Help me understand how fuel rods work

midnight star

DIS Veteran
I always bring a portable charger to the parks with me. However the one I have is large and bulky, and too big for small crossbody bags. I am wanting to bring something smaller and lighter.

How do the fuel rods work? Do I buy one at the park at the kiosk, then return it by the end of the day? Do I get to keep it? Where do you recharge them? I haven't seen many posts about them, and when I checked the website, it was in relation to WDW, not DL.

Thanks!

Buy it, use it (doesn't have to be same day, same week, same month, or even same year, though I have no idea how long it could keep the charge), return it for a fresh one. There are multiple kiosks throughout the parks.

Yes, you can keep it. There are some (not a lot) kiosks throughout the US if you need a fresh one.

I had these same questions and I think I'm going to get one before our next DLR trip. You can exchange for a fresh one at the kiosks OR recharge them yourself, yes? That's how I understood it, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. And that's for the "Fuel Rod" brand only, yeah?

We bought our's at an airport. Few dollars cheaper than disney.

One tip I have for fuel rods is, don't wait until your phone is almost empty to charge it. At WDW, I would get a fuel rod and plug in either a phone or a USB fan right away. Anytime I passed fuel rod exchange machine, I would get a fresh one.

I had these same questions and I think I'm going to get one before our next DLR trip. You can exchange for a fresh one at the kiosks OR recharge them yourself, yes? That's how I understood it, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. And that's for the "Fuel Rod" brand only, yeah?

Yes that's correct- you can swap at a kiosk and/or charge it yourself. It must be an actual Fuel Rod brand to swap at a kiosk-they have a bar code on one end that the machine reads when you do a swap. I really love the Fuel Rod system in the parks. Although I have seen the kiosks a few other places I haven't had much need outside DLR for them. I second jo-jo's recommendation to not wait until your phone is dead and swap pretty much whenever you pass a machine.

I did have an issue at the kiosk in Critter Country a couple trips ago where it took my fuel rod but didn't dispense a new one. I called the number posted on the machine, gave the lady some info and she was able to make it spit one out remotely. Other than that, I haven't had any issues and that one was resolved quickly and easily.

Thanks everyone! I didn’t realize fuel rods were used outside of the parks. I thought it was just a DL thing. Shows how much I know about this subject haha.

The only kiosk I know of is in the pin trading store. Does the app have a list of the locations? I’m assuming they are on both DL and DCA?

Thanks everyone! I didn’t realize fuel rods were used outside of the parks. I thought it was just a DL thing. Shows how much I know about this subject haha.

The only kiosk I know of is in the pin trading store. Does the app have a list of the locations? I’m assuming they are on both DL and DCA?
Yes in both parks as well as the 3 hotels. Locations are on the map in the app.

Edit: they are labeled as portable phone charging systems kiosks on the app.

There's a list somewhere, but I can't remember where. It must be on here somewhere! At any rate, I know there's one somewhere by it's a small world, and the lockers off Main Street.

I did a search for tnt Fuel Rod locations once (like a national search) and that's when I found out they weren't just a Disney thing :)

You can order them directly from the Fuelrod website for $25. How much are they at Disney?

You can order them directly from the Fuelrod website for $25. How much are they at Disney?

Wait, I just noticed this disclaimer on their website. That's new and concerning.

"The ability to be swapped (traded) for a fully fueled unit at little to no additional cost at any FuelRod SwapBox"

Has anyone seen a charge for swapping a FuelRod?

How much do they run at Disney vs. Airport?
They are $30 at Disney. I got mine in the Reno airport last year for $20 + tax.
Wait, I just noticed this disclaimer on their website. That's new and concerning.

"The ability to be swapped (traded) for a fully fueled unit at little to no additional cost at any FuelRod SwapBox"

Never been charged

No charge for swapping at DLR or WDW. I can't speak to non Disney Parks locations.

DLR Locations I have used (not an all inclusive list- I know there are others):

Disneyland:
Main Street Lockers
In the shop at the Exit of IASW
In the pin trading shop at the entrance to Frontierland
In the Candy Store in Critter Country

DCA:
In Knick Knack's (shop on the boardwalk across from the Lamplight Lounge)

GCH:
In the walkway/hallway by the conference center/on the way to DTD. It's right inside the sliding doors before DTD Security.

No charge for swapping at DLR or WDW. I can't speak to non Disney Parks locations.

DLR Locations I have used (not an all inclusive list- I know there are others):

Disneyland:
Main Street Lockers
In the shop at the Exit of IASW
In the pin trading shop at the entrance to Frontierland
In the Candy Store in Critter Country

DCA:
In Knick Knack's (shop on the boardwalk across from the Lamplight Lounge)

GCH:
In the walkway/hallway by the conference center/on the way to DTD. It's right inside the sliding doors before DTD Security.
Perfect! When I go next week I think I'm going to get one!!

Check if the charger cord will work for your phone before you plan on getting on while there. They don't come with one that works for either my phone or my daughter's phone and we both have different phones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!