Here now. Need to say a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about having a harder time with the magic. We have been 3 times in the past 7 years and just returned from a Dec 6-14th trip. The CMs who were the kindest and friendliest were those that were cleaning up the parks and housekeepinmidg. We stayed at CBR, and although we had a car, we did use the buses on occasion. My parents waited 50 minutes one morning for a bus to Epcot and one afternoon it took us 45 minutes to get a bus back from MK. The new pool at CBR was nice, but the rooms had a decidedly mildewy odor that smelled a bit better after room deodorizer, but the smell came back.

We are done with the dining plan. The tips wrecked it for us. Some servers assumed we wanted the tip on the room charge without asking. We were a party of 6 so the tip was guaranteed and service often felt rushed. We literally had dessert menus tossed on the table at Coral Reef after we had waited 50 minutes after our ADR to be seated.

DS smelled like garbage after Fantasmic last week. I don't know if they emptied the dumpsters early or what happened. Disappointed that fast passes were gone by 1pm for the new Toy Story Ride and it seemed like many of the attractions were packing it up by 5pm. That is no manpower for the Honey I shrunk the kids playground, but the beer vendors were out for Osborne lights.

I know I will get flamed, because people will say I should have researched more, I have, or I didn't have enough Pixie dust, but I think that the overall service is slipping. I will return, but still feeling a bit disappointed.

Ummm, why so many wheelchairs and scooters????????:crowded:

Because WDW is one of the few truly accessible vacation destinations for those of us who happen to need an ECV or wheelchair due to mobility disabilities. It is wonderful to actually be able to vacation together as a family in a place that provides appropriate HA accomidations, and where the family member in a wheelchair is able to share in the experience just like any other 'able bodied' person. WDW happens to be a wonderful, magical place in that respect. :hug:
i was gonna tell ya to duck, but sometimes ya just have to learn for yourself.

Really, magic is what you make of it. I have an analytical mind that's never really been able to suspend disbelief, so the whole fairy and princess part of the experience doesn't really register with me. On the other hand, as an engineer (sort of) by trade, the "magic" is in seeing all the cool stuff that the Imagineers have put together, and some of the tricks that they have done to make those things work. I could ride something like the Haunted Mansion all day trying to catch all the little details and the stuff they snuck in there. And even if it does all eventually boil down to gunpowder and chemicals, you still can't help but be impressed by a well-executed fireworks display.

It was the late Arthur C. Clarke who said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and sometimes the line between the two can be rather thin.

We just returned from our first holiday visit to WDW and thought it was lovely. We experienced many delightful CMs including several outstanding servers ( especially Linda at Coral Reef and Julie at Chefs de France!). We also enjoyed speaking with a number of friendly families from around the country. For us there was plenty of magic.
On the question of wheelchairs and scooters we have a very close family member who will be in a wheelchair for life so we're definitely advocates for handicapped accessibility. We did note, however, that there seemed to be a growing number of people in scooters. I'll withhold comment on that.

I was there 12/6 - 12/13 and the only thing that irritated me is that I saw so many men not get up on the bus to offer their seat to a woman or child.

Why would a woman need to sit down any more than a man? Being a woman who's perfectly capable of standing on a bus, I don't get that at all. Furthermore, if someone does need a seat, why does my DH have to give his away but I don't?

I hope you get some magic on your trip. Some visits are better than others...
Enjoy!

For the same reason there are so many able-bodied people walking around the parks: vacation and fun. It is something every human deserves, whether or not they have health problems.

The baby boom babies are getting older; there are going to be a lot more people who are in wheelchairs or scooters due to health problems or disabilities in the upcoming years. So, get used to seeing people who are happy to have great inventions that enable them to do the things you take for granted, like get out of the house, go shopping, eat, and go on vacation to Walt Disney World. :)

Just because somebody looks healthy or not disabled has nothing to do with whether they are or not. There are ppl in their twenties with MS (Multiple Sclerosis), teenagers with arthritis, people of all ages with cancer, and MANY more limiting or disabling conditions.

Okay, first things first, the crowds are here :guilty: but they are TOTALLY manageable.

The Christmas decorations are fewer, but still reaaaallly pretty.
The food seems way way expensive. :confused3 Seemed about the same price as last year. It's not cheap, but any theme park / stadium / concert / sporting event you go to has way overpriced food. You dont HAVE to eat there.
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is GREAT! I can't stress how cool and funny it was. Yep it's cheesy but fun
I had no idea the Haunted Mansion and POTC refurb was so awesome!!!!!!!:woohoo: was the 'dead men tell no tales' "mist screen" working now? It wasnt about a month ago when we rode it.
Contemporary online concierge (in-room computer) is also awesome!!!!!:yay: (I'm on it right now)
There seems to be a lot of kids that should be in school right now.:teacher:
Ummm, why so many wheelchairs and scooters????????:crowded: Because WDW is so handicapable accessable would be my guess.

Last thing.....anybody know where the magic went? Maybe I'm just being cynical. I'm having a blast, but something is missing. My honest opinion? The internet and sites like this. People read sooooo much before they go, they 'know' soooo much stuff. So they go in expecting and looking for things as opposed to being suprised because you had no idea of something. If you dont see / experience these 'suprises' then you are disappointed.

Sounds like you are still having a blast! Have fun

Why would a woman need to sit down any more than a man? Being a woman who's perfectly capable of standing on a bus, I don't get that at all. Furthermore, if someone does need a seat, why does my DH have to give his away but I don't?

Well said, I usually speak my mind on this topic and get told I'm what's wrong with america now, so I'll just agree with you :)

Really, magic is what you make of it. I have an analytical mind that's never really been able to suspend disbelief, so the whole fairy and princess part of the experience doesn't really register with me. On the other hand, as an engineer (sort of) by trade, the "magic" is in seeing all the cool stuff that the Imagineers have put together, and some of the tricks that they have done to make those things work. I could ride something like the Haunted Mansion all day trying to catch all the little details and the stuff they snuck in there. And even if it does all eventually boil down to gunpowder and chemicals, you still can't help but be impressed by a well-executed fireworks display.

It was the late Arthur C. Clarke who said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and sometimes the line between the two can be rather thin.

Wow, I think you summed up my feelings so much better than I ever could have. I've never been a "princess"-type girl, but I love the little things like the flickering lights in the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse at night, the smell inside Pirates, the way that the finale of Illuminations is so powerful I can feel the concussion against my legs, stuff like that. I admit to being a little disillusioned when I returned to WDW after a several-year hiatus and noticed that every ride now empties into a souvenir shop, but I've adjusted. I honestly don't think the magic will ever die, for me anyway. I just got back home on 12/07 and am going back on 01/08 for a quickie for the Half-Marathon and am giddy again just thinking about it. :goodvibes

Okay, first things first, the crowds are here :guilty: but they are TOTALLY manageable.

The Christmas decorations are fewer, but still reaaaallly pretty.
The food seems way way expensive. :confused3
Food has always been pretty expensive at the world.
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is GREAT! I can't stress how cool and funny it was.
I had no idea the Haunted Mansion and POTC refurb was so awesome!!!!!!!:woohoo:
Contemporary online concierge (in-room computer) is also awesome!!!!!:yay: (I'm on it right now)
There seems to be a lot of kids that should be in school right now.:teacher:
More folks are comfortable with taking kids out of school for vacation. Not so unusual anymore.
This is a good thing. WDW is simply becoming more accomadating for all guest.

Last thing.....anybody know where the magic went? Maybe I'm just being cynical. I'm having a blast, but something is missing.

I too am one of those "Magic is where ever you make it" type of people. If you (not personally) need some one singing 'Zippe-dee-do-dah" to you in order to have a good vacation, it may be time to try some thing else. I'm a cynical Native NY'er though, you're lucky if you get an acknowledgement here more less some cm being peppy all day.

Make your own magic. pixiedust:

I actually think the food prices are pretty reasonable here, although it is obvious that there is some degree of markup, it's not as much as I might have expected. If you want ridiculous food prices, you should come over here to the Hilton, where food prices (especially the room service) go beyond mere price gouging to the point of being ridiculous. Try $11 for a sandwich, plus 22% gratuity (5% of which is considered an "administration fee"), and $3 delivery charge on top of that, so that $11 sandwich turns into $15.

What does this mean? :confused3

I think she is saying that this is one of the things that she loves about Disney.

I understand that feeling during the Christmas Illuminations but I describe it as concussions so strong that it changes the rhythm of my heart beat! It is a wild feeling how ever you describe it!:goodvibes

We just returned from a week long family reunion of 17 family members. It went pretty good considering the variety of people we included and the crowds of people in the parks.

We had a few problems like the intense crowds at MVMCP on 12/9. Things were so packed that we cold not move from the show by the castle to the wheelchair area for the parade. It was just a sea of non moving people. DH had never done the party before and swears he will never try it again. I did it last year with my two elderly parents and it was delightful. That would not be my word for it this year! They just plain sold way too may tickets to this event to make it even half way enjoyable!

We were a bit disappointed with our choice of places to watch Illuminations. We did not realize it until right before it started but the speakers were not working on the bridge between France and England.
It took something away from the show to not hear the torches be blown out or to hear the narrator, the greeting from all the countries, or the incredible music. We have had more trouble over the years with this show. I think it is cursed for us or something! LOL!

We also had a problem with a last minute change/misinformation for the Fantasmic show one night. It really messed up our last two days there since dinner reservations and which park we visited were based on the Fantasmic/HS closing times. We lost a great dinner ADR at Spoodles and missed seeing Illuminations one night due to the mix up.

My last gripe was with the tipping on the Dining plan. Since we had so many families included in our group we had the automatic 18% tip added to everything including alcoholic beverages. Trying to split this up at the end of every meal was literally a nightmare for us. We wasted to much time trying to get my brother's families bills straightened out.
I had tried to figure out my families tips before we went and we prepaid that amount to one person and then the entire tip portion was put on one person's room key/credit card. That worked fairly well for 7 of us but the other ten ended up trying to figure it out each time and then pay cash tips!
I had not realized that certain things on the meal plan were also taxed. So I know I did not figure that portion of our bills correctly. I am still not sure what was taxed, maybe carbonated beverages?

Beyond those problems we had a great trip. The weather got a bit chilly a few times but we came prepared for that. We traveled with two wheelchairs although we only used one all the time and the both at night. The restaurants were great, servers fantastic although a bit slow at LeCellier; the CP was beautiful and awesome; the castle fireworks were better than I had seen them in a long time; the photo shoot at the GF was fun and we got some great shots of the family; the manager at Prime Time went out of his way to make sure my parents were greeted and treated nicely for their 69th wedding anniversary; the apartments at SSR were wonderful, roomy, and well maintained; and we found plenty of pixie dust and magic along most every path we took!:tinker:

My DW and I just returned from our annual pre-Christmas trip between December 12 and December 16. We stayed at Saratoga Springs.

We have been doing this trip for about 15 years now, and the first two weekends in December are historically pretty quiet with crowds very sparse. Not this year. Saratoga was packed, the resorts were more crowded and the theme parks and rides were much busier than in years past. On Monday, Soarin had a 70 minute standby wait all afternoon; M:S had 30 minute waits both experiences; Toy Story Mania had a 80-90 minute wait virtually all day; and the Osborne Lights crowds were huge. Much different than in year's past. Both DW and I commented, "Recession? What recession? There apparently is not one down at WDW this year."

As to decorations, I did not notice a measurable difference in the amount of decorations. Each resort was tastefully decorated, music filled the air, the resorts' chefs made their annual gingerbread houses, chocolate creations and other holiday-themed food-created displays. What was missing? Well, back in the early to mid-nineties, places like the Grand Floridian would have a themed CM outside roasting chestnuts for guests as they entered and exited. That hasn't happened for years. The GF and Contemporary used to have strolling carolers in the lobbies. Didn't see those this year (but also haven't seen them for years either).

The theme parks still had their seasonal and Christmas-related entertainment: the strolling pirates singing carols during MVMCP, all of the holiday storytellers at Epcot, Carlos on the Boardwalk and "actors" on the streets of DHS.

Overall, I would say that I was not underwhelmed by the themeing, decorations and general holiday spirit on this trip - it was still Disney being Disney and it compared favorably to past trips. I was overwhelmed by the crowds - many more than I thought. Downtown Disney was filled with shoppers Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Wall-to-wall.

It certainly put us in the spirit...

I think she is saying that this is one of the things that she loves about Disney.

I understand that feeling during the Christmas Illuminations but I describe it as concussions so strong that it changes the rhythm of my heart beat! It is a wild feeling how ever you describe it!:goodvibes

Yes, I know that she was saying she enjoyed IllumiNations but I don't know what it means to feel concussions in your legs? I just am not getting the phrase. I've felt percussion in my legs but concussions?

Why is it that when people make negative observations about their experiences, it is because they aren't bringing the magic? I can suspend reality, but still feel there were some subtle changes in my experiences leaving me a bit let down. Disney is a corporation selling a product and is run by suits and not tinkerbelle.

WHOOO HOOO I totally agree!!! As a woman who is totally capable of standing I stand up and cheer. If I feel that I can not stand the 15 minutes on the bus I wouldn't get on the full bus! I just let everyone who wants to stand pass me and wait for another bus. I would NEVER expect anyone to give me a seat EVER.

Yes, I know that she was saying she enjoyed IllumiNations but I don't know what it means to feel concussions in your legs? I just am not getting the phrase. I've felt percussion in my legs but concussions?

Concussion (singular) from the explosions. Obviously very different from percussion, but probably a similar effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter