HELP - Food from Virginia

llp479

DIS Veteran
DD is doing a very large state project on Virginia. As part of the project, the teacher has all the kids bring in food from "their" state for what she calls "Southeast Feast". So, dd has to bring in something from Virginia. The only thing I can think of is Virginia ham, but no way am I buying a ham to bake and take to class. Number 1 reason $$, number 2 - I can't stand the stuff, numer 3 - how would I get it there and keep in warm so no one got sick!

Why couldn't she have gotten FL? I could have sent in Mickey gummies:earsboy:

TIA!

Laura

Pammy jo

DIS Veteran
Peanuts, but that might not go over so well with allergies.

Let me think . . .crabcakes (might cost more than the ham),
something from colonial times?

Sorry, I live here and I eat pretty much the same things as you do!

soccerchick

Dis Veteran<br><font color=red>My husband has rice
Like Pammy Jo, I first thought of peanuts. You could also do apples. There are several apple orchards in both Northern Virginia (Loudoun County and westward, there's a pretty big Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, VA) and around the Charlottesville area. One of my family's favorite fall activities is apple picking.

Of course there are also some excellent wineries here too;) Guess that will have to wait until a college-age project.

llp479

DIS Veteran
Thanks! Apples may be the way to go.

I think the whole "food" thing is kind of weird. She suggested for the kid who has Vermont to bring in pancackes and Vermont syrup! I can see it now, Saturday March 20th 28 kids from this class will be sick with food poisoning:smooth:

Cruise04

<font color=CC0099>Oh that is so incredibly cool!<
I was thinking peanuts too but agree about the allergies - we went to this awesome place called...The Peanut Shop... when we were in Williamsburg at Christmas and they are awesome. Expensive but very good peanuts - and you can order online. I know this isn't a great time of year but they have awesome peaches too!!!

soccerchick

Dis Veteran<br><font color=red>My husband has rice
Good luck with this project, although it sounds more like an assignment for the moms and dads than for the kids:rolleyes:

JulianneP

DIS Veteran
If apples don't work (say some one from Washington state brings them) you can always do little deli ham sandwichs. Just make them little finger sizes. Or go with the Colonial times like Pammy Jo said and try snicker doodle cookies, cornbread etc..

Doctor P

<font color=navy><font color=navy>Chocolate covere
Good old fashioned apple cider might be something good. But since the first Thanksgiving celebration was in Virginia (look it up--it was surprising to me, too--it's probably a definitional thing) something related to something served at that dinner might be kind of neat, too.

mommytotwo

DIS Veteran
That would be interesting to see what each child brings. I wonder what the student with Hawaii brought.

Tinkrbell

Mouseketeer
I would go with your first idea.

I like the idea of Ham sandwiches. Just get a package of ham, oskar meyer, hillshire farm, whatever is on sale, probably costs $2.50. A loaf of bread $1.00. Cut each sandwich into 4's (triangles) stab with a toothpick, and arrange them on a plate.

You could make a sign saying Virginia Ham Sandwiches if you like.

When we moved to NOVA I made baskets for gifts at Christmas with Va food items in it. But, like what was mentioned here, not much of it would be very good for children. Peanuts, lots of Wine, salad dressing.

Good Luck with your homework.;)

bethie

DIS Veteran
Ham biscuits are the way. You can buy Smithfield or Gwaltney ham at you grocer's deli. Make sure they slice it thin because it can be salty! It is great on potato rolls. I love the stuff. All the allergies today, peanut pie is too die for.:)

llp479

DIS Veteran
Thanks for all the suggestions, and the web-site links! I think I'll ask the teacher if there are any peanut allergies in the class, because I know my daughter would much prefer the nuts to the ham!

We didn't get the warning note home this year, so the allergy thing may not be an issue. Believe it or not, our district tries to put all the kids with peanut allergies together in the same class. With 32 4th grade classes, they have the ability to do this.

Thanks again! Off to do "her" travel brochure that's due Monday. Thank goodness for the internet. I keep telling my dds that they don't know how good they've got it! "In my day" we would have spent hours at the library pouring over books, magazines, and spending countless quarters making copies!

kadaten

Haven't been "HOME" in awhile...
Might be a bit of a cop-out, but in Virginia Beach there is a rather yummy candy store that makes its own salt-water taffy! Don't you always have to have taffy at the beach? We do!

Loved the idea of mini ham sandwiches...for me, I'd prefer Honey Baked ham on little biscuits, but for the kiddies, sandwich meat should be just fine.

Peanuts really are big around here.....one of the state's biggest crops! Love peanuts, boiled peanuts, roasted peanuts, peanut brittle, etc.....

Katie

DISNEY DINING PROMO CARD OFFER!

The Disney Dining Promo Card is a great way for you to “Stay, Play, and Dine” at Walt Disney World this summer. This offer is available for arrivals from June 25 to September 14, 2023.

Click Here for a No-Obligation Quote!