Help me decide where to eat - CS only

ada0801

Earning My Ears
We will be at UO for 4 days (2 full and 2 half) in November. I keep debating over where to eat? We have 2 kids with us (11 and 6).
Monster cafe because it’s cool? Capitan America because we love marvel? Jurassic because the food is good? Seuss because it’s fun? I’m just lost. We are first timers.
Give me your thoughts? We will eat 6 meals or so in the park. We don’t currently plan to eat at City Walk. If we wait to eat til after park close, we’ll probably eat at the hotel.

(The above are just ideas and not an exhaustive list)

My recommendations are: Louie's at the Studios...they have the best pizza of any theme park I have ever tasted. At IOA I would recommend Thunder Falls Terrace in Jurassic Park...they have large portions and the chicken wrap is outstanding!

Last edited:
I like Monsters Cafe, the food is decent and the air conditioning is always really cold lol. Some of my other favorites are Leaky Cauldron, Three Broomsticks, Louie's, Mel's Diner.

What do your kids (and you) like to eat?

That plays a large part in CS recommendations...

Of what you suggested, I'd skip Seuss and Cpt America's spots...if you want iconic, the most iconic CS location is Springfield's restaurant row (which has a name in the app that doesn't remind you of the Simpsons)...it's not the "best" CS food, but it will blow your kids away with theming...

If you're into Harry Potter the two restaurants are probably must dos just for the experience not necessarily the food. I would definitely NOT do the Comic Strip Cafe. I did really like the Fast Food Blvd though how much was due to being a Simpsons' fan I can't really say. Unfortunately I tend to fill up on Voodoo donuts and don't eat too much when I'm in the parks so my experience with the restaurants is pretty limited.

Unfortunately the in-park counter service food at Universal is very meh. It’s a LOT of fried food and pizza. However, Today Cafe is a hidden gem and has actual healthy options if you need something different than pizza and fries. Their pastries are also excellent. And as others have mentioned, either of the Harry Potter restaurants are actually good. Be sure to get the Pumpkin Fizz in Hogsmeade (they don’t have it in Diagon Alley from what I could find).

I suggest takings look at the table service prices before committing to quick service only. QS can still be a challenge at peak meal times and the prices aren’t all that different given the quality of the experience. I’d try to have one meal at WWOHP venue just for the experience.

We are also new . Thanks for posting. I wish there was a good photo thread of food .

How good is CS with food allergies? We will be at Universal for a few days in November have not been in long time only have a lot of experience with Disney where we pretty much have to eat at TS.

IOA - We haven't done a lot of Counter Service (Universal calls them Quick Service) in IOA. We tried Doc Sugru's once (near the Mystic Fountain) and enjoyed it. One of these times, we'll try Fire Eater's Grill (same area) - we've heard it's pretty good. Both of those places serve non-traditional theme park food.

USF - Favorites are: Bumblebee Man Tacos and Cletus' Chicken Shack (in Fast Food Boulevard). We've been to Today Cafe once and enjoyed it, will definitely go again. Went to Louie's once and thought it was just okay.

Interested to hear why you are ruling out Casual dining and City Walk. City Walk has some good QS options, too - Bread Box is good. Red Oven is classified by Universal as Casual, but it's kind of half way between QS and Casual (it's just not super quick, so they probably took that into consideration). Hit Bend the Bao and Hot Dog Hall of Fame once each and would go back.

We did 3 Broomsticks with allergies and they were good. Other than that, we stuck to TS when dining with our allergy kid.

Wizarding World QS are good. Springfield and Today Cafe are also good. I don't think Kid Zone is supposed to be good. Do not eat at Circus McGurkus (Seuss)!!!! If you want to see the inside, then ride the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley, right hand side train if you are facing the loading platform from the lines. Or just walk in. Green Eggs and Ham is supposed to be good though. Capt America is supposed to be terrible. Actually, just avoid all food in Marvel. Do not eat anywhere in Toon Lagoon either, unless Wimpy's is open. We ate at Fire Eater's in July and enjoyed it.

IOA - We haven't done a lot of Counter Service (Universal calls them Quick Service) in IOA. We tried Doc Sugru's once (near the Mystic Fountain) and enjoyed it. One of these times, we'll try Fire Eater's Grill (same area) - we've heard it's pretty good. Both of those places serve non-traditional theme park food.

USF - Favorites are: Bumblebee Man Tacos and Cletus' Chicken Shack (in Fast Food Boulevard). We've been to Today Cafe once and enjoyed it, will definitely go again. Went to Louie's once and thought it was just okay.

Interested to hear why you are ruling out Casual dining and City Walk. City Walk has some good QS options, too - Bread Box is good. Red Oven is classified by Universal as Casual, but it's kind of half way between QS and Casual (it's just not super quick, so they probably took that into consideration). Hit Bend the Bao and Hot Dog Hall of Fame once each and would go back.

we are big disney people and after years of table service, we like to go with the flow more. Having reservations means we have to plan around them. When we go to disney, we are rope drop to close in the parks. We find the secrets anddo all the rides. I just didn’t want to have to stop down too long to sit and eat. We do want good food, but food isn’t why we go. We want to play and eat on the run. I’m open as it makes sense. We are there for 2 full days and 2 half days with express pass.

We really like Fire Eaters Grill and Doc Sugru`s but it`s been a while.

We don`t do many CS dishes, but, Blondie`s in Toon Lagoon are is very good for sandwiches, Thunder Falls Terrace is excellent and way above most theme park food options. Citywalk isn`t a long walk from the parks and you can get some lovely food in Bread Box and I`m sure there are others.

Mel`s Diner I would avoid completely. Potter restaurants are not for us but many enjoy them and it is wonderful to see the detail in there.

You will find food that is not just burgers and pizza, there are some lovely options around. Have a check of the menu thread in the stickies that damo created.

we are big disney people and after years of table service, we like to go with the flow more. Having reservations means we have to plan around them. When we go to disney, we are rope drop to close in the parks. We find the secrets anddo all the rides. I just didn’t want to have to stop down too long to sit and eat. We do want good food, but food isn’t why we go. We want to play and eat on the run. I’m open as it makes sense. We are there for 2 full days and 2 half days with express pass.
I appreciate this response.

We've been to the parks a number of times and have relaxed our "let's eat something quick" policy. It's a luxury we have due to how often we've been and it's sometimes hard to remember that we started out very much like your response.

At Disney, we pretty much avoid TS and have never made a reservation more than about 6 hours in advance. I, too, hate the idea of having to plan to be in a particular place at a particular time when there are so many other variables that impact my timing.

Add to that, if it's your first visit to a park, you really have no idea how to maximize your touring while keeping an eye on that resi time.

At Universal, pre-COVID, I think we only ever made one reservation and that was because our daughter really wanted to eat at Vivo for her birthday. We didn't want to risk some off situation where it got crowded.

We didn't make any diner reservations for our first COVID times trip and waits were long. Second trip, we booked dinners 2 or 3 days in advance just to be safe. We'll probably do the same for our October trip.

With 2 full days and 2 half days while having Express, you will get so much done.

I do think you will find the overall experience to be very different from Disney - not better or worse, but different. You may be very surprised at how close City Walk is to the parks and how close the parks are to each other.

Bumblebee Man Tacos was one of the best quick service meals I had during my trip. Do not let the fact that is a taco truck fool you. The food is great. It is outside near Moe's/the Springfield food court.

I've heard really good things about the crepe stand in Universal Studios, though I haven't been there yet. Also in US, I'd say the jacket potatoes at the London Taxi Stand are a sleeper hit (yes they're "boring" but sometimes you need a hearty, healthyish potato), and that we preferred the menu at the Leaky Cauldron over the Three Broomstick. I've only heard good things about the Today Cafe and we plan to eat there in November when we go.

In IoA, for QS we liked gyros & falafel at Fire Eater's Grill, but found the kebabs at Doc Sugrue's rather tough.

When I went a few years ago in early June, we actually ate lunch at our hotel almost every single day because we needed the midday break so badly it was so hot. The poolside food options at RP and CBBR are both great, and the Bayliner Diner isn't amazing but it was decent.

Do you have to do mobile order or can you just go in?
At Universal, you do not have to mobile order. Many QS places offer mobile order in the app but it’s completely voluntary. So yes, you can just go in to the register to order (although sometimes a long wait in line depending on the day/time).

Just back from a trip and Today Cafe', Thunder Falls Terrace, and the crepe stand were major wins in my book. Had one meal at the three Broomsticks and I would not go back, it was a breakfast so maybe lunch is better? Either way that got a failing grade from the spouse and I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter