Holidays are over now--what will you do differently next year?

Honestly, we had a fantastic Christmas this year, but still plan to do things drastically different next year. We always have 3 get-togethers with family on Christmas day. We go to Dh's mom's house for breakfast at 7 a.m. Then we go to his grandmother's house (in a completely different city) for lunch at noon. Then, around 2:30 or 3 we go to yet another town to see my family and have another huge meal. It is fun, but very tiring. It also is too much food in one day.

So, next year my mom has decided that it would be easier on us (and the new baby that will arive a few months from now) if we do things a bit differently. We are going to still go to his family's house(s) on Christmas day. But we are going to celebrate Christmas with my family the following week...perhaps around New Year's. We haven't quite worked out all of the details yet, but my mom likes the idea of being able to buy my new DD toys from an after Christmas sale, and I am sure that DD will like the idea of Christmas 2 times in one year. I like the idea of having time at home just the 3 of us in the evening on Christmas and not running around so much.

I think I could back off on the hundreds and hundreds of cookies - LOL..

And next year - if our finances are better - I would like to try to shop in some of the more obscure little shops rather than the "chains" or the malls..

Oh - and I definitely want to spend more time driving around looking at the Christmas lights and I would also like to attend a church service somewhere on Christmas Eve..

It will be hard to top this Christmas as we spent in on the Disney Magic. Snorkeling with stingrays on Christmas Eve, Mass on the ship, doing Sea Trekkin on Christmas Day. Next year will be back to the normal routines at home. We'll put up the big tree that we didn't put up this year and we'll decorate more. It was nice to take a break away from things for a year. :D

well, we went $600 over our Christmas budget this year so I definately need to try and save more during the year.

I think I'll stick with encouraging the kids to think of 1 big significant present that they want instead of stacks of $20 toys and stuff. It is less to deal with and the definately seem to appreciate it more. This year "Santa" didn't wrap his presents and I think that is a tradition that will continue.

Santa also needs to rethink his stocking strategy. They are typically filled with stuff from the Dollar store and I think 80% of it is in the trash within a week.

I am also seriously considering an artificial tree for next year. I love real trees, but the smell seemed to give me headaches and a stuffy nose this year.

i won't do anything different. This year I made the decision to not drive 400 miles to visit parents & grandparents, and ya know what--they all lived. :earseek:Between my DHs heart problems, my younger son's autism, and my older son's bipolar depression, i just didn't have the energy. :faint: This year we stayed home. I figured, if they want to see us, well, they know where we are.

My 18yo & 11yo were thrilled to get to do fun things with their friends. My DH took long naps.We shopped for kids who are hospitalized and wrapped presents for another family. The only decorations we had were the ones the kids put up. We took in a few musical concerts and sang carols in the bitter cold. We made a family trip to Chattanooga to see the Aquarium. I baked only the kinds of cookies the DH & kids like. I didn't make baklava!

Yep, it was a great Christmas. :thewave:

Cathy

Well I didn't get to do as much this year as I would have liked because of my pregnancy and having to stay off my feet most of the time so next year I am looking forward to getting back into the stores to shop instead of doing it all online, baking and helping more with the decorations. :)

I'm not sure what DH has planned, but I KNOW that I won't be with his family ever again! Hopefully we'll spend Christmas alone at home, or with friends.

(When I mentioned the subject of this thread, DH started laughing and said "I shudder to think what you are saying." Nope, no details, just that I've learned a lesson...)

Less cookies and candy...ugh I think I am going to die of chocolate poisoning.

All in all it was a great Christmas. I would really, really like to go to an all inclusive resort in the Bahamas and skip everything all together for 1 year, just to see how it feels.

I want to do less traveling and more staying at home. We were on the road way too much and it made all of us crankly.

I also want to spend less on gifts and more on just plain fun things to do. We need to enjoy our holidays more.

Well I have not getting upset to look forward to. DH has already told me he cant take off christmas week because of a big project so we will see my 2 aunts sometime in january. hmm. what happened this year. Aunt #1 asked us to visit her at her place of employment, a cemetary office. Nothing says the holidays more than cemetary, she says her house wasnt clean etc. same old, same old. Well at least I got to see my parents and sisters graves. My other aunt told me, gee I didnt get your message to late and I have a plan for tomm. o.k. I left her presents on her porch. She never called to thank me. She always makes homemade cookies and didnt even leave any for us. Poor little ds was so disappointed. I said dont worry. etc. I always try to be positive for my kids but they always get the raw deal from my relatives. At least next year we wont have to deal with this. And dh has a conference the 1st week of december at wdw so we might pull the 3 ds out of school early and do a little celebrating of our own.

I wil not try to cook a meal I have never tried before when I am pregnant, tired, and easily stressed. :D

Don't put DD down for a nap on Christmas Eve. She was awake until midnight! Santa couldn't get things ready until then and she (me) was falling asleep! ;) :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter