• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HH trip report & some observations

dizneeluvr

Mystery Writer
We just got back from our trip to Hilton Head.

We arrived on Sunday, April 3rd and departed on Saturday, April 9th.

We checked in around 3:30 and only had to wait an hour til' our 1 bedroom was available (and that was just to get an outer building as we had requested). The room was in good shape and everything was working (until mid-week--details to follow).

We had spectacular weather on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday! Got lots of biking, swimming and beach time in. The rain moved in Thursday but not until we had a full morning of biking. And once it started raining (around 2) it only lasted about 5 or 6 hours.

We enjoyed three campfires, goofy bingo, several longview craft sessions, B'Lou's magic shows, and an unbirthday party. We also did a dolphin cruise with Scott (he was as good as he was three years ago).

A few observations...

Apparently they are changing the gate system into the resort and doing something with the locks from the beach to the beach house as both were wide open the entire time we were there. The gates to the resort were obviously new, but--for whatever reason--were not in use. The door to the beach from the beach house was propped open by a towel bin every day (hope they change that soon).

Several of the buildings were undergoing exterior work. They were pulling off sections of wood and removing what looked to be areas that were rotting (a norm in a climate like that I imagine). In fact, our building (30) was scheduled to have work done the day we left.

Now for the mid-week "breakage". Thursday night we were villa bound because of the rain so we rented a movie for the kids and had our eyes on watching Survivor. My husband went off to the mercantile to pick up milk. When he arrived back at the villa he could not get in! And I couldn't open the door from the inside either. It was completely jammed. Maintenance had to come. DH was finally able to get into the villa compliments of an empty studio next door and only missed about 15 minutes of Survivor. Whatever the door issue was took about an hour that night and about two hours the next day to be fixed. The guys who came were great, polite and hardworking! And thankfully, the studio next door remained empty--giving us an exit route until they finally got it fixed!

It was rather humorous (mostly cuz I was the one on the inside I imagine) ;)

Anyway, that's it for our report.

B'Loue Crabbe was GREAT as always. And CM Mike is GREAT too...very energetic and fun to watch at the campfire (although no one can touch Brian's cheeky cheeky freestyle from several years ago).

~Laura

Glad you had a good trip! Weird about your door - I never heard of that happening anywhere before!

We were there a week before you and they were installing the new gates at that time. I wonder how long it will take until they are working? Also, the gate at the beach house was also out of commission during our trip.

Sounds like a great trip! We've been home a little over a week now and I'm ready to go back!! :sunny:

Hi,

Glad you had a good trip!!!

Allison aka Ms. Sparrow

What were the temperatures during your stay? We have been once in August and are going back this August, but springtime sound lovely.

Glad you enjoyed HH-we always love it! Do you remember your room #, or at least the building #? We've always had a 1 BR in the main lodge, or #12, so I don't know about the other ones. How was Goofy Bingo? I really want to do that sometime, but I think DH's paying them (he's probably afraid I'd make him go, too) so it's never offered when we're there. Wow, swimming? How warm was it? We go in mid-March, and although it's nice biking weather, never warm enough to swim!
By the way, in case anyone else has noticed that gate (they were working on it when we were there, too), they're changing the computer/gate system so that somehow it ties into the entire WDW computer system, instead of just being a Hilton Head system. I'm not sure why they'd want to do that, but that's what CM Connie told me a few weeks ago.

Sounds like a great time. I can't wait. weather.com lists the surf temp as 67 right now. I hope it's warmer by late May! The kids love the surf. I just want it to be warm enough to get my legs in for a little fishing. :sunny:

It was low 80's during the first part of our week. Mid 70's after the front passed through, easily warm enough for swimming in the pool. I believe we were in 3012, it seemed like the other building that was being worked on was in the upper 20's, 28,29 or so.

We had an awesome time, and can't wait to go back!

Mike

We were there two weeks ago and saw them install the new gates at the main resort - interesting that after two weeks still not operational.

Beach house gate has been broken since last August. Then, and again over Easter, I don't really believe many non-guests actually used the beach house (wishful thinking maybe.)

What bugged us - security wise - was the menu for the Chinese restaurant that came sliding under the villa door one evening. I know a gate wouldn't stop that. Hopefully the restaurant was given a warning about this.

I am sure that there are so many things they are working on, but it would seem like the gate issue would be important. hmmm Hope its operational soon.

Glad you had a nice trip and that your door was fixed without too much of a hardship. I think those card readers just sometimes malfunction (there have been other reports of it happening at all the resorts), but sounds like they got to it and were able to keep you from being too put out.

Sounds like a great trip! Lots to do and enjoy.

We were in building 29 right next door to you on Wed-Saturday during your stay. We had a 2 bedroom villa. We had a wonderful time and would love to go back someday. We were on a cash stay with a $159/night rate ($175 with tax) we got through our Disney Visa.

My children went to the unbirthday party for the 3-6 year olds. Maybe our kids were at the same party!

They had some trouble with the heater on the sauna at the main resort but got that fixed on Thursday. The heater at the beach house pool was out on Thursday and it might have been fixed by late Friday but I'm not sure.

One person mentioned they received a restaurant menus at their room during their stay a few weeks back. We had a menu delivered to our door during our stay too. Since the gates were wide open it would be easy for anyone to gain access.

Ah here I was enjoying our beautiful weather here in Columbia last week....and you make me jealous by telling me how wonderful it was at HH! I'm glad you got a great weather week for your trip though....last week was just about the best weather we get here in SC! Not too hot, not too cold, blue skies and a slight breeze.

I'm only hoping we get such nice weather in November!

Thanks for the report!! We leave in the morning (Thursday) and I can't wait. I need to get away so bad and this will be our first trip to Hilton Head.

Weather looks a little iffy, but if it gets to the high 60's/low 70's, I'll be pleased. Hope that will be warm enough for the kids to get in the pool. It is heated, correct?

If it is heated, they won't have a problem seeing how they swam at the Animal Kingdom Lodge when it was in the 50's!

Thanks again for your report.

reesecup said:
Weather looks a little iffy, but if it gets to the high 60's/low 70's, I'll be pleased. Hope that will be warm enough for the kids to get in the pool. It is heated, correct?

The pool at both the main hotel and the beach house are heated. The heater at the beach house was out the day we were there (Thurs. 4/7) but it should be fixed by now. The pools are supposedly kept at 82 degrees if I recall correctly what the CM told me.

There is also a hot tub at the main hotel. The temp on the hot tub is 102. Some parents allowed their kids to get in completely. But I only let my girls sit on the steps and not submerge their whole bodies. Plus they were only allowed in it for about 5 minutes at a time. I didn't want them to get overheated. They advise adults to stay in for 15 minutes or less. The hot tub is good for taking off the chill after being in the main pool for a long time!

We're getting ready to leave TODAY!!!
I called about the Dolphin tour and they said they were wide open for Friday and Sat., so we are going to book that when we get there. The guy on the phone was super nice.
Do you guys think it will be nice enough that we will get to see plenty of dolphins? I know there is no guarantee we will get to see them
Weather looks pretty good-- high 60's sunny tommorow and low 70's sat. Yipeee!!!
I'll tell you guys all about it when we get back!

Thanks for all the HH posts. I can't wait. The door thing is scary to me. Our youngest has seizures -- several a day. It could be a disaster if she were locked in the room by herself. Do the 2BR condos have 2 access doors even if they are "dedicated?"

OneMoreTry said:
The door thing is scary to me. Our youngest has seizures -- several a day. It could be a disaster if she were locked in the room by herself. Do the 2BR condos have 2 access doors even if they are "dedicated?"

No, they do not. There is only the one main entrance, plus the doors that go out to the porch. Someone would probably have to climb up over the porch and break in through that door.

I am quite sure that the door problem was with the computer and is not something specific to the HH resort. It could happen anywhere. I know that won't stop you from worrying about your daughter, but I really don't think it's a common occurence anywhere...

Please don't worry about the door. It was a total and complete fluke. It was simply jammed or something. And they replaced the entire mechanism. Just a fluke thing that could happen in ANY of our homes I imagine. I only brought it up because--in my case--it was rather funny looking at my dh through the peephole and giving him Survivor updates.

It is a wonderful resort and you will love it.

As for Reececup, We saw LOTS of dolphins. In fact we saw as many as 12 fins very close to the shoreline by the beach house swimming north one day around 11:30 a.m. and then a ton swimming back south the next day around the same time. Thought they were shark fins at first until we saw SO many, and could see some of them rise up a little. It was very cool! This is a great time of year to see them as it is their "courting" season.

Enjoy!

Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter