Hiring disabled people to get to front of lines? WHAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most lines at WDW are mainstreamed, and the only people who get go to the front of the line are Make-a-Wish kids (and even then, not always).

Sometimes the existing provisions for disabilities result in a shorter wait, and sometimes they don't. It completely depends on the conditions on the ground at the time when you happen to visit a particular attraction.

buying black market Make a Wish buttons in the past to use for their healthy child.

This is the first time I've heard this one and I'm sickened.

The fact that another human even thought up such a scam is frightening. People caught doing this, or even selling these, should be prosecuted for fraud. Their parenting should also be called under question and investigated.

I was pretty sure the terms and conditions of our annual pass include not using them to "run a business in the parks".

A good point.

I find all these inquiries about whether or not it is against Disney policy to do this a bit unsettling.

I agree. And the fact that some people are dwelling on it makes me wonder if they are trying to get the go ahead to pursue such services.

I'm beginning to think this article is a gross exaggeration if not a downright fabrication based on a conversation a "reporter" with some "entitled mom" who thought she was getting a great deal or using her money to buck the system. 2 1/2 hours for IASW??? Really???

I think the same thing. I've never seen that kind of wait at IASW. And the wording of the article is clearly inflammatory.

First I want to say that this is brilliant...

We have a person who is disabled finding a job she most likely loves and she is able to use her disability to her advantage. Well Done. If she does the tours for 8-10 hours a day 3 times a week...that some damn good money to go to Disney.

We have a group of people who are willing to pay a premium to have this tour guide so they can "skip lines"...they drop 1300 for 10 hours...good for them. They are not doing anything against Disney Rules, they are not hurting anyone (its not like they are pool hopping, or god forbid, parking at a resort they are not staying at). Who cares if they are taking advantage of the system, or have the money to do so....it doesn't effect you or I....let the wealthy have their fun.

In the end, why does it matter?

I'm beginning to think this article is a gross exaggeration if not a downright fabrication based on a conversation a "reporter" with some "entitled mom" who thought she was getting a great deal or using her money to buck the system. 2 1/2 hours for IASW??? Really???

It did appear in the New York Post. I think the phrases "gross exaggeration" and "downright fabrication" are part of their mission statement.

Sometimes the existing provisions for disabilities result in a shorter wait, and sometimes they don't. It completely depends on the conditions on the ground at the time when you happen to visit a particular attraction.

THIS is what I think most people don't understand. I didn't read most of this thread because I have a feeling I'd be pretty offended by most of it, but wait times are NOT always shorter. The one that comes to mind most readily is POTC. Almost every time, we wait just as long as the regular line, it's just off to the side where there are benches to sit on so we don't have to physically stand in the line. For guests waiting in the regular line and who don't know anything about how GAC works, it LOOKS like we're being brought straight to the front of the line. This is not the case.

Exactly!!!

You can't always "cut" to the front of the line if you are handicapped. And sometimes you even have to wait longer. So I don't know how true this story is. There were only a couple of times where my handicap access was actually a "perk". Of course, there were some ride I couldn't go on because of the handicap, but often we waited longer for the convenience of not walking far to get on the ride. I call BS on this story. Just my two cents from a handicap perspective.

I have to agree with many of the PPs. When first reading the OP I was a little taken aback. But after thinking about it I realized that the tour guide(s) really are doing nothing wrong, so long as they were entitled to the GAC in the first place. And I doubt that there are enough of them at any one time to impact the wait times of other guests, given the supposed degree of GAC abuse already rampant.

As for the 1%ers who are availing themselves of this service- if they are SO lazy or self-entitled that they can't be bothered to make up a touring plan and get their own fastpasses, then let them waste their money. It's theirs to waste.

There, I said it. :drinking1 (somebody had to go first). Kungaloosh.

As for the 1%ers who are availing themselves of this service- if they are SO lazy or self-entitled that they can't be bothered to make up a touring plan and get their own fastpasses, then let them waste their money. It's theirs to waste.

HA! I think I'm ENTITLED to another drink! :drinking1 :drinking1 (it's after noon somewhere...)

I have to agree with many of the PPs. When first reading the OP I was a little taken aback. But after thinking about it I realized that the tour guide(s) really are doing nothing wrong, so long as they were entitled to the GAC in the first place. And I doubt that there are enough of them at any one time to impact the wait times of other guests, given the supposed degree of GAC abuse already rampant.

I completely agree. If we assume that any part of that article is true, I just don't care about the issue.

Someone is getting paid to go to WDW. No rules are being broken. I can't find anything here to bother getting upset about.

are you really saying that you don't think a physically challenged person can't be a tour guide?

Of course she can. The problem is, a GAC is not a license to be a tour guide. A legitimate tour guide would not have a "disability pass," she would have a tour guide pass/badge/ID or whatever they use. It would have nothing what so ever to do with her disability.

Dream Tours posted on their FB page, in response to someone asking about the article:

Don't believe everything you read. Take a look at our website before making judgement calls based on articles that are going to be in trouble by the ADA. This article has no validity and is based on discrimination. We do many wonderful things for the special needs community.

Well, that certainly sounds like a bunch of double talk. They are not really denying it, more like justifying it and daring anyone to call them on it because of discrimination laws.

It did appear in the New York Post. I think the phrases "gross exaggeration" and "downright fabrication" are part of their mission statement.

Lets be honest here. In the bi-partisan site Truth in media, the NY post ranks higher than the NYTimes in factual content. Now both were low on the list but the NY Times is near the bottom in truthfulness. We have a middle class woman claiming to be a 1%, yet it turns out she's a middle classer, no where near a 1%. we have a disabled person scamming her for 130 dollars an hour to get her to the front of the line. Problem? I think not, the disabled person is happy taking wanta be 1% money and the middle class woman can go to the front of line so she can pretend she's a 1%. Class envy .:)

Lets be honest here. In the bi-partisan site Truth in media, the NY post ranks higher than the NYTimes in factual content. Now both were low on the list but the NY Times is near the bottom in truthfulness. We have a middle class woman claiming to be a 1%, yet it turns out she's a middle classer, no where near a 1%. we have a disabled person scamming her for 130 dollars an hour to get her to the front of the line. Problem? I think not, the disabled person is happy taking wanta be 1% money and the middle class woman can go to the front of line so she can pretend she's a 1%. Class envy .:)

ROTFL.

Welcome, troll.

Is this against any of Disney policies?

What would they do, ask to see a "contract" that states the disabled person is not part of their family and they hired him/her just to get them in the disabled lines? If they say "this is our friend Frank, he's traveling with us" there's nothing that can be done. The party has a disabled person with them, they're going to get to use the disabled entrances. What I don't get, is that you don't save a whole lot of time in most lines because the lines are "mainstreamed" and disabled persons wait in line with everyone else.

It seems like more trouble than it's worth to haul along an extra person just to get a guest assistance card, when if you want one that badly you can get one. If you've got that kind of money just buy a VIP tour for your family.

I completely agree. If we assume that any part of that article is true, I just don't care about the issue.

Someone is getting paid to go to WDW. No rules are being broken. I can't find anything here to bother getting upset about.

::yes::

From what I am reading Dream Tours caters to families with special needs adults or children. The fact that a tour guide may have been in a scooter has nothing to do with special access to attractions at Disney. In fact they most likely waited longer at places because of the scooter.

What I am questioning is why the family from NY even qualified as Special Needs so that this touring company would help them?

And who puts a Handicapped sign on their scooter? :confused3:rotfl:

Dream Tours states on their web site that they help you avoid lines and by that they really mean the Stand by lines. This is true as the tour companies use some kind of for lack of terms a corporate or business FastPass. With that their paid customers do avoid the STAND BY lines just like any one else who uses a FP does.

Plus their is no mention of a GAC and someone in a scooter does not normally get a GAC. GACs are for invisible disabilities. In other words when someone looks at a person using a GAC the first response would be they look normal why do they get wait in a different area?

The whole article is full of bunk! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter