Hiring disabled people to get to front of lines? WHAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with it.

I assume the company primarily does what it says and tries to help people with disabilities tour Disney, it makes sense as apparently the owner's girlfriend is disabled.

I assume there are a lot of self entitled people who think people with disabilities get special treatment (even though the accommodations may or may not translate to a benefit as pp's have discussed).

If rich non-disabled family wants to hire disability touring co, who will in effect make their touring plan and help them efficiently use the parks without needing to spend their own time learning how to do it, I'm fine with that. I am sure that to the completely uninitiated it will seem like special treatment.

If disabled touring co., wants to market to the self entitled people and those tours help support their overall goal of helping people with disabilities (including employment of disabled tour guides), I'm fine with that too.

No one appears to be pretending to be disabled or otherwise deceitful or amoral.

Putting any discussion about the morals of this practice aside for a moment, here is what I see.

You have these 1% families who have the money to pay high dollar amounts to get what they feel is unattainable for the common folk. They would not consider for a minute doing research into WDW to find effcient touring plans, or how FP's work. They pay others for everything. So the fact that they can use this service and in their view get on rides faster then they will pay and use it.

Now those more knowledgable like the vast majority of folks on this board have the ability to dispute every facet of the article and know that other than Christmas day you will never see a 2 1/2 wait for IASW will call BS to that claim/

So I see it more as a rich, self described priviledged family paying way to much money to go to WDW. Want to bet they stayed concierge floor at the Grand Floridian? Want to bet all dinner reservations were made by a travel agent?

On the other side of the coin is the tour guide. A girl with a real disability is able to make money while doing something she probably loves, going to WDW.

So who is losing in this situation? A rich person spends to much money for a service she could get much cheaper and would probably get her on rides faster? Who cares. A girl with a disability makes a living doing something she loves, good for her! The average parkgoer? This is not slowing my plans down at all. And if they do prevent this type of thing from happening then the rich person spends more money to get the VIP service. Either the guide or the VIP service is something I will never use (unless I win the lottery I might try the VIP tour) and do not feel that it inhibits my current touring plans in any way.

So in the end it seems to be much ado about nothing.

Finally bringing back the moral aspect even if you object on that basis then are you really saying that you don't think a physically challenged person can't be a tour guide?

I think the newspaper was just looking for another story to help the common man dislike the rich.
Not in any way saying that. BUT, I do question if said disabled person is using said disability to get perks for people in an unethical way. Such as, saying that people who paid her are her family so they can get in with her GAC card. Sure, some realize you can ride faster without a GAC card but there are times it is a shorter way on, even faster than FP in some cases since you can only have so many FP at a time but GAC is unlimited. So yeah, in my opinion if a disabled tour guide is using their disability to get people access I think it's wrong. If a disabled tour guide is doing the same things an able bodied tour guide does then there is nothing wrong.

Hmmm. That is interesting. Seems the article may not be as exaggerated as others are claiming.

Depends - nowhere do I see a definition of "skip the lines".

Actually, I'm thinking retiring to Florida, buying myself an annual pass, and hiring myself out as a VIP tour guide might be a sweet gig. I know how to skip lines, too! :lmao:

Of course she can. The problem is, a GAC is not a license to be a tour guide. A legitimate tour guide would not have a "disability pass," she would have a tour guide pass/badge/ID or whatever they use. It would have nothing what so ever to do with her disability.

But if a tour guide can spin it as an advantage to her clients, they're less likely to give her a hard time for being disabled.

Well, that certainly sounds like a bunch of double talk. They are not really denying it, more like justifying it and daring anyone to call them on it because of discrimination laws.

I dunno... it sounded fine to me.

Don't believe everything you read. Fair enough.

Check us out before jumping to conclusions. We do good things! Okay.

They're not "daring anyone to call them on it", they're saying the author of the article is likely to be in trouble with the ADA, presumably due to the implication that disabled tour guides are only there to cheat the system and not because they might happen to enjoy the job.

Do tour guides normally ride all rides with their customers??

I would have no problem having a tour guide that was disabled but I would have a problem using their disabllity to "benefit" my family. I agree that honestly isn't huring the ones paying for the service or the other families in the SB line. But I do believe the families with a disabled person in their party are being hurt by this family taking up a spot their family could use on a ride making them have to wait for the next one when those spots are limited.

I dont know what is worse, this or the massive # of people in scooters and wheelchairs who are just too lazy to walk and their 10 or 12 hangers on.

the article seems to indicate that the guide actually has a disability. if thats the case, I see no problem. They just found a way to use their disability as an advantage. If providing a touring service helps pay medical bills and they are not doing anything illegal or against disney policy, good for them.

the reason this seems so bad is because a snobby rich lady is bragging about using the disabled. people always find a way to hate on people with money, mostly due to jealousy and this lady just gives them more reasons. and just because you can afford disneys $300+ tour doesn't mean you can't bargain shop. People aren't rich because they spend a lot of money.

Not in any way saying that. BUT, I do question if said disabled person is using said disability to get perks for people in an unethical way. Such as, saying that people who paid her are her family so they can get in with her GAC card. Sure, some realize you can ride faster without a GAC card but there are times it is a shorter way on, even faster than FP in some cases since you can only have so many FP at a time but GAC is unlimited. So yeah, in my opinion if a disabled tour guide is using their disability to get people access I think it's wrong. If a disabled tour guide is doing the same things an able bodied tour guide does then there is nothing wrong.

But the whole point is that she's mobility impaired. She CAN'T do the same things an able bodied tour guide does, when it comes to accessing certain rides. What is she supposed to do? Point the people toward the ride line, and sit outside waiting for them? Go through a separate exit and try to find them at the loading dock? There's a reason Disney allows mobility impaired people to bring up to six people with them. It's so groups aren't split up.

No one has to "say the people with them are family" to use a GAC card or alternate entrance for mobility impaired people. Disney NEVER asks if the people with you are your "family". Disney simply asks if you're all in one "party".

My best friend has a hidden disability that would require the use of a GAC card, if she ever visited Disney. We would be travelling together. Disney would never expect us to split up, just because I'm not blood related to her!

While I do not disbelieve there are people who would do this, based on the information I've seen I'm inclined to believe this story is a fabrication. Who would spend $130/hour when they can rent a wheelchair for $10/day? What kind of parallel universe were the people quoted as to using this service in where they found 2.5 hour waits at IaSW? Too many logical fallacies to make me a believer.

I've never been asked what my "relation" to the people I'm with is.

That would be a bit surprising and maybe through me off even though I've never entered a line (with GAC or without) with people I don't know.

But the whole point is that she's mobility impaired. She CAN'T do the same things an able bodied tour guide does, when it comes to accessing certain rides. What is she supposed to do? Point the people toward the ride line, and sit outside waiting for them? Go through a separate exit and try to find them at the loading dock? There's a reason Disney allows mobility impaired people to bring up to six people with them. It's so groups aren't split up.

No one has to "say the people with them are family" to use a GAC card or alternate entrance for mobility impaired people. Disney NEVER asks if the people with you are your "family". Disney simply asks if you're all in one "party".

My best friend has a hidden disability that would require the use of a GAC card, if she ever visited Disney. We would be travelling together. Disney would never expect us to split up, just because I'm not blood related to her!
My choice to say family was wrong. Of course those in a group should stay together. I should have said friends/family. I still say that paying someone to be a member of their group so you can use their GAC is a grey area.

My choice to say family was wrong. Of course those in a group should stay together. I should have said friends/family. I still say that paying someone to be a member of their group is a grey area.

They're not paying her for her disability, as it's been clearly established in this thread that being mobility impaired isn't a huge advantage in the parks. They're paying her for her time and expertise.

I know how to tour the parks efficiently. I know which rides need to be hit early, or fastpassed. I know where to find everything. If I lived in Florida, I'd be happy to have someone pay me an hourly wage to lead them through the parks. And I'd be happy to make them feel like VIPs. Heck, if I did it often enough, I'd get friendly with the CMs and there'd be lots of waving and smiling as we went by, further enhancing the VIP illusion.

Why not just lie and get your own GAC? Who would be dumb enough to pay for something you can so easily get for free? Am I missing something?
Of course I see nothing morally wrong with either way. But then again I don't think any disability entitles anyone to cut in line. We all pay the same ridiculous price and should all wait the same. A GAC should be used to get a limited amount of future return times with no wait and not be an unlimited fastpass. And yes, get the alternate entrance stamp and that is exactly what it is.

A person that wants to feel superior to other park-goers and somehow believe they are getting something special.

It is all about entitlement.

Or maybe $130 an hour to them is like $10 a day to others. :confused3 Not everyone that spends more money than you does it because they want to feel superior to others. Maybe they do believe they are getting something special, and if they can afford it, so what. Why the hate?

I agree with the pp's this article is nothing more than another lets hate the rich story.

I agree that there are soulless people out there but I am not sure I agree with the outrage on this. Surely the woman from the article is someone of high means but low class. She is the type of person that thinks they are owed an entitlement and clearly lacks character.

But as the PP said - look at it from a different light. It doesn't mean the entire practice is bad. A person with a disability is making good use of a challenging situation. They have a competitive advantage and are using it (putting aside the argument on just how much better a GAC is over proper planning and fast passes).

If you hired a tour guide, showed up that day and it was someone in a EVC would you decline their services? If you had an excellent time with them and a great day, would you rehire them next time or would you pass because of the GAC? If you say pass, that's getting into a discrimination grey area.

Someone is offering you a cheaper rate and potentially faster lines,why wouldn't you hire them? Should someone with a disABILITY not be allowed to be a tour guide?

The jerks from the article are not placing an ad on Craigslist looking for a disabled person to exploit. They are hiring a professional that has held themselves out for hire.

I think the real issue here should be the sense of entitlement exhibited by some, not that handicapped people are being given jobs.

Perhaps they ask for references not because they're shady, but they are tired of negative reactions to of people who cannot separate a legitimate business that does not go against any policy from some of the people that hire them and then brag to the Post that they exploited someone.

:thumbsup2 THIS! First of all, it's clear that the article itself is utter garbage proofed by its many inaccuracies. However, for argument sake....If one's word is proof enough for Disney on a disablility, why should we hold a different business to higher standards? I think what happened was someone searching saw "skip lines" and decided to go ahead with booking the company. Being a first-timer and being on the boards I know what a HUGE fear this is and would be a selling point for me. Then, the tour guide ended up being in a chair, therefore making their promises accurate, and the person(s) without disabilities passed on the word. "Use this company, the tour guide is in a chair and gets to skip the regular line and get into a 'special' one that's MUCH shorter."

I feel like the company is legit and uses their abilities in a fantastic way but are being exploited for that.

I completely agree. If we assume that any part of that article is true, I just don't care about the issue.

Someone is getting paid to go to WDW. No rules are being broken. I can't find anything here to bother getting upset about.

Although in the grand scheme of things I agree, there's something to be said for a person who exploits a loophole. Do I get upset? No. Someone, somewhere, is ALWAYS going to find a way, but I still shake my head at them.

I think they DO promote it, and I think it's a smart business tactic. A seasoned WDW goer is going to know it's a crock, but a seasoned WDW goer is also not going to hire a tourguide. They are, essentially, telling the truth. To someone who has never been it would, indeed, look like you are skipping a long line in order to get in a MUCH shorter one. It's clear they cater to other folks with disabilities and therefore all parties would either be in a chair, or get a GAC, right? They are delivering on their promises! It said nothing about getting on the ride faster than anyone else. It's a manipulation of the truth, sure, but not dishonest.

Why not just lie and get your own GAC? Who would be dumb enough to pay for something you can so easily get for free? Am I missing something?
Of course I see nothing morally wrong with either way. But then again I don't think any disability entitles anyone to cut in line. We all pay the same ridiculous price and should all wait the same. A GAC should be used to get a limited amount of future return times with no wait and not be an unlimited fastpass. And yes, get the alternate entrance stamp and that is exactly what it is.

Oh sure, stamps... you're a disabled person? It doesn't matter if the only way into the ride for you is through an alternate entrance. It doesn't matter if lines are non existent and the able bodied are riding multiple times. You get ONE ride. Period. Now take your disabled cheating self away and be deeply ashamed.

My 25 year old son is Autistic. I would do ANYTHING if he didn't need the GAC, but without it, Disney, which is his only passion in life, would be unattainable for him. I only pray that those who abuse this blessing don't ever have a real reason to discover what it was originally meant to do. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to share Disney with my son. I'd gladly trade a 3 hour wait in a line for his completeness. Sad commentary on who we as a people have become.

To be honest, I've never waited in line long so I don't get the point. Maybe I go at off times or plan my trip well enough.

That said, my father has had a lung transplant and is now back on oxygen. Before he went back on oxygen he was still "handicap" and so I tend not to judge people based on looks. Still, these people are gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter