• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HoJo discount rates - BIG CHANGES!!

This is very important to those who are throwing $200 rack rates around and comparing it to what they may have been quoted in the past at a DLH or what one may get with a limited AP discount. Everything needs to be put into perspective. Comparing the best deal you were ever offered to a rack rate very few people pay at HoJos is absurd. The rack rate is not fixed. It's seasonal. So like the example above, a premium room at $79 means a rack rate of $158. A deluxe or standard room should be cheaper if available on those dates. Summer, holiday, and school break periods will always see higher rack rates and for the most part were exempt from retro rates.

Also, just to keep things in perspective. PPH rack rate for those dates is $240/night.

Amen to everything you said. Plus I like your user name.

I called and got my rooms for $69.50 a night for a double standard. I saw that some people talked about double double room. What is that? Last time I was there we stayed in building 4. What rooms are those? I thought they were double standard. It had a micro, fridge, balcony, and a closet with a rollaway. (we didn't use it) I really liked our room, and want to make sure we are getting something similar this time. I didn't book the room last time though, so I am just not sure...

Oops, it didn't have a microwave I guess.

OK, never mind, I just watched the videos on the site. I guess it was a double double. Perfect. We like to put an air mattress on the floor, and there is plenty of room in those rooms. Just wish I wasn't paying $127 for one night. :( Oh well, still a good deal with my 3 nights at $69.50...

We too recieved an email about the super family rates. We called to see if we could change one of our days to the 50% off and they said yes, but what it amounted to is just $16.00 off what we were paying anyway because they raised the regular rates so high. So it wasn't 50% off what we had originally booked at, it was 50% off what the rates are now. Still, $16.00 is $16.00!

AWESOME!!!:cheer2:

However, I am concerned....why have some people rec'd emails w/the Super Family Rate and some haven't??:confused3 Is HoJo's picking & choosing who they email??

I would really like Hojo to address this question. I still haven't received a family rate email and I'd like to know why.

Prices change. Of course, it's disappointing when prices go up, especially a lot. It perplexes me though the level of dismay and surprise over the Hojo price changes. Those retro rates really were almost too good to be true sometimes. Believe me, I took advantage of them as often as I could knowing in the back of my mind that all good things eventually come to an end. I doubt any of us are paying the same prices for gas, food, consumables, etc. that we were paying a year, two, or three ago. It seems like everything has been getting more expensive. It's also unfair to compare Hojo prices to whatever you got at PP or DLH or wherever three years ago since those prices aren't the same today either.

I was curious about price comparisons though so I looked up some old trip notes and did a little research.

We are all agreed that Hojo rack rates and discounted rates have gone up quite a bit. For August 5, 2009, I was quoted a non-discounted rate of $149 (+15% tax) for a queen/queen deluxe room in building 2. With my AP discount, I paid $119.20 + tax. The list from my notes of other places I considered staying were Fairfield, Tropicana, and Candy Cane Inn. None of them came in cheaper for a similar room type.

So last night for comparison I checked 8/5/12 without discounts for the same room type (queen/queen deluxe) and saw that the price was $199 (+17% tax). The standard AP discount would make that room $159.20, but it had the "retro" discount applicable, so that would make it $139.20. Without an AP, you can get a 10% discount with ET or AAA ($179.10). Of course, my 2009 room was booked months in advance, and I'm looking only one week out, so it is possible this year's rack rate was a tiny bit cheaper a few months ago but not having checked then I don't know. The big difference now versus 2009 is that some of the hotels I compared against before now have cheaper rooms than Hojo. The Fairfield has a two queen room for $149 (not sure about equivalency, i.e. with regard to noise might be freeway facing and doesn't have a microwave), and they charge for parking ($11 I think). Candy Cane Inn has a standard two queen room for $149 (no microwave, smaller size room, but I like the Candy Cane, it has free breakfast, free parking, and I can get an additional $10 off with AP card or AAA). Tropicana's best rate is $129 plus $9 daily for parking.

What all this means to me is that depending on what discounts one has access to, Hojo may or may not be cheaper than nearby properties, and in any case, the price gap overall has narrowed considerably giving more weight to these other properties when deliberating. This will all vary by season and availability, of course, as with any hotel. So it seems the big differences for people will be that getting low, low rates at Hojo will no longer be as easy or convenient to do, Hojo may no longer be their automatic go-to place, and people will need to do a lot more price comparisons and amenity comparisons when making their decisions. If price is the key factor in making a decision, then try out some of those other $69, $79, $89 places that have been much discussed and decide if they satisfy your needs. If location is the key factor, then compare Hojo to the nearby properties and go with the best price for whatever your most desired amenities may be (this is the way I always did it anyway, not being able to always get the retro rate at peak times, and I still ended up at Hojo more often than not). BTW, we had a great stay at Hojo last week. We had discounts but not the retro rate.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

I would really like Hojo to address this question. I still haven't received a family rate email and I'd like to know why.

I agree!:thumbsup2

I did get an email, but it just doesn't seem fair that others have not. Maybe try checking your inbox again. I initially checked when the thread was started here on the boards. I think someone said they were getting the emails approx 11AM my time, so Pacific. I looked in my inbox around that time & didn't see it. It wasn't until I scrolled down much further that I found it- I had in fact rec'd the email about 10AM.

Perhaps it has something to do with when you signed up? I did this almost immediately when I heard they were switching to this email thing- so perhaps 3 weeks ago? Or maybe they are emailing to guests who have stayed numerous times before emailing to the newbies?

And what about having to bring in your email to *prove* that you rec'd it? Gah! Is this really necessary? I was told no- another poster told yes. So which is it??

I really don't know...but I think HoJo's needs to address some of these issues. Hi HoJo folks- I'm sure you're reading.:wave2:

Thanks for your research Longtimedisneylurker!! I am interested to see how this all pans out as well. :cheer2:

Prices change. Of course, it's disappointing when prices go up, especially a lot. It perplexes me though the level of dismay and surprise over the Hojo price changes. Those retro rates really were almost too good to be true sometimes. Believe me, I took advantage of them as often as I could knowing in the back of my mind that all good things eventually come to an end. I doubt any of us are paying the same prices for gas, food, consumables, etc. that we were paying a year, two, or three ago. It seems like everything has been getting more expensive. It's also unfair to compare Hojo prices to whatever you got at PP or DLH or wherever three years ago since those prices aren't the same today either.

I was curious about price comparisons though so I looked up some old trip notes and did a little research.

We are all agreed that Hojo rack rates and discounted rates have gone up quite a bit. For August 5, 2009, I was quoted a non-discounted rate of $149 (+15% tax) for a queen/queen deluxe room in building 2. With my AP discount, I paid $119.20 + tax. The list from my notes of other places I considered staying were Fairfield, Tropicana, and Candy Cane Inn. None of them came in cheaper for a similar room type.

So last night for comparison I checked 8/5/12 without discounts for the same room type (queen/queen deluxe) and saw that the price was $199 (+17% tax). The standard AP discount would make that room $159.20, but it had the "retro" discount applicable, so that would make it $139.20. Without an AP, you can get a 10% discount with ET or AAA ($179.10). Of course, my 2009 room was booked months in advance, and I'm looking only one week out, so it is possible this year's rack rate was a tiny bit cheaper a few months ago but not having checked then I don't know. The big difference now versus 2009 is that some of the hotels I compared against before now have cheaper rooms than Hojo. The Fairfield has a two queen room for $149 (not sure about equivalency, i.e. with regard to noise might be freeway facing and doesn't have a microwave), and they charge for parking ($11 I think). Candy Cane Inn has a standard two queen room for $149 (no microwave, smaller size room, but I like the Candy Cane, it has free breakfast, free parking, and I can get an additional $10 off with AP card or AAA). Tropicana's best rate is $129 plus $9 daily for parking.

What all this means to me is that depending on what discounts one has access to, Hojo may or may not be cheaper than nearby properties, and in any case, the price gap overall has narrowed considerably giving more weight to these other properties when deliberating. This will all vary by season and availability, of course, as with any hotel. So it seems the big differences for people will be that getting low, low rates at Hojo will no longer be as easy or convenient to do, Hojo may no longer be their automatic go-to place, and people will need to do a lot more price comparisons and amenity comparisons when making their decisions. If price is the key factor in making a decision, then try out some of those other $69, $79, $89 places that have been much discussed and decide if they satisfy your needs. If location is the key factor, then compare Hojo to the nearby properties and go with the best price for whatever your most desired amenities may be (this is the way I always did it anyway, not being able to always get the retro rate at peak times, and I still ended up at Hojo more often than not). BTW, we had a great stay at Hojo last week. We had discounts but not the retro rate.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Yes!

You're SO right- it's not fair to compare HoJo's to an onsite hotel. But it IS fair to compare them to other similiar Good Neighbors. And as you've said- they are more expensive.

Frankly- I'm happy with my rate. I have 2 nights at $74.50 & 2 nights at $104. I'm hoping of course, that I can get the other 2 nights discounted. However this is MUCH better then what I was initially going to pay at $126. Which was their Best Avail rate with my then 15% ET card discount, now I believe we only get 10%. Eek! That's too high HoJos, too high!:eek:

Personally, I never felt like HoJo's standard rates were any different then any other hotels along the strip. It was the ET/Retro Rates that gave us the real discount. So its these rates that I think of when comparing what I'm paying now. We've stayed in Feb, May & Aug. I have NEVER paid more then $85/night for a deluxe king in bldg 2. If I couldn't get the ET card rate of $59 & YES- the deluxe Kings were still $59 up until about a year ago when then silently upped the rate- then I rec'd a 15% discount off their best rate, which usually meant I was paying $79/night. Even in the middle of busy season. So by comparision- they have gone WAY up.

I fully acknowledge that times are a changing. What once cost $1 will now cost $2. I'm thankful we were able to use the Retro Rates for as long as we got them and I hope they will be sending more emails to EVERYONE so that we can continue to get these great rates. But I sure do wish they would figure out exactly what they are doing, inform their staff so we all get the same information & simplify their discounts/promotions. It's just a bit of a mess right now- so let's see how it all pans out.;)

I keep wavering between HOJOs and Candy Cane Inn now. I'll be traveling with my husband, a three year old, and a 11 month old. The rooms are clean right? Should I be concerned about the bathroom cleanliness? Will the walk be doable for a three year old? We are bringing the stroller though.

I did get the super family rate (still haven't received an email though and I signed up for emails months ago, if anyone could forward me a copy, I'd be appreciative) and figured with the money saved we can bring our own breakfast items to eat.

Thanks again. I haven't between to Disneyland in almost ten years and super excited to take my kids for the first time. We are going to totally surprise them.

I keep wavering between HOJOs and Candy Cane Inn now. I'll be traveling with my husband, a three year old, and a 11 month old. The rooms are clean right? Should I be concerned about the bathroom cleanliness? Will the walk be doable for a three year old? We are bringing the stroller though.

I did get the super family rate (still haven't received an email though and I signed up for emails months ago, if anyone could forward me a copy, I'd be appreciative) and figured with the money saved we can bring our own breakfast items to eat.

Thanks again. I haven't between to Disneyland in almost ten years and super excited to take my kids for the first time. We are going to totally surprise them.

If you got the super family rate- then I say go for it!

You & your family will like the HoJo's. They are clean, the beds are comfy, the walk is do-able, and the water park for kids is great.

The property is old & many rooms do show their age. The bathrooms in all the rooms are in need of remodel but the surfaces are in indeed clean.

I would recommend that you consider going with a deluxe room. I am not a fan of the pavillon rooms- the 4 rooms in the middle of the property that have the double doubles.

I think we got two queen premium. It was the more expensive option but I read you could watch fireworks from your room so that was a plus. And it was cheaper than the basic room at CCI. The super family rate was a nice surprise. We had our room reserved already so to save a bit more was icing on the cake.

I have more questions but don't want to big down this thread. Thanks!

I think we got two queen premium. It was the more expensive option but I read you could watch fireworks from your room so that was a plus. And it was cheaper than the basic room at CCI. The super family rate was a nice surprise. We had our room reserved already so to save a bit more was icing on the cake.

I have more questions but don't want to big down this thread. Thanks!

Feel free to PM me! I'm happy to answer any questions that I can.

Edit: Never mind. I don't need the email.

I registered for emails, but none have arrived. I've checked spam and registered my wife too. Still nothing.

Thanks in advance!!
Ed

(they have a few kinks to work out here with this system.)

I think we need to give the HoJo the benefit of the doubt here. They are trying to run a business and that includes:
1) Remaining profitable
2) Retaining customers

I believe they are *trying* to do both things here. The fact is the old system was flawed, so is the new one. They are are working it out and this is unlikely to be the final, finished solution.

Also of note, the newest changes are better than the old Retro Rate for some rooms for some dates. In other words, this is not automatically an increase.

Anything that prevents people from locking up large groups of rooms for large ranges of dates that they have no intention of keeping - I'm all for that. I continue to see steady improvements at the property from year to year and I'm happy with the value.

Thanks HoJo (Anaheim - is there any other??) for EVERYTHING you do!!

EJ

ps: I don't need breakfast to keep me as a customer. I'd hate to see a poorly implemented Breakfast attempt without the facilities. Don't even bother to attempt it, please!! :goodvibes:

Perhaps it's as simple as people not having signed up for what they thought they signed up for. The signup form is a little confusing. IRC, there were separate checkmarks for AP/ET Rate, Super Family Rate, Last Minute Rate, and just informational email. Confusing enough that perhaps some people didn't check the right boxes. Or maybe HoJo's web page is buggy. I doubt that they're actually going through the signups and picking and choosing who to send them to.

ps: I don't need breakfast to keep me as a customer. I'd hate to see a poorly implemented Breakfast attempt without the facilities. Don't even bother to attempt it, please!! :goodvibes:

Agreed, but I really like the idea of them giving discount coupons to Mimi's (and McD's, for those who like that). I think it was Ski who came up with that idea.

-Bob

I was just going to mention what GrandBob mentioned above...if u haven't received an email be sure to check that you have opted in to all the emails that u wish to receive!! I got one (although I DO already have all of my dates) but I did opt in to receive almost everything! :)

You can sign up for Mimi's email list and get buy one get one free coupons.

Yep! Just make sure you sign up only a couple weeks prior to your trip. They usually send one right away as soon as you sign up & this expires within 2 weeks. So if you sign up a month out, it's likely that you won't be able to use the coupon. And don't forget- you can sign up multiple email address'.;)

And Bob- I agree on the Mimi's breakfast coupon. I discussed it earlier in this thread & I think it may have been Ski who thought of it- brilliant idea!

Jonathan from HoJo's explained why they haven't done a breakfast. I think his reasoning was very sound. They just don't have the capacity to do it right. But the fact remains, that in the higher price bracket that HoJo's has now entered- they really should feed people.:rolleyes1 And a free breakfast voucher at Mimi's would be great! Or even just a discount- say half off one breakfast for 4....something along those lines. I'm sure Mimi's wouldn't mind the extra business too. Personally, we've stayed at the Hojo a few times and only eaten at Mimi's twice. DH was very reluctant to try it. But once I got him in the doors, he was happy. So I'm sure Mimi's would like a promotion that did indeed "get people in the doors".

And they certainly don't NEED a breakfast to keep me as a customer. That's just silly!:laughing: If I can get the Super Family Rate, then frankly- they don't need to do a darn thing! But if I'm paying close to $200/night, then how in the world do you justify NOT feeding people?? Especially when the similarly priced hotels are??

I have 3 Disneyland view rooms booked from 17th October - 31st October at the Retro rate of $89 per night . When I got the email for the New Family rate I phoned to see if this was a better deal . To my surprise 4 of my nights were reduced to $79 and 2 were $84.50. There seems to be alot of negative people in this thread . I really don't understand the complaints these prices are great.

The reason some people didn't get all the emails is because they didn't tick all the boxes below.

HojoAnaheim/Disney News & Updates

Disneyland Annual Passholder Rates & Updates

Discount Rate Specials

Last Minute Deals (within 7 days)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter