Help Planning Itinerary

npyarbro

Earning My Ears
Hi guys. I am new to this board and need help planning my DLR days. We are arriving on Sunday, 10/29/23 at 4:00 PM from the Sequoia National Forest and leaving on Thursday 11/2/23 to do Universal and Warner Brothers for a couple of days. I bought 3-Day 1 Park tickets with Genie+. We also have Oogie Boogie tickets for 10/31/23. We live on the East Coast so we probably won't be returning soon so I won't to do as much as I can. Any advise on what days to do each park and the best plan to see as much as we can. We do not have any little ones on this trip. It is for my son's 21st birthday.

Hi guys. I am new to this board and need help planning my DLR days. We are arriving on Sunday, 10/29/23 at 4:00 PM from the Sequoia National Forest and leaving on Thursday 11/2/23 to do Universal and Warner Brothers for a couple of days. I bought 3-Day 1 Park tickets with Genie+. We also have Oogie Boogie tickets for 10/31/23. We live on the East Coast so we probably won't be returning soon so I won't to do as much as I can. Any advise on what days to do each park and the best plan to see as much as we can. We do not have any little ones on this trip. It is for my son's 21st birthday.
Welcome! Is this your first visit to Disneyland? If so, I'm in the camp that believes you should go to Walt's park first. However, you're getting access to DCA on the 31st with your OBB tickets, so you might want to use that day's one-park ticket at DL and do your first day (10/30) at DCA.

As I'm sure you know, Disneyland has many rides that are similar to ones at WDW, so those might take a lower priority if you've been to WDW before. (Although be sure to look for information on specific rides, because some are much better at DL and you may not want to miss those.) Do you have a sense yet of how much you want to do at DL and how much at DCA? That will help other people advise you on how to use your one-park-per-day tickets.

Where are you staying? That information will help people make suggestions for what to do your first evening, assuming that you don't want to use up one of your park tickets that night.

Are you early risers or prefer staying up late? Are you staying on-site and so would use early entry?

You can get a lot done by rope dropping up to about 10-11 am. Then it starts getting more crowded. We found this last weekend that ropedropping HM was the only way to see it without a considerable wait (on Friday, even the LL line wrapped around the front of the fence).

Two potential plans:

DL on arrival day 10/29 from 4 til you drop
DCA on Monday 10/30
DCA on Tuesday 10/31 pm for OBB
DL on Wednesday 11/1

Mondays are often very busy at DLR but you should be able to get quite a bit done on Sunday night if you’re up to hitting the parks after travel. This plan gives approximately equal time to DL and DCA and gives everyone a bit of downtime before OBB. But you give up a morning park start and have only 1 morning at DCA and 1 at DL.

DL on 10/30
DCA on 10/31 (day and OBB)
DL on 11/1

Having a whole day at DL on Wednesday would help offset the likely busier Monday (and you’ll have 2 park starts at DL, if you can get up after OBB). But you do give up a bit of time on your day ticket with DCA closing early.

:welcome:to the DIS. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice around here. As already menationed, have you even been before or have you been to WDW? That can help determine what are the "must-do" attractions and what might be lower priority. You've got Oogie Boogie on the 31st - that's gonna be awesome!

Welcome! Is this your first visit to Disneyland? If so, I'm in the camp that believes you should go to Walt's park first. However, you're getting access to DCA on the 31st with your OBB tickets, so you might want to use that day's one-park ticket at DL and do your first day (10/30) at DCA.

As I'm sure you know, Disneyland has many rides that are similar to ones at WDW, so those might take a lower priority if you've been to WDW before. (Although be sure to look for information on specific rides, because some are much better at DL and you may not want to miss those.) Do you have a sense yet of how much you want to do at DL and how much at DCA? That will help other people advise you on how to use your one-park-per-day tickets.

Where are you staying? That information will help people make suggestions for what to do your first evening, assuming that you don't want to use up one of your park tickets that night.
This is my first visit to Disneyland. I have been to WDW once in 2012. We are staying at Candy Cane Inn. I wasn't sure if I should use one of my tickets the day of OBB since we get access at 3:00 PM to DCA.

Are you early risers or prefer staying up late? Are you staying on-site and so would use early entry?

You can get a lot done by rope dropping up to about 10-11 am. Then it starts getting more crowded. We found this last weekend that ropedropping HM was the only way to see it without a considerable wait (on Friday, even the LL line wrapped around the front of the fence).

Two potential plans:

DL on arrival day 10/29 from 4 til you drop
DCA on Monday 10/30
DCA on Tuesday 10/31 pm for OBB
DL on Wednesday 11/1

Mondays are often very busy at DLR but you should be able to get quite a bit done on Sunday night if you’re up to hitting the parks after travel. This plan gives approximately equal time to DL and DCA and gives everyone a bit of downtime before OBB. But you give up a morning park start and have only 1 morning at DCA and 1 at DL.

DL on 10/30
DCA on 10/31 (day and OBB)
DL on 11/1

Having a whole day at DL on Wednesday would help offset the likely busier Monday (and you’ll have 2 park starts at DL, if you can get up after OBB). But you do give up a bit of time on your day ticket with DCA closing early.
We can be both. If it was left up to my husband we would open and close every day. I prefer a lazy morning or early night at least once. We can also use one day on 11/2. We do not have plans for that night since Universal seems to close early. We were just looking at dinner at City walk on the 2nd.

This is my first visit to Disneyland. I have been to WDW once in 2012. We are staying at Candy Cane Inn. I wasn't sure if I should use one of my tickets the day of OBB since we get access at 3:00 PM to DCA.

It can be best to not use a base ticket on a party day since you're basically paying twice.

If you have only been wo WDW once, the little differences aren't going to matter so much. Certian rides are very different than their counterparts, and some are very similar but not quite the same. One of the great things about Disneyland is all of the origianal 1950's rides that they still have in Fantasyland - make sure to check those out!

:welcome:to the DIS. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice around here. As already menationed, have you even been before or have you been to WDW? That can help determine what are the "must-do" attractions and what might be lower priority. You've got Oogie Boogie on the 31st - that's gonna be awesome!
Thank you. Yeah that is why we added DLR to our Sequoia weekend because my husband surprised us with OBB tickets.

Thank you. Yeah that is why we added DLR to our Sequoia weekend because my husband surprised us with OBB tickets.

Sounds like your Husband is a cool, Disney loving guy! 😎 He's right about open to close - go Park Commandos! I'll be doing that this weekend. 😁

If I have 3 days, my basic plan is this, I am not sure how much OBB interferes with this plan:

1) One day at DL, limit yourself to 1 half the park (everything except FantasyLand, ToonTown, and TomorrowLand). Once you get all you want to do at that half of the park, you can do repeats or try and start hitting some of the FL or TL rides, or park hop if you wish.

2) One day at DL, do the rest of the DL park, and do repeats as you wish.

3) One day at DCA. Do what you wish, and park hop if you wish.

If you go to WDW and are used to the rides there:
Out of the rides that exist in WDW, you should definitely do the following:

Space Mountain, Pirates, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion (since configured in holiday mode).

Note that Runaway Railway, the queue is much improved and fun to go through. The actual ride though is mostly the same.

You can probably skip (near identical experience, or not as good): Peter Pan, Small World, Under the Sea (DCA), Soarin (DCA), Philharmagic (DCA). Small World does have the "hidden" Disney characters during the ride, but it's not that much of a reason to go on it, unless you really enjoy the ride.

Maybe skip: Winnie the Pooh. Rise of Resistance, Millenium Falcon.

CarsLand, especially at night, is an absolute must when you visit DCA and it does not have a counterpart at WDW. Are there any franchises/movies/characters you are more into than others? That will help make recommendations.

Hmmmm, I can see two possible itineraries, based on your 3-day tickets and an OBB ticket. I am definitely in the camp of “don’t do a park on your party day” based on my past experiences, this past weekend included, but I’m also in the “I don’t want to do a half day on my last day because i love the parks at night“ camp. LOL. So with those disclaimers in mind my suggestion would be the following…

Option 1:
10/30 - DL - prioritize non WDW things
(G+ for Indiana, Haunted Mansion Holiday and other ride of your choice*). Take a nice mid day break and head back around/after dinner and capitalize on your day 1 adrenaline and close down that park! Don‘t wait until your last day to see the fireworks, try and catch them tonight with a view of the castle - you can watch from a different location (Galaxy’s edge, small world) on your next DL day.

10/31- OBB only (arrive between 4:30-6pm)
Sleep in, have lunch at downtown disney. Get ready for OBB but avoid the crush of humanity during mix in time and arrive a bit later. If you arrrive before the party starts head to Guardians and ride it. Then prioritize party only stuff: treat trails - perhaps have your son pick his top 3 Villians (skip the candy only ones but DO NOT MISS Ernesto de la Cruz. He is amazing, we saw him twice he was so good!!), Villians grove (must be dark to experience) and parade if of interest. Don’t “waste” time on rides other than guardians and perhaps Racers (short line/better at night) because you will do them on your DCA day. Maybe hop in line for Incredicoaster right before 11 and close it out that way.
Don’t let the long lines for the treat trails or villains grove fool you, they move fast!

11/1 - DL
No need to rope drop, but try and arrive in the morning to maximize G+. Do anything you didn’t do on day 1, and compare the WDW and DL versions (Big Thunder, Small World, Space, etc.) Mid day break and catch fireworks (if running) from a different location.

11/2 - DCA am
Use G+ for the regular version of Guardians, Webslingers and Incredicoaster. Skip Toy Story, Mermaid, Philharmagic, Soarin (same as WDW). Head to LA as late as possible. ;)

Option 2:

Day 2 - DCA am and OBB
Because it’s a party day, most single ticket guests will go to Disneyland. Zig when they zag. Prioritize rides as in your last day on Option 1, but be sure get a G+ For the Monsters After Dark version of Guardians (they only are available later in the afternoon, so just keep an eye out.) You can use this during the mix in time to save time in line. Then skip rides during the party to do party only things, maybe again hopping on Incredicoaster or Racers just before 11 to end out the night.

* I use G+ like the WDW Fast Pass of yore - use it to secure your top 3 priorities and the rest is a bonus! Be sure to read up on modifying if you aren’t familiar with that from WDW.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

Last edited:
Also, keep an eye on the show schedule if nighttime entertainment is of interest. Much of the year DL park offers fireworks only Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Weekdays will be projections only (though the Halloween projections are pretty fun). World of Color should be shown nightly on non-OBB days.

CarsLand, especially at night, is an absolute must when you visit DCA and it does not have a counterpart at WDW. Are there any franchises/movies/characters you are more into than others? That will help make recommendations.
My son and husband are huge Marvel Fans. One of the reasons they wanted to go. We went to WDW before Marvel became big there.

If I have 3 days, my basic plan is this, I am not sure how much OBB interferes with this plan:

1) One day at DL, limit yourself to 1 half the park (everything except FantasyLand, ToonTown, and TomorrowLand). Once you get all you want to do at that half of the park, you can do repeats or try and start hitting some of the FL or TL rides, or park hop if you wish.

2) One day at DL, do the rest of the DL park, and do repeats as you wish.

3) One day at DCA. Do what you wish, and park hop if you wish.

If you go to WDW and are used to the rides there:
Out of the rides that exist in WDW, you should definitely do the following:

Space Mountain, Pirates, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion (since configured in holiday mode).

Note that Runaway Railway, the queue is much improved and fun to go through. The actual ride though is mostly the same.

You can probably skip (near identical experience, or not as good): Peter Pan, Small World, Under the Sea (DCA), Soarin (DCA), Philharmagic (DCA). Small World does have the "hidden" Disney characters during the ride, but it's not that much of a reason to go on it, unless you really enjoy the ride.

Maybe skip: Winnie the Pooh. Rise of Resistance, Millenium Falcon.
Thank you for breaking down to Lands in the park. I love to go into parks with a plan of attack.

Hmmmm, I can see two possible itineraries, based on your 3-day tickets and an OBB ticket. I am definitely in the camp of “don’t do a park on your party day” based on my past experiences, this past weekend included, but I’m also in the “I don’t want to do a half day on my last day because i love the parks at night“ camp. LOL. So with those disclaimers in mind my suggestion would be the following…

Option 1:
10/30 - DL - prioritize non WDW things
(G+ for Indiana, Haunted Mansion Holiday and other ride of your choice*). Take a nice mid day break and head back around/after dinner and capitalize on your day 1 adrenaline and close down that park! Don‘t wait until your last day to see the fireworks, try and catch them tonight with a view of the castle - you can watch from a different location (Galaxy’s edge, small world) on your next DL day.

10/31- OBB only (arrive between 4:30-6pm)
Sleep in, have lunch at downtown disney. Get ready for OBB but avoid the crush of humanity during mix in time and arrive a bit later. If you arrrive before the party starts head to Guardians and ride it. Then prioritize party only stuff: treat trails - perhaps have your son pick his top 3 Villians (skip the candy only ones but DO NOT MISS Ernesto de la Cruz. He is amazing, we saw him twice he was so good!!), Villians grove (must be dark to experience) and parade if of interest. Don’t “waste” time on rides other than guardians and perhaps Racers (short line/better at night) because you will do them on your DCA day. Maybe hop in line for Incredicoaster right before 11 and close it out that way.
Don’t let the long lines for the treat trails or villains grove fool you, they move fast!

11/1 - DL
No need to rope drop, but try and arrive in the morning to maximize G+. Do anything you didn’t do on day 1, and compare the WDW and DL versions (Big Thunder, Small World, Space, etc.) Mid day break and catch fireworks (if running) from a different location.

11/2 - DCA am
Use G+ for the regular version of Guardians, Webslingers and Incredicoaster. Skip Toy Story, Mermaid, Philharmagic, Soarin (same as WDW). Head to LA as late as possible. ;)

Option 2:

Day 2 - DCA am and OBB
Because it’s a party day, most single ticket guests will go to Disneyland. Zig when they zag. Prioritize rides as in your last day on Option 1, but be sure get a G+ For the Monsters After Dark version of Guardians (they only are available later in the afternoon, so just keep an eye out.) You can use this during the mix in time to save time in line. Then skip rides during the party to do party only things, maybe again hopping on Incredicoaster or Racers just before 11 to end out the night.

* I use G+ like the WDW Fast Pass of yore - use it to secure your top 3 priorities and the rest is a bonus! Be sure to read up on modifying if you aren’t familiar with that from WDW.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!
Thank you. My husband is a ride everything type of guy. I think my son will want to ride Webslingers all day! We are so excited!! We are calling this trip " Goodbye Childhood, Hello Adulthood".

Thank you so much for all the responses. This is exactly what I needed. Since it seems like the majority recommend doing nothing on the day of arrival, is it possible to fit in a couple of hours to see the Pacific? We are not particular where to go just want to put our feet in the ocean if possible. We have the rental car until 8:00 PM returning near Candy Cane Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter