to detail is mind blowing. The Weasley twins joke shop looked like straight out of the movie. And on top of the Gringots ride The dragon starts roaring leading up to the beast breathing fire leading everyone in the area when we were there to cheer. A live performance of the three brothers looks like it was described in the last book. New and unusual drink flavors.Ice Cream shop with wonderful crazy flavors such as Earl Grey and Lavender, Strawberry and Peanut butter, and Chocolate Chili for the truly adventurous. Also, they have character wands you can purchase that are interactive and can cause effects to make one feel like a young wizard himself. I left out a lot because it is truly something that must be experienced to truly comprehend how great it is.

You have to like Disney World for what it is. Truth is, the parent company is pouring TONS more money into Disney than is Universal into itself, just not in Florida. There was a thread a month or two back where someone detailed the incredible array of expansions to current properties along with entirely new theme parks around the world. Disney will continue to make tons of money in Orlando without mondo-major expansions there. They are looking at the big picture. The best way to grow the company is NOT huge Florida expansions, but instead entirely new presence around the globe.

Threads like these are making re-evaluate our trip to at least consider throwing a Universal Day in there. Wife and I are both major HP geeks.

If you're major fans, give yourselves more than one day. Our first Universal trip was 4 days and it wasn't enough (we went for HP but knew we would like other things, and we did).

That Prefect story was lovely. And the TMs there continue to be amazing at their jobs. Not just the HP Team Members, either. The Jurassic Park stuff mentioned in the article? Perfect. The TMs act 100% like they are in the movies BEFORE the bad stuff happens. It's awesome, how into it they are. The lines at the candy shop/magic store (that is now, I believe, not the magic store anymore) in Hogsmeade are icky sometimes, and it starts over THERE when you might be over HERE, and it can be frustrating to figure out where to go.

I was talking about it with a TM while she was ringing me up, and she mentioned that, of course, the store was built for wizards who just pay by magic. Then the Muggles showed up, and they haven't yet made the place easy for muggles who have to pay with money. :) Just perfect.

Carsland is nice, don't get me wrong but I was kinda underwhelmed...I did enjoy the Canyon though. That itself was impressive. I just couldn't see myself spending hours upon hours there like I could with WWOHP. Mystic Manor can not go into any other park period per the contract. So its great to point at them saying yea they are doing great things but if they can't do them everywhere whats the point.

Carsland is nice, don't get me wrong but I was kinda underwhelmed...I did enjoy the Canyon though. That itself was impressive. I just couldn't see myself spending hours upon hours there like I could with WWOHP. Mystic Manor can not go into any other park period per the contract. So its great to point at them saying yea they are doing great things but if they can't do them everywhere whats the point.

I think the point is to get the people to go to it, to boost attendance in the HK park. The uniqueness is why I want to go to Tokyo DL so badly to see the things that I can't closer to home. Variety is a good thing.

Disney still does it...just not as much at WDW lately. Check out Carsland at DCA or Mystic Manor in Hong Kong (Wow, the videos of that are AMAZING!).

And don't forget about Shanghai. That is where the real innovation (and money) is being diverted. (And they are apparently getting a Tron Coaster that most people on this board would likely complain about because it is "not appropriate for a Disney park").

My brother works at Universal and he said (regarding the DA opening), he was going to crawl under the covers and turn his phone off :lmao: gonna be crazy crowded! Of course, he always goes to Disney on his days off instead of Universal, but I guess he doesn't want to play where he works...:moped: DA looks pretty cool though.

If you could spend 5 hours in WWOHP, better set aside an entire day for Diagon Alley. DA is much larger and even more immersive. I went last Thursday and Friday and got to experience the soft opening. All I can say is Wow, the attention to detail is mind blowing. The Weasley twins joke shop looked like straight out of the movie. And on top of the Gringots ride The dragon starts roaring leading up to the beast breathing fire leading everyone in the area when we were there to cheer. A live performance of the three brothers looks like it was described in the last book. New and unusual drink flavors.Ice Cream shop with wonderful crazy flavors such as Earl Grey and Lavender, Strawberry and Peanut butter, and Chocolate Chili for the truly adventurous. Also, they have character wands you can purchase that are interactive and can cause effects to make one feel like a young wizard himself. I left out a lot because it is truly something that must be experienced to truly comprehend how great it is.

Our one day in October is for Harry Potter, and if we somehow have more time left over we will look at other parts of the parks lol Next May we will have a few days there thankfully.

I haven't looked at a lot of pics yet, and I have the making of special on my DVR. I don't know if I want to go in and be surprised or see what there is to get excited.

We just added an extra day to our trip in October to see it - so excited! I did WWoHP Hogsmeade last year and it was amazing, I cannot wait to see DA!

And don't forget about Shanghai. That is where the real innovation (and money) is being diverted. (And they are apparently getting a Tron Coaster that most people on this board would likely complain about because it is "not appropriate for a Disney park").

Dang that looks huge, thanks.

A lot of folks didn't like the tall skeleton look of coasters, this appears to be mostly indoors and low to the ground so might pass the "look" test. ;) Will see.

Maybe similar to these from Micechat?

tron3.jpg

troncoaster2.png

My best friend and I spent 5 hours there last year. If you've been there, you know it's not the biggest area so how we got caught up for 5 hours is beyond me.

i can understand. we did 8 hours in just that area too, even tho dueling dragons was down for refurb. we didn't see anything other than seuss land and that was because we had to walk through it. DD14 is a crazy potterhead and went in full "school uniform". the attention to detail was astounding and the employees were so incredibly nice.

How in the world do you spend 8 hours in WWOHP?

I guess I don't get it but maybe I will as we added 2 days for Universal onto our trip this fall and staying onsite. I just feel that if you didn't need to wait in lines you could easily see both areas in a half day but with waits it likely balloons to a full day.

Give me a list of things you do then in these areas?
Forbidden Journey
Dragon Challenge
Flight of Hippogriff
Gringotts
Hogwarts Express
Sprit Rally / Frog Choir
Shopping
Admiring the Sites
Eating at one of the restaurants

Am I missing things like special things that happen through the day? Or is it more the lines that take up time?

How in the world do you spend 8 hours in WWOHP?

I guess I don't get it but maybe I will as we added 2 days for Universal onto our trip this fall and staying onsite. I just feel that if you didn't need to wait in lines you could easily see both areas in a half day but with waits it likely balloons to a full day.

Give me a list of things you do then in these areas?
Forbidden Journey
Dragon Challenge
Flight of Hippogriff
Gringotts
Hogwarts Express
Sprit Rally / Frog Choir
Shopping
Admiring the Sites
Eating at one of the restaurants

Am I missing things like special things that happen through the day? Or is it more the lines that take up time?

Well I'm not the 8 hour person but for us we did the rides numerous times, we didn't rush anything. We just enjoyed just the fact that we were in the WWoHP. In January we went for the Celebration of Harry Potter and spent 3 days at Universal. I'd said 75-80% of each day was spent doing HP stuff. I could ride Forbidden Journey all day long and not get sick of it.

I can't wait to see it.

Instead of 5 days at Disney, I'm only doing 4 days at Disney and 1 Day at Universal. I've got my room booked at RPR.

I wish Disney in Florida would pick up the pace with their new attractions - I have started asking myself why should I keep giving them my vacation dollars when Universal keeps adding attractions that are just as themed at a faster pace.

I'm seriously considering reducing Disney down to 3 days on my solo spring Flower and Garden Festival trip so I can spend 2 days at Universal.

Ahhh my parents were smart getting 1 day US tickets for their trip in Nov. Sadly they arrive 2 days before us and are planning their US day for a day we are not there yet... I am really doing this next year! I can't take it. From what I've seen on tv/online alone, I am blown away and I am sure that does not justice to actually being there! I am not even a HP fan but this just looks too good. I haven't even been to US since 1994 so when I go I'm thinking I'm going to need 2 day hopper for US/IOA because I have A LOT of catching up to do. ::yes::

Got into a soft opening today. I'm going to do a full trip report when we get back, but my 1st reaction after picking my jaw up off the ground, honestly was of sadness. I'm not a Potter fan at all. Saw the movies and didn't really even care for them, but even I was blown away. How did Universal accomplish this in 2 years??? It was mind - boggling. It convinced me more than ever that Disney truly has been phoning it in since at least 1998. Bizarre feeling. Almost one of embarrassment.

We'll be at Disney in 2 days. Just hoping 7DMT can somehow restore my faith.

This is the point I always make for the naysayers of AVATARLAND.
It's up to WDW/JCameron to blow us away:) Pray::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter