Hmmmm..

If he is happy there I would let him sleep in it. My Mom slept in a recliner quite a bit after she was diagnaosed with cancer. Said it was easier to breathe and get out.

I'm glad he is doing better hope you are too.

More Prayers and hugs C.Ann

Let him stay...he must be so happy to just be in his chair and feeling comfy and at home...all my prayers to you both. :)

C. Ann, I am glad that he is feeling better!! A hospital bed will prove to be more beneficial down the line as he may need help in positioning, transfering etc. I understand that he feels comfortable in his big ol' chair. It probably makes it easier for him to breathe. I also understand his unwillingness to turn the family room into his "sick room"... I hated it when I had to use the family room for such an event.. for about 4 months.. big difference being I KNEW I would eventually recover. So state of mind is a big consideration.....
Did they start home care/hospice services yet for him? The OT should at least come out to install the shower things and eval to see if there is anything else he needs to make life a little easier and keep him as Independent as possible.
Best wishes..
Joan

It's great to hear about his progress....:D

I wouldn't rule out the bed in the future. It might be better for his back.

I guess we just have to take it one day at a time
Such wise words!

I'm glad that things are looking up for both of you. I'm hoping that everything just gets better and better from here on out.

I say let him call the shots as long as he can. If he's comfortable in the recliner....so be it!!
My husband prefers to sleep in our recliner sooo many nights and there's nothing wrong with him! He just likes it!
Always thinking of you both......:D

C. Ann, you are a sweetie pie, thanks! Could you tell my kids I am good for something...;)??
I am soooo darn glad the VA is sending out the Respiratory Therapist. Ask her what she thinks about the bed vs the chair. She will know best if dh will tolerate the hospital bed positioning etc. Also ask what his PO2 is and should the PT ever get out to the house they may want to monitor it during exercise.
Get to bet dearie,,, tomorrow is another busy day!:D
Joan

I'd be tempted to go ahead and get the bed. You may need it later and it takes so long to get things.

But, I would let him sleep in the recliner for now. If nothing else, you could sleep in the hospital bed if you needed to be near him. ;)

I would stick with the recliner too. When my mother was terminal with cancer and had in home hospice care, she got a hospital bed, but I don't think she ever spent a night in it. She ended up sleeping in the recliner instead.

I'd also let him use the chair. If it gets to the point where you have to help him get up, it will be easier in the bed, but he should be comfortable.

So glad to hear he is doing so wonderful! Let him sleep where he wants -- as long as he is comfortable.
;)

Like Merry, I'd leave him in his chair, but have the bed for back up, if possible.

I don't have a clue how that works. Is it possible that they can send the bed, but not put it up? Do you have to pay for the bed?

Oh, I forgot, sometimes in my paper I see hospital beds for sale. If you have to rent one, or buy one, that may be an option.

C.Ann, if he's comfortable in the recliner, I'd say let him stay there. Just a word of caution, though, make sure he changes his position and gets out of the recliner every now and again and sits on a different chair. If he stays in the recliner all day in pretty much the same position, he'll end up with pressure sores(bedsores) on the areas of his body that are always in contact with the recliner. That's one reason why a hospital bed is good, because he can turn from side to side in it, which he probably can't really do in a recliner.Just something to keep in mind.With all else you guys are dealing with, you certainly don't need a big old bedsore to worry about!

It will be interesting to hear what his docs have to say with regard to his diagnosis, but keep in mind that congestive heart failure and COPD may actually be his working diagnoses. They do get to what is called "end stage", which may be what he has. I would also get his MD's opinion about the need for hospice at this point. Keep in mind, hospice at home does not provide 24 hour care...you get a max of 4 hours 7 days/week, and that's usually not what you start out with. It's only during the last fews days of life that there is a possibilty of 24 hour care, if you can determine what the last few days of life are.Sometimes you can, and sometimes you can't. When we had home hospice for my DMIL, they gave us 2 hours of a home health aide in the morning to get her washed up etc, and in the late afternoon to get her ready for bed. And we had to fight for that. She was completely bedridden!If it's a good hospice program though, they will have a lot of support services to offer, which will be halpful to oyu and DH and the whole family, if they choose to participate. My DSIL's didn't want a social worker to come for grief counsellign etc, so we didn't partake of all that was offered. If you need it and they offer it, though, use it. It can only help.

Good to hear your DH is feeling better. I would also echo the others' comments about letting him stay in the recliner. Sounds comfy enough. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter