Hobby ideas for tween girl

I'm in college now, but the best thing I did at 13 was quitting cheerleading, and switching to field hockey (I play in college).

If she seems to have an interest in sports but not playing them, have her look into coaching youth teams, she might be a little young still but I started coaching cheerleading around 13 and was volunteering for a special needs team around 10. She could also look into being a manager, which lets her be with her friends, but not play as well. If she wants to play sports, have her try some other ones, sometimes you are just sick of doing the same one for years.

I also was very into sewing. I believe I was just getting out of my American Girl doll phase (I played with them probably longer than I should have), so I learned how to sew and make clothes for them, and for me. I still really like sewing and it can come in handy when your clothes rip or you need an alteration. I also learned how to make Mickey Ears around the same time, which could become a hobby, or eventually, she could even make a profit from that.

If she likes computers, definitely try coding classes. I wish I would have taken them sooner, personally, it would have benefitted my career, but overall they are very helpful. I also helped with the lighting and microphones for our school plays, which was a fun experience. There should be clubs depending on the school.

My only other advice is, she is still young and school is weird right now. She will find friends and clubs that spark her interest eventually. It might just take her friend dragging her to a club meeting for her to find what she is interested in. Also, her being on computers constantly may not be the end of the world, my brother has a group of about 15 friends that met online in middle school and still talk every day now that they are in college, and she might find a passion online. Mine is sports data analytics, and I would have never found it if I wasn't scrolling through Twitter bored out of my mind during quarantine.

When I was 12, I didn't have a smart phone or a computer. I had to figure out fun on my own. Maybe she needs to do the same thing. Take away the electronics and let her figure out fun.

Dance is a very good option; it's good exercise, fun, and improves grace in a growing body. She can take classes at the Y or the local equivalent, or go to a non-competing non-profit studio (there are a lot of non-profit studios that do not compete in the big commercially-run dance competition circuits; which I'd suggest steering clear of.)

I
Just looking for ideas of things I can get my 12 year old daughter interested in that do not involve being online!!! She is on a travel softball team but seems to be losing interest and wants to quit after this coming season. She has some issues with self esteem and anxiety and says playing in the games stresses her out 🤷‍♀️. She doesn’t want to do anything arts or crafts related or take any music lessons.
I am hoping she has a good ball season and changes her mind about that, but still looking for other options. Maybe something out of the box that I haven’t thought of?
I second (third, whatever we're on) horseback riding if it's available in your area! I also think volunteering is a great way to get them off screens and build their self-esteem. Maybe an animal shelter, food pantry, tutoring little kids...?

When I was 12, I didn't have a smart phone or a computer. I had to figure out fun on my own. Maybe she needs to do the same thing. Take away the electronics and let her figure out fun.
Taking away the electronics from a teen may seriously limit communication among peers. "Well, *I* didn't have a cell phone growing up!", yea, but neither did anyone else. So you used the landline. Many homes don't have those any more. And if friend A can talk/chat to B, C, D, E using one device, but F you need to do something else, how long do you think F is going to remain part of that group?

The thread is seven months old, so I'm hoping the OP's DD is enjoying her softball season. If they're still looking for activities, I'd also suggest theater. There's plenty of backstage roles if she doesn't want to perform in front of others.

My daughter is 12 and loves sketching, repurposing and fixing things, plays guitar and takes riding lessons. Take your daughter to Michael’s and let her wander around to see what strikes her fancy. If she is into science, there are some really good subscription boxes that might interest her.

Take your daughter to Michael’s and let her wander around to see what strikes her fancy.

Michael's Arts & Crafts has weekly 20%-40% off coupons. Once in a blue moon there is a 50% off coupon. Discount is good for one item not currently on sale.

Michael's also takes competitors coupons with the same 40%-50% off discounts: AC Moore, JoAnn's Fabrics and Ben Franklin.

You can print out or show the coupons on your phone to the cashier.
https://www.michaels.com/coupons

I was also thinking volunteering, PollyannaMom and others who may have suggested this. What about volunteering at a church day camp? Some churches do offer a range of summer camp options. Pre pandemic, I worked at some of my own church's camps including photography and cooking. I can tell you a good volunteer of any age, but especially a teen since they are closer in age to the kids, is always most welcome!

My daughter is a hula dancer. She does compete, but it's certainly not a requirement. It's good exercise and she is learning about Hawaiian culture and also the Hawaiian language. She has her hula sisters that she has danced with for many years and they have a wonderful bond. It's fun and different from the usual "dance classes". Most halau (hula schools) also teach Tahitian dance and/or tahitian drumming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter