Help with ?'s on cruising out of Miami Port for the first time....

ctc917

DIS Veteran
I realize that there are alot of threads out there on this subject but of all the threads I've read in the past few hours I haven't found the answers to a few questions that I was hoping to find so I'm hoping you guys who have cruised from Miami port could take a few minutes and help me.

First of all if I fly into Miami airport the day before and stay at a hotel that is near the airport with a free shuttle(is there a list of these hotels anywhere? any suggestions?) and I want to take transfers from the airport the next day can I do this? if so does it matter that I stayed at an hotel the night before and not just landed at the airport?
If I decided to fly into FLL do people suggest renting a car the morning of and if so where do you drop off rental cars at Miami port or is this a pain and since there are only 2 of us get some other transportation to the port and is this the best option does anyone know if there is a list of these vendors or would you suggest someone?
And out of the two above options which one do most people that cruise out of the Miami port find they liked the best and which one did they find cost them less, was less of a pain to navigate.
Any other suggestions of where to look for info or any ideas for a first timer cruising out of Miami Port?

Also if you don't get a rental car and do shuttles what did people do for food, is it possible to eat at the airport before you shuttle to the hotel? and if you go back to the airport the next day are there any places to get to at the airport to eat before heading to the port on DCL transfers?

thanks for your help

ctc917

Last edited:
In Miami, I don’t see the point of going back to the airport to catch the DCL shuttle. Just catch a Uber/Lyft/Cab from your hotel to the port. It will cost less and be much faster. It’s a 15 minutes ride.

My answer would be the same if flying in into FLL. It will be much less hassle than renting a one-way. The only reason to fly into FLL is if the flights from your home town are direct or cost less than those going to MIA. Last time we sailed out of Miami, we flew into FLL but left out of MIA because the flight times were better.

Heres the thing I have never taking an Uber in my life and wouldn't even know how to go about doing it or even how to find out if the cost would be cheaper then traveling back to MIA to pick up Disney Transfers, so any ideas on this? I also maybe traveling alone too, which to me adds more stress. Do any hotels have shuttles to the Miami port direct that any one knows of ? and how does one pick a PAT time when not knowing the timing of ordering an uber/taxi, what time did you pick if you traveled from a hotel to the port?

Heres the thing I have never taking an Uber in my life and wouldn't even know how to go about doing it or even how to find out if the cost would be cheaper then traveling back to MIA to pick up Disney Transfers, so any ideas on this? I also maybe traveling alone too, which to me adds more stress. Do any hotels have shuttles to the Miami port direct that any one knows of ? and how does one pick a PAT time when not knowing the timing of ordering an uber/taxi, what time did you pick if you traveled from a hotel to the port?
Disney has partner hotels in Miami and you can buy the port and airport transfers through them. You can also book the hotel through Disney. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/miami-florida/

We are booked on the first Dream cruise out of Miami. We are flying into FLL two days prior and staying at the Embassy Suites. I booked a shuttle to the hotel from the airport ($10 per person) and then from the hotel to the port ($25 per person) and then the entire process in reverse when we return. It was very easy to book and the person I spoke with was very knowledgeable about the entire process. It made me feel confident in our decision. We will see in a couple of weeks how it goes but it just made sense $$ wise to fly in and out of FLL.

Since November, I have flown into Miami and FLL for a cruise. Fort Lauderdale had more flight options and better prices.

Miami - landed at night, took hotel shuttle to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport South. The bus serves several Marriott company properties which are in the same gated compound. (The area did not feel unsafe).

The wait for the shuttle was in a well lit area of the parking deck, with pick-ups for lots of properties. The Marriott van was well marked.

The ride was probably about 10 minutes.

It is complimentary.

I used Lyft to get to the port. It was about $17.

I had a food voucher from my reservation; I don’t think Courtyard has free breakfast, but they should have one to purchase.

Flying onto FLL, I took a taxi to the Brightline train station and had a relaxing 30 minute ride on a clean, modern train to Miami Central Station. They offer a ride to anywhere within 5 miles with the more expensive ticket $27 v $17. We ended up in a Lyft to our hotel. Stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Miami - Brickell. They do offer free breakfast. I really liked this area and walked around the morning before the cruise. There’s a Publix, Dunkin’ and several restaurants nearby. It is an area that is being built up. Lots of dog walkers in the morning.

I did this travel with my sister. The first was done solo. I also feel confident in travel.

Using Lyft (or Uber) is fairly straight forward. It’s an app for your phone. I have only used it 3 times so far. If you are going to use it, upload it ahead of time to get your account set up and practice.

If flying home from Miami, taxis are $27 flat fee from the port. No extra charges for waiting in traffic. And no waiting for everyone to get in a shuttle or bus. They are waiting when you get off the ship.

Definitely consider your own travel skills when making your choice. What works for some isn’t always the best option for another.

As for shuttles from the airport, I check the hotel websites. Some have not resumed - but that is usually noted.

I usually pick Hilton or Marriott properties (usually their low to middle priced brands) and go through their website to find what’s available. (Because of loyalty programs and a fairly good idea of what to expect).

As far as PAT, pick what time you want to start your 1 hour or so check-in process. You can get a rough estimate if travel time to the port from hotel from Google maps (whichever maps app is on your phone / pad / computer).

I order my Lyft / Uber after I am downstairs and checked out. They have arrived in < 10 minutes so far - sometimes 3 minutes. They will tell you how far away your car choices are. Once you pick one, they will let you know make and model, license plate and driver.

If you want more info, we can help.

You will need a phone with data for this. You also need a phone for the cruise if at all possible. (I say this, as I prefer to use an iPad for Disboards.)

Since November, I have flown into Miami and FLL for a cruise. Fort Lauderdale had more flight options and better prices.

Miami - landed at night, took hotel shuttle to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport South. The bus serves several Marriott company properties which are in the same gated compound. (The area did not feel unsafe).

The wait for the shuttle was in a well lit area of the parking deck, with pick-ups for lots of properties. The Marriott van was well marked.

The ride was probably about 10 minutes.

It is complimentary.

I used Lyft to get to the port. It was about $17.

I had a food voucher from my reservation; I don’t think Courtyard has free breakfast, but they should have one to purchase.

We stayed at this Courtyard Marriott in January and doing it again on July 3rd.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/miacs-courtyard-miami-airport/overview/?scid=45f93f1b-bd77-45c9-8dab-83b6a417f6fe&y_source=1_MjA5Mzk1OS00ODMtbG9jYXRpb24ud2Vic2l0ZQ==

The hotel has a free shuttle to its property from the airport. Breakfast is not free. It shares a pool and patio area with the Marriott Residence Inn (which includes breakfast).

We took an Uber to the port. 2 people cost $15.71 to the Miami cruise port.

But, this time we are traveling with a 14 month old and not bringing a car seat so will take the hotel shuttle from the airport the their hotel and then go back to the airport the next morning to meet the DCL transfer bus to the port. On the way home we will also take DCL transfers to the airport.

There is a hotel that has both transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. It is the Comfort Inn and Suites Miami Airport.

https://www.choicehotels.com/florid...p.ds&msclkid=8ef8775bddde17c81c4a15c3f80dc136

MJ

We were in Miami in January. Our hotel could arrange a shuttle to the port for $10/pp, but the first pick up time was at 11am. Our PAT was 10:45. We took an uber black for the 4 of us and it was $44 with tip. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon--it had a free shuttle to the hotel and was within walking distance to several restaurants, a Publix, a drugstore and a liquor store.

There will be signs at the airport for the hotel shuttle pick up, but once you cross the street you will see that the road forks. You should stand on the side closest to the parking lot. If you watch the route the hotel shuttles take you should figure out where you need to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter