Here now. Need to say a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but I think my original statement included children. I'm sorry though, I still think men should offer their seat to women. It may be because I was raised that way and I spoke with a few women at work to see what their thoughts were. After speaking with them, I stand by my belief that it is just common courtesy to offer your seat to women and children. Do you believe it is fine for the kids to stand as well? One woman here suggested it is the way young people are raised today to only think of themselves and not to concern themselves with other people's problems. Probably explains why on the boat one morning I was talking with a family with a person in a wheelchair and they didn't move to get off and I told them to go ahead and they said that they would rather wait because the other passengers would probably chastise them as others had done. I told them I would block the aisle for them while they disembarked but they declined. I guess I am old-fashioned and I can live with that but I think its a sad statement about the state of our country when people only think of themselves and look at the elderly and handicapped people as nuisances rather than seeing their civic responsibilities to help others. I realize you weren't there that day when the woman with 2 kids (appeared to be ages 7 and 10) had to stand with the 2 girls while a gentleman appearing to be in his late 20's sat and conversed with his girlfriend oblivious to the woman and her kids, so you may feel differently based on specific situations. Either way, I was raised that way and will continue to act in the manner I think is correct.
Bravo to you, I agree 100%. I was raised to be a "Gentleman" and my sons are raised the same way. It may not be a necessary thing to do, but it is the right thing to do.

And to the person who said that the GF hasn't given out the roasted chestnuts at the entrance of the resort for years, they have been doing it every year at least up until and including last year, because they were doing it then. Not sure about this year though.

Really? Outside? With a CM dressed in a period costume actually roasting the chestnuts over an open fire? Not only did that not happen this year this past weekend, but DW and I have not seen this happen for at least five years, and we have been at WDW at the GF either the first or second weekend of December each and every year. The CM was always set up next to the carriage across from the valet stand as you walked into the hotel through the ground (not monorail) entrance. Was s/he somewhere else?

Really? Outside? With a CM dressed in a period costume actually roasting the chestnuts over an open fire? Not only did that not happen this year this past weekend, but DW and I have not seen this happen for at least five years, and we have been at WDW at the GF either the first or second weekend of December each and every year. The CM was always set up next to the carriage across from the valet stand as you walked into the hotel through the ground (not monorail) entrance. Was s/he somewhere else?

Yes, we were there last year (December 15 - 20, 2007), and the guy was out front doing exactly that. Now we did not stay there this year, and when we visited the GF we didn't venture out to the valet area. And according to what you are saying, they weren't doing it. Maybe they are doing it later on in Decembers now? :confused3

Bravo to you, I agree 100%. I was raised to be a "Gentleman" and my sons are raised the same way. It may not be a necessary thing to do, but it is the right thing to do.

I also agree 100%. When using the Disney buses, I only sit when there are more than enough seats for EVERYONE, regardless of age or gender. I do this because I'm (relatively) young (does 39 still count as young?:confused3 ), am healthy and perfectly capable of standing. I feel better knowing that others have the opportunity to sit down and rest. I truly would not be ABLE to sit down if anyone else were standing, it just would bug me to the point I would have to stand up. That's why I don't even plan on sitting unless there are more than enough seats for everyone - again, regardless of age or gender.

Not bragging or horn-tooting about this, even though it sounds that way. This topic just touched a nerve with me and I needed to share my thoughts.

My mother is 75 years old and needs to sit on a bus due to some health issues. There have been times we waited for the next bus, but sometimes you cannot tell if there are any seats left when you board the bus. We stay at POFQ. There has never been a time when a man, woman, or teenager did not get up to give her their seat. This is because she is elderly, not any obvious medical condition. So I thank all of you who give others a seat. It is one of those things that makes Disney, well, Disney. I once heard a bus driver make this announcement--All seats are for the elderly and those holding a sleeping child. Makes sense to me!

Also, regarding the seat discussion. GET OVER IT. When guys offer their seats, it's not because we feel that anyone is weaker then us. It's a nice gesture. Which also means it is NOT required. If I don't want to give up my seat, I don't have to, and no one has the right to judge me.

I agree with you! It is a lovely gesture whenever anybody gets up to give someone else their seat. However, it shouldn't matter if the polite person is a man, woman or child. I don't think it's right of the PP to look at my DH and judge his as rude because he's sitting while I'm standing. Yes, judgement like that is sexist.

No flames, please...but I just have to chime in on this, because we experienced what seemed to be an UNUSUAL amount of scooters/wheelchairs.

While I won't comment on the validity of anyone's need for assistance, I do have to say every attraction (with motion) we rode on stopped during once, sometimes twice in the same ride, on this trip. When it happens once here and there, you get over it. But EVERY ride? I'm NOT kidding.. it happened on everything from Jungle Cruise (4 boats backed up), to Spaceship Earth when our audio stopped and skipped an entire section. It starts to really impact our experience. It is especially a problem when taking DD 5 on a ride like Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion for the 1st time and we get stuck in the dark. We also were "stuck" in the dark going up the last climb in Splash Mountain--another 1st time for DD, who immediately freaked and started crying.

Yes, I am extremely grateful that we are able to walk the world without issues. It just happened so much this trip, it was hard to overlook.

I'm not trying to offend anyone; just our own personal experience.

Ill add my two cents. Im sure the majority of people need wheelchairs and scooters but you also need to look at the fact that 60-70% of americans (not to mention UK) are OVERWEIGHT and the only way they can get around is by scooters. If people were healthier it wouldnt be as much of an issue.

Im torn on the standing on the bus thing also. Im 26 but I have 4 slipped discs and cant stand too long. Ill offer my seat to elderly men or women, a woman or man holding a child. I love how women EXPECT a seat to be given to them. They want to be equals in everything but wont stand like a man?

I have to put my 2 cents in on the bus issue. I would nudge my DH to give up his seat at times. However..on those buses you have to be at the right spot to be able to give up your seat. One time a woman got on with some young children. One of those kids was tired and no more than four. He was crying that he wanted his mom to hold him but she couldn't as she had the stroller too. I was aching to give her my seat but the bus was too crowded. She would never have been able to make her way to me. That happened more than once.

I think the standing Is a total discreation dicession,I do not hold It aganst anyone for sitting on a packed bus,for one I do not know them and I have no right to judege them.Do I think you should get up for the elderly, the Mom or dad with there hands full with a tired child absuletuly!. But I am not going to judge them or think negative about them,they just might have a health problem the prevents them,and yes even if they were at the park all day. As for the Dissable,we just have to be more understanding. I see way to many people start to get mad when they see a person In awheel chair get loaded frist along with there family. At the end of the day were all tired lets try to take one more deep breath and help out our fellow Disney goers:goodvibes

In your initial post you said women or children. I don't know if I would necessarily give up my seat for a child. I don't think that should be expected. For a mother trying to balance a sleeping child, perhaps,

perhaps for a mother balancing a sleeping child, wow so thoughtfull, what is the world coming to its all about me me me

I love how women EXPECT a seat to be given to them. They want to be equals in everything but wont stand like a man?

Well, if this thread is any indication, it seems that is the men expecting women to sit than women demanding it.

perhaps for a mother balancing a sleeping child, wow so thoughtfull, what is the world coming to its all about me me me

I said that I would give up my seat for a mother balancing a sleeping child! How is that all about me me me? I said that I can understand giving up a seat for that particular woman but not necessarily for every woman. Remember...I am, in fact, a woman. A pregnant woman at that. I hardly thinks it's selfish for me to keep my fat butt on the seat while another perfectly, able woman stands.

I said that I would give up my seat for a mother balancing a sleeping child! How is that all about me me me? I said that I can understand giving up a seat for that particular woman but not necessarily for every woman. Remember...I am, in fact, a woman. A pregnant woman at that. I hardly thinks it's selfish for me to keep my fat butt on the seat while another perfectly, able woman stands.

you need to read what you wrote, you said perhaps your choice of word not mine

you need to read what you wrote, you said perhaps your choice of word not mine

Oh, brother. :rolleyes: Read it in context. It was part of another sentence.
I did not say that I would never stand up and give my seat to a mother balancing a child. This has gone beyond nitpicking. I've already clarified what I meant.

Oh, brother. :rolleyes: Read it in context. It was part of another sentence.
I did not say that I would never stand up and give my seat to a mother balancing a child. This has gone beyond nitpicking. I've already clarified what I meant.

perhaps you dont know what the word perhaps means, if thats the case im sorry, its not nitpicking as you call it but stating the words you yourself wrote, :thumbsup2

"Originally Posted by bradisgoofy
Bravo to you, I agree 100%. I was raised to be a "Gentleman" and my sons are raised the same way. It may not be a necessary thing to do, but it is the right thing to do."

Sorry, I don't know how you do the quote thing. I just want to say that I am so proud of my husband for being a gentleman and I am raising my son to be the same way. Start tossing the stones, but unless my husband or son had a physical condition where it was more comfortable to sit, I would expect them to "offer" a child or a woman a seat.

What makes a woman different? I will tell you. My husband has watched me go through two horrible miscarriages and would never allow me to stand. You never know who could be expecting and like it or not that’s what makes woman “different.” It’s just a fact. Perhaps some or most woman at Disney World are not at risk of misarrange, but when you live in a large city and the only way to travel is by public transportation (New York) men give up seats ALL THE TIME to children and women. It's the polite thing to do.

If you think the woman looks too old to be pregnant, then she should have a seat as well. I know everyone deserves to be equals, but until men start experiencing childbirth (for real) we are EQUAL BUT DIFFERENT, it’s a fact, get over it and enjoy differences. It’s ok. Why do so many of you want to be “the same” (and I’m NOT taking about job opportunities, rights etc.), it makes no since to me?

Now… start flaming me, but let me tell you how grateful I have been, newly pregnant (no one could tell) and someone gave up their seat for me. I never think of myself as being the "lesser class" or whatever you called it by taking a seat a kind person has offered. I look at them, smile and tell them “thank you, you are so kind.” I know it makes others feel good to serve. Is it so wrong to let people offer kindness and service to others? I consider it a privilege, and enjoy others polite gestures when they are giving of themselves. It shows kindness that is so lacking in today’s world.

I always give up my seat to a young mother, someone who is obviously pregnant, an elderly person, or “any person” that looks like they need a seat. When not pregnant I am always the first person up. If a gentleman has been standing for a while, I ask him if he would like to take a break and sit for a while. It’s not rocket science, just good manners and common courtesy..

Before you think I am too “old fashioned,” I am 31, have two degrees and a successful career. Say what you want, I'm just telling you how I see things and that it’s ok for us to disagree. It does not make you right and me wrong. Start the flames. I’m burning up already.

I'll comment on the men giving up their seat issue. As a woman, I think it shows a true gentleman and I am so glad there are still men who do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter