Help, Aulani Can't Decide

If you are in for the long haul, hold out for a subsidized contract at Aulani. (Unless you get a screaming deal at $80pp) At $90pp for a regular contract and $110pp for a subsidized contract (160 points) the break even point is less than 10 years. (assuming typical inflation). When all is said and done, the reinvested money saved does not equal more than the differences in 28 years of subsidized vs unsubsidized dues. This is true with a $105pp contract at AK or SS as well.

If you are in for the long haul, hold out for a subsidized contract at Aulani. (Unless you get a screaming deal at $80pp) At $90pp for a regular contract and $110pp for a subsidized contract (160 points) the break even point is less than 10 years. (assuming typical inflation). When all is said and done, the reinvested money saved does not equal more than the differences in 28 years of subsidized vs unsubsidized dues. This is true with a $105pp contract at AK or SS as well.

My contract is not subsidized but received a $70 a point contract, 150 points. I was not saying it saves more than subsidized dues, I didn't even mention subsidized dues to the best of my knowledge. $70 a point at Aulani, compared to $105 at SS(used a figure that is likely to make it through) comes out exactly as I said(numbers I gave a couple of places, if not on this thread). With your number my $70 contract results in a savings of 6k compared to the same contract with subsidized dues at 110. That 6k(modest 6% return) will earn $360 in the first year as opposed to the $310 the subsidized dues would save. IE every year the savings grow, not deplete. A subsidized contract would be great, but I doubt I will get one at $70 and pass ROFR.

PS I am kind of confused, I said the details of the purchase in the first post and you even said that I should definitely buy in another.

We are Canadians with two resale AUL contracts. First bought pre-COVID when we could go to the US Embassy and get the deed notarized for a small fee. Second during COVID when the Embassy was closed. Had to get the deed notarized by a regular Canadian notary, then send it all in to the US Embassy for them to authenticate our notary. Not sure if the US Embassies in Canada are open yet due to COVID, but it is all detailed here in this post by @blizzard: https://www.disboards.com/threads/us-notary-services.3809426/#post-62246952

We are Canadians with two resale AUL contracts. First bought pre-COVID when we could go to the US Embassy and get the deed notarized for a small fee. Second during COVID when the Embassy was closed. Had to get the deed notarized by a regular Canadian notary, then send it all in to the US Embassy for them to authenticate our notary. Not sure if the US Embassies in Canada are open yet due to COVID, but it is all detailed here in this post by @blizzard: https://www.disboards.com/threads/us-notary-services.3809426/#post-62246952
Question for you, did you pay cash or require financing? On another thread a DVC rep said notarizing was only needed if I am getting a loan. Thanks

Last edited:

Question for you, did you pay cash or require a"loan"(sorry can't think of the word I am looking for right now). On another thread a DVC rep said notarizing was only needed if I am getting a loan. Thanks
Cash. Hawaii needs a US notary. It is not difficult or expensive though once you know what to do. ($50 or $100 USD)

Notary is required for Aulani when buying.
Ok I will go in with that expectation. The DVC rep on the other thread confirmed that International buyers don't need a notary unless using financing. I guess we will see whether that ends up being true.

Cash. Hawaii needs a US notary. It is not difficult or expensive though once you know what to do. ($50 or $100 USD)
It sounds like a challenge. I looked up online and it didn't have appts for notarizing available at the consolate. I saw one lawyers office offering US notarizing in TO but at $100 per signature.

$70pp for Aulani is a screaming buy

Even though I don't care about going to Aulani other than maybe once or twice, the price is too good not to try.

It has nothing to do with financing. You need the US notary or authentication of a Canadian notary. Just get it notarized by a Canadian then do the authentication process as detailed by blizzard. The only difference from her instructions was that for us, the price was $50 US bank draft to the consulate for one document (even though two signatures). This was in Calgary though so maybe Toronto’s consulate has a different process.

It has nothing to do with financing. You need the US notary or authentication of a Canadian notary. Just get it notarized by a Canadian then do the authentication process as detailed by blizzard. The only difference from her instructions was that for us, the price was $50 US bank draft to the consulate for one document (even though two signatures). This was in Calgary though so maybe Toronto’s consulate has a different process.

Thanks. Actually the DVC rep must have not seen that we were talking about AUL as she eventually said a notary isn't needed unless it is AUL. So all answers are now the same. Yourself and another person or two has said its not that big of a deal even though it sounds like a lot of time and money for it but I will assume it doesn't end up being that big of a thing. We have drive thru CDN notaries here in Mississauga right now. We will see if the consolate is open for appts. If not maybe I will just pay the $200 for the lawyer to do it so that it is one step instead of shipping both ways, going to a CDN notary and then sending it to the US Consolate and waiting for its return.

My contract is not subsidized but received a $70 a point contract, 150 points. I was not saying it saves more than subsidized dues, I didn't even mention subsidized dues to the best of my knowledge. $70 a point at Aulani, compared to $105 at SS(used a figure that is likely to make it through) comes out exactly as I said(numbers I gave a couple of places, if not on this thread). With your number my $70 contract results in a savings of 6k compared to the same contract with subsidized dues at 110. That 6k(modest 6% return) will earn $360 in the first year as opposed to the $310 the subsidized dues would save. IE every year the savings grow, not deplete. A subsidized contract would be great, but I doubt I will get one at $70 and pass ROFR.

PS I am kind of confused, I said the details of the purchase in the first post and you even said that I should definitely buy in another.
Sorry,
My reply was not specific enough and answered a different question from a different post. Your deal is awesome, you should totally do it. My post was simply saying that if you cant find a great deal like yours, you should look for a subsidized contract.

Sorry,
My reply was not specific enough and answered a different question from a different post. Your deal is awesome, you should totally do it. My post was simply saying that if you cant find a great deal like yours, you should look for a subsidized contract.
Ah ok, that explains it, not too worry, sorry I was trying to make sense of it and respond in a way that would make sense when I didn't exactly understand

$70 great deal. No way subsidized would be posted for that price. Agent would buy it before listing if I were them.. ;)

For westcoasters, AUL makes sense as a SAP and 11month opportunity for Hawaii.....IF DLR ever reopens.

$70 is a great deal for Aulani, congrats!

I'm a westcoaster who recently bought an Aulani subsidized resale contract (270 points at $100/point) so that we could have the 11 month reservation window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!