holy cow! WHAT a difference vinegar makes!

One more random vinegar use: white vinegar cures the hiccups, 100% of the time! Just pour about an ounce (or a "shot") in a cup and then drink it down quickly in one gulp. It's nasty, but your hiccups will be gone immediately!

I don't think I could drink vinegar. I'll stick with my method: teaspoon of sugar. Works every time!

Thanks for the tip OP.:goodvibes I will definitely give it a try. I stopped using fabric softener awhile ago after reading about causes of dry skin (book written by my dermatologist). Years ago I read about not using fabric softener on towels, especially 100% cotton, as it makes them less absorbent.

I use vinegar and water on our windows; to get hard water off counters (especially around the faucet); and thanks to a recommendation from my granite installer, about a 1:3 mix of vinegar and water to clean our granite coutertops. Works great!

We buy our vinegar at WM. I think I'm going to check at Sams and see how much they sell it for (and if I can fit the huge container in my pantry;) )

White Vinegar is also a natural De-greaser as well. When I clean the kitchen I pour a little on my wet washcloth and it cleans the stove nicely. This is on a regular stove.

Has anyone ever used the white distilled vinegar as a hair rinse? If so, how?

I've never used white distilled vinegar for this. It's always been apple cider vinegar that I've seen recommended as a hair rinse. When I do it, I use 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water.

Going back to the laundry thing, in addition to using Vinegar, I started making my own laundry detergent...My $15 investment in these ingredients should yield enough detergent for about 450 loads making it about 3 cents per load, plus the cost of the vinegar.

So, what do you keep your soap concoction in after you've made it?? Is it ok to use in the front loaders?

Ang

I'm willing to give this a try!

Can anyone tell me if it can be used in a front loader, that calls for the HD only detergent? Or is it HE? Something like that...

I'm willing to give this a try!

Can anyone tell me if it can be used in a front loader, that calls for the HD only detergent? Or is it HE? Something like that...

I actually use that recipe for my laundry soap, too. (I make like a quadruple batch since my kids like to take some home with them after a visit..) I also have a front loader washer. So, yes you can.

So, what do you keep your soap concoction in after you've made it?? Is it ok to use in the front loaders?

Ang

I had a friend at work who was willing to try it on her front loader, and after some coaxing she said it worked great. She is now making her own as well.

Ang

I have mine in a plastic container will a locking lid. Anything with a lid should work fine.

Thanks for the tip! I need to start buying gallon jugs of white vinegar, asap! We bought a new washer/dryer a couple months ago and they've been designated fabric softener free zones, as I'm going to be cloth diapering once my little one arrives this summer, and I've heard that fabric softener (even the residue in the washer/dryer - I read one DIS member's rant that her diapers were plastered in the stuff after washing them in a WDW resort laundry room) can ruin cloth diapers by making them less absorbent. The only problem is, my towels are so scratchy, now! :lmao:

One more random vinegar use: white vinegar cures the hiccups, 100% of the time! Just pour about an ounce (or a "shot") in a cup and then drink it down quickly in one gulp. It's nasty, but your hiccups will be gone immediately!

I use vinegar for all of my diaper loads and it works great! I have mostly cotton prefolds and a had a few cotton fitteds for the newborn stage. You might want to check and make sure the vinegar is safe if you have any fleece-lined diapers. I think it's probably fine but the pocket and all in ones can be a bit finicky to wash I've heard.

I had read a post a while back that said that the home made laundry detergent can fade colors. Has anyone noticed this happening? I am interested in trying to make some but am wondering if I should not use it on my darks? :confused3

I have been making my own laundry soap for about a year and haven't noticed any fading, and I wear dark blue shirts for work everyday.
I can't believe how much of my money Tide got from me before but never again.
I am glad to find the vinegar tips and will try adding that as well.
:flower3:

I just did a load of laundry with the vinegar and I'm anxious to see them when they are dry. My Mom had a piece of furniture delivered and the man asked her if she polished her kitchen cabinets which she did he told her she had a wax build up and to clean them with vinegar and water to bring back the she so she did and they looked like new. Linda :)

That's very interesting about putting it in you laundry. I'll have to try that.

It also works great for cleaning out you coffee maker. My family puts vinegar on their green beans:scared:. I always thought that was gross. Does anyone else do that?

How funny you posted this, I JUST got done washing some towels in white vinegar. The reason I'm doing it, is in a last ditch attempt to get the mold smell out of them. If this doesn't work, I'm probably going to have to toss them...

That's very interesting about putting it in you laundry. I'll have to try that.

It also works great for cleaning out you coffee maker. My family puts vinegar on their green beans:scared:. I always thought that was gross. Does anyone else do that?

I had almost forgotten about this! Yes, my mom did it when we were growing up. Not sure where she got it from. My father was from Pennsylvania Dutch country. Maybe from there?

My father also used to put vinegar, salt, pepper, and a little sugar on tomatoes. Served with a slice of butter bread. Yum!

I use vinegar to get stains out of my carpets. Just pour it on and let it sit for a minute and then blot it out with a white cloth.

It worked wonders when my DD had the stomach bug and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time and the night befores dinner ended up on the carpet (spag & meatballs)!

A few years back a wise mom told me to use vinegar in the wash to clean soccer socks and get the smell out - it worked!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter