Help Me Pick Which Resort !!!

punch57

Mouseketeer
Finally getting back to the WORLD !!! My buddy is letting me use his DVC for a 2 bedroom villa !!! I have 2 to choose from Old Key West or Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard view). We have stayed at OKW 3 times already. Is AKL nice or should I stick with OKW ??? Help Us Please !!!

We will be 8 - 2 Families !!!

I love AKV! I think it's my favorite DVC resort. However, I haven't stayed at OKW, so I can't accurately compare it.

What a generous friend you have!

AKL, arguably, has some of the most immersive theming on property, an experience you probably cannot get anywhere else in the states. There are still plenty of animal viewing areas (in hallways and lobby) with a standard room. Do you know if there is Jambo or Kidani availability?
OKW units are larger (and usually less points), but AKV Kidani (only) has 3 bathrooms in the 2BR (vs 2 for OKW) and AKV (Jambo and Kidani) has an extra sleeper chair in the Living Room (nice if the 2 in the living room do not want to share a bed)

We could go all day on pluses and minuses, what do you think makes for a better trip?

We have stayed at OKW many times, much more than anywhere else. I had reservations for Jan for OKW and then we changed to VWL which I know we also like but in a different way so this will be a change for us.

We are staying at AK standard in October so I'm sorry I can't tell you yet how we like it. We have stayed in the hotel part and liked it, but it does seem to be far away from everything compared to OKW.

Good luck with your decision.

Was at OKW in March and Kidani in June. I say - go for Kidani. You will not be disappointed. Both have pros and cons, but since you have not been to AKV I think it is worth making the change. I was in standard room - still plenty of viewing areas - nice observation decks and lower deck off lobby. The pool and water play area is great for kids. Only downside is no counter service meals, but you can pick them up at Mara (over at Jambo House)

We just stayed at both OKW and AKV (Jambo) and I can tell you both were awesome but totally different. OKW has a more homey feel, less hotelish. We had a SV at AKV which was super cool but without the view, I would choose OKW for sure. AKV is way the heck out there though so it took a while to get to the parks. I just asked my hubby and he said overall, he liked OKW better. :goodvibes

i just spent 1 night at AK Kidani in june and have been to OKW a couple of times.

AK was amazing for the one day. Seeing all the animals from our balcony while we had dinner was the highlight.

But I would not want to stay there for a longer stay, especially in a non-Savannah room.

dining is limited and it can be a very long walk from your room to the lobby/pool.

i would recommend a split stay if you can do that. a couple days at AK and then to OKW. that may be a hassle if you have little kids though.

otherwise, stay at OKW and just go to the AKL for dinner some night. you will be able to walk around and experience seeing the animals.

as an aside, i prefer saratoga springs to OKW. better food options, closer to downtown disney, and nicer pools.

either way you will will have an awesome trip ! have fun !!

I would pick AKV, Kidani, for sure! The newness of the resort, the great pool area with the programs for kids, the ability to see animals from around the resort, the themed activities for all ages, make it the definite choice for me.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Given that you will have to take the bus everywhere if you opt for either property, I would choose AKV...the animals, theming, dining options, entertainment can't be beat. Enjoy!! :goodvibes

I've never stayed at either, but hope to stay at all of the WDW DVCs at some point, so I'd say if you've been to OKW 3 times I'd try AKV.

Chris

Another plus to AKV is Boma. I'm not a buffet person, but it's a great place to eat when you have a big crowd.

I don't know the answer to this but maybey someone can help.

what is the travel time from okw to mk
vs
akv to mk
not counting wait times of course.

we stayed at okw in feb I didn't find drive times bad but everyone has been saying how FAR OUT THERE akv are??

just something to think about.

I like OKW. If you need a lot of room to spread out, it is the logical choice. It is so much larger than the other resorts and has a "homey" feel.

Well....you know you can't go wrong with OKW. But since you've already stayed there three times you may want to try AKV. It's a spectacular place and to have Boma and Jiko at your fingertips is a real plus. Honestly, you can't lose either way. :thumbsup2

My 2 cents -- You've already experienced OKW, so why not try something new this time at AKV?

About about it taking longer to get to the parks -- it's not THAT much longer that it would be a huge inconvenience. IMO, it's not a strong enough reason not to choose one resort over another.

Either resort, you'll have a GREAT time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!