Hello, Room Service? - A DXDP Review *Completed

Our lunch at 9 Dragons last April was mediocre, at best, but your lunch looks pretty wonderful. Thanks for the latest update :)

Hi Princess Trisha,

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying your reviews and that I am a Scarborough gal as well!! I grew up in Scarborough and lived there until I was 19 or so and then moved out to Hamilton, where I have been ever since!!
Keep up the great reviews!!

Enjoying your reviews! Love the pictures, too :)
That dessert from Nine Dragons looks delicious!

Your's is the first really good review of Nine Dragons I've read in awhile. I may have to reconsider it for my next trip. I know I really want to try that dessert, so maybe I'll just try and get a walk-up mid-afternoon one day for dessert only.

Im very excited about your room service reviews though the ones so far have been great. My fiance and I are going next october and plan on doing alot of room services so hearing about the beach club room service seems like fun :)

The Peach Snap, Welsh Dragon and Grey Goose Slushie are my favorite drinks! I think I will skip the Morocco stand, cannot stand almond flavor in my cocktails!

I've always been kind of wary of Nine Dragons but after your review and a few other good ones lately I may need to re-think it! Thank You :)

I was wary as well but with the dxddp, I knew that there was another great table service meal just around the corner so I thought, "why not?". It turned out to be the surprise restaurant of the trip.

That fish entree looks wonderful!!!!:thumbsup2

It was - it was a tender piece of whitefish - it just flaked apart so easily and the sauce - oh, it was wonderful.

Fun!Can't wait to read Yatchman review!

Coming up next!

Our lunch at 9 Dragons last April was mediocre, at best, but your lunch looks pretty wonderful. Thanks for the latest update :)

It was a wonderful lunch - as I saw some of the other entrees go by (to the table of 10), I think that this restaurant does have some mediocre or downright blah dishes (the fried rice for one didn't look good). I think that we hit on the right items on the right day.

Hi Princess Trisha,

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying your reviews and that I am a Scarborough gal as well!! I grew up in Scarborough and lived there until I was 19 or so and then moved out to Hamilton, where I have been ever since!!
Keep up the great reviews!!

Another Scarberian! Welcome aboard.

Enjoying your reviews! Love the pictures, too :)
That dessert from Nine Dragons looks delicious!

The dessert was delicious - Cindy was right when she said after one taste, I wouldn't want to give up my piece.

Your's is the first really good review of Nine Dragons I've read in awhile. I may have to reconsider it for my next trip. I know I really want to try that dessert, so maybe I'll just try and get a walk-up mid-afternoon one day for dessert only.

Unless you're going during Christmas week, I don't think you'll have a problem walking up to this place mid afternoon. The restaurant was more than half empty. And that dessert is worth the trip.

Im very excited about your room service reviews though the ones so far have been great. My fiance and I are going next october and plan on doing alot of room services so hearing about the beach club room service seems like fun :)

Room service #1 will be coming up shortly (2 reviews away).

The Peach Snap, Welsh Dragon and Grey Goose Slushie are my favorite drinks! I think I will skip the Morocco stand, cannot stand almond flavor in my cocktails!

Those 3 were by far the best drinks - I still have to try a lemoncello from Italy and a viking coffee from Norway.

So after Cape May, Nine Dragons and drinking around the World - we still weren't done eating for the day.

Dinner was around 8:30pm at the Yachtsmen Steakhouse. I booked this because a) it was convenient to the hotel b) I love a good steak c) I wasn't orignally planning on going into a park this day d) I couldn't get California Grille.

I had been debating on ordering myself a birthday cake for this dinner and had written down the cake hotline number and left it by the computer. My Dad found it and took it upon himself to order me my birthday cake. I was surprised but almost cancelled it because it was too much (especially in addition to the dxddp) - I wish I had cancelled it - not because there was anything wrong with it - it was a lovely cake - but for the cost and how much went in the garbage - it was wasteful.

Anyways, on to the review.

We arrived at the restaurant at 8:30 and had about a 10 minute wait. The restaurant wasn't very full at this time. We were seated kind of tucked away in the back room. The table was okay but reflecting back, I wish I had asked to be moved - there were lots of window seats available and they are certainly more desirable.

Our server was personable but a little slow with things.

To start with, we ordered some alcoholic beverages.

Cindy tried to order a Caesar but he didn't know what it was (I think it's a Canadian drink - it's like a bloody mary but made with Clamato juice). She ended up ordering some Bahama Rum drink that I think is on the standardized menu? It was way too strong, like drinking a glass of straight rum. Eventually our server noticed that it was tucked to the side of the table behind our bread basked and offered to have them remake the drink - the second version was much better. (sorry no pic)

I ordered the Magic Star Cocktail (although it was not on the drink menu and our server looked at me like I had two head when I inquired about it). I was able to get it because the Crew Cup lounge makes the drinks and they serve the standard disney drink menu.

This is a great drink - a great mix of sweet and sour. My only wish is that it didn't have quite so much ice.

WDWJune2009104.jpg

The bread basket arrived with the two kinds of bread - sourdough rolls and the onion pull apart rolls. There was also roasted garlic (cindy ate the entire container) and butter with olive oil.

WDWJune2009105.jpg

The roll was flaky and warm with bits of onion on top. It was worth the space it took up in my tummy.

For appetizers I ordered the scallops - I was a little disappointed that it no longer came with the white diamond cheddar risotto but what can you do:confused3. The scallops themselves were good - well seared on the outside, firm but moist. The accompanyments (roasted red peppers, spring onion, arugula and poblano-avocado sauce) were kind of blah - it was like a mini salad, nothing special.

WDWJune2009106.jpg

Cindy ordered the chilled seafood salad. She loved this - it was basically chunks of seafood covered with some salad items. The lemon frached and avocado cream was amazing and she used the seafood to ensure that every drop of the sauces were ingested.

WDWJune2009107.jpg

For my entree I ordered the NY strip steak with the Potato Gratin. This was an excellent steak and cooked perfectly medium rare. The potato was good was a little on the dry side (as a side note I brought my leftovers back to the room and finished them off the next day - the next day the steak was still tender and juicy and the potatoes tasted better than the night before).

WDWJune2009109.jpg

Cindy ordered the filet mignon but substituted the risotto for the mashed potatoes - she ordered her steak medium rare but it came out rare. She returned it (this is where service lacked - it took a long time for our server to check back to make sure everything was okay) but it again came out rare - she ate the edges but that was it. The risotto was very salty and I don't think she ate more than a few bites. I love risotto and tried it and didn't enjoy it at all.

WDWJune2009108.jpg

Next post - dessert :scared1:

So my Dad ordered my birthday cake - in order to get my favourite combo (chocolate cake with white icing) he had to order a 10 inch cake. He left his credit card and when I inquired if I could pay for it instead, I was told that the manager had already taken care of it to ensure that I did not pay for my own birthday care. I really should have inquired as to whether "taking care of it" meant gratis or charging the credit card number my dad gave them - I guess we'll find out when he gets the bill.

Here are several pictures of the cake:

WDWJune2009110.jpg

WDWJune2009111.jpg

WDWJune2009113.jpg

And me with my cake:

WDWJune2009112.jpg

The cake was tasty and we each had a piece. Our server did not offer us a dessert (as included in the plan).

When he brought the bill he also brought a very large glass bottle of Evian water since we didn't have a beverage during dinner.

Dinner was good but based on this experience not a "must do". Later in the trip (when my dad arrived) I had booked Yachtsman again and since he was so looking forward to it, we went. It was so much better!

I think your server and location and even time of your meal can make a big difference. The second server made completely difference recommendations, was personable and humurous and very attentive. (I will be reviewing this second time in rotation).

That cake wouldn't have stood a chance with me!

How was room service? Can't wait for those reviews! We are staying at the BC on the dxdp with 2 small children and I expect to get room service. Not sure if it is worth the credits though. Maybe you can help me decide! :)

So my Dad ordered my birthday cake - in order to get my favourite combo (chocolate cake with white icing) he had to order a 10 inch cake. He left his credit card and when I inquired if I could pay for it instead, I was told that the manager had already taken care of it to ensure that I did not pay for my own birthday care. I really should have inquired as to whether "taking care of it" meant gratis or charging the credit card number my dad gave them - I guess we'll find out when he gets the bill.

And me with my cake:

WDWJune2009112.jpg

The cake was tasty and we each had a piece. Our server did not offer us a dessert (as included in the plan).

Sounds as thought Yachtsman was a little disappointing. On the plus side, the cake looks delicious :thumbsup2

Great review. The cake looks yummy. I do understand too much food but when we celebrated my son birthday I had to order cake (my husband laugh at me b/c they gave him cupcakes at the restuarant b/c when I make ADR the CM noted to all the restaurants we were eating). Can't wait to read more.

That cake wouldn't have stood a chance with me!

How was room service? Can't wait for those reviews! We are staying at the BC on the dxdp with 2 small children and I expect to get room service. Not sure if it is worth the credits though. Maybe you can help me decide! :)

It is absolutely worth two credits (for dinner at least - lunch only if you have spare credits - though there is enough food to feed an army using 4 adult table service credits - 2 people x 2 credits). My first room service review is up next.

Sounds as thought Yachtsman was a little disappointing. On the plus side, the cake looks delicious :thumbsup2

The cake was delicious - Yachtsmen was good - just not great. But I'm glad I tried it the second time - the review of the second trip will be glowing!

Great review. The cake looks yummy. I do understand too much food but when we celebrated my son birthday I had to order cake (my husband laugh at me b/c they gave him cupcakes at the restuarant b/c when I make ADR the CM noted to all the restaurants we were eating). Can't wait to read more.

I kept going back and forth about the cake - If I had a "do over", I'd stick with a chocolate with chocolate cake and just get a smaller one. The white icing wasn't worth having to get such a large cake.

Returning to the room around 10pm Saturday night after dinner, I mentioned to Cindy that the plan was to be at DHS for rope drop on Sunday morning - her response, "You want me to get up when!?! :scared1:"

So we decided to have a lazy morning before picking up the rental car around 2pm Sunday afternoon.

Around 11am we were up and dressed and hungry but not ready to face the world so to speak. I suggested room service (did I mention that it is one of my favourite things about vacation? :rotfl:)

This is what our table looked like:

WDWJune2009118.jpg

Appetizers were Chili and Chips (for me) and a Chicken Quesadilla (for Cindy).

The chili was very meaty but not spicy - and covered with cheese. To make up for the lack of spicy in the chili there was a layer of jalepenos under the cheese (mmmm, good). It came with far too many chips but I think that they used them to make it look like an overflowing portion.

WDWJune2009116.jpg

Cindy's chicken quesadilla was outstanding. There were large chunks of white meat chicken, loads of cheese and onions. I also liked all the little containers of condiments to add to it - I'm not usually a fan of guacmole (I find it gritty and bitter) but this one was smooth and had a more subtle taste.

WDWJune2009117.jpg

For my entree I choose the Chef Salad (which was listed at $16.99). It was good but not $17 good. It had everything you'd expect along with a large bowl of crisp lettuce. I ordered it with blue cheese dressing which came on the side.

WDWJune2009114.jpg

Cindy ordered the tomato and mozzerella sandwich with orzo pasta salad. Cindy had maybe a bite or two and then the rest was packed into the fridge (she ate half the next day and I ate the other half). I can't recommend this sandwich - it was okay but the mozzerella was pretty tasteless - though thick slices of it. The tomato was very ripe and the bun was crispy so those were pluses but there are better items on the menu.

WDWJune2009115.jpg

For drinks I ordered a chocolate milkshake but when it came it was more like chocolate milk over crushed ice :confused3 and Cindy ordered iced tea which was a good deal because she got a carafe of it.

We both ordered fruit (which we intended to have later - so we bagged it and put it in the fridge as well but it ended up frozen so it was tossed). It was a mix of canteloupe, honeydew and grapes - not terribly exciting. It was the same mix they serve as a side at Beaches and Cream. Of course, we had that big cake still so we both dug in and had a generous serving of that. :love::love::love:

The nice thing is there was no additional tip necessary - the 18% gratuity is included with the dxddp and had credits been an issue, we easily could have shared one meal between the two of us.

Lunch room service gets a B but you'll see later that dinner room service gets an A++.

Wow! Thanks for posting this soo quickly! So, this took up 4 credits? What restaurant does their room service come from? Beaches and Cream? Can you order those big nasty burgers form B&C and a No Way Jose? (Although it would probably be melted by the time it gets to us, based on the condition of your shake.)

You wasted dessert on fruit? (Just kidding!) :)

Can't wait for more!

That cake looks so good :cloud9: I can totally understand your dilemma with whether its worth it. With such a large cake I'm sure a lot was thrown away if it was just the 2 of you. Especially since you get dessert with each meal on the DxDP:love:

Honestly I've been considering ordering one because I love me some cake and it's DH and my 10 years together anniversary this year but I'm having a hard time justifying it because we're using the DxDP on our trip too. We'll see if my love of cake overcomes my budget :rolleyes1

Wow! Thanks for posting this soo quickly! So, this took up 4 credits? What restaurant does their room service come from? Beaches and Cream? Can you order those big nasty burgers form B&C and a No Way Jose? (Although it would probably be melted by the time it gets to us, based on the condition of your shake.)

You wasted dessert on fruit? (Just kidding!) :)

Can't wait for more!

All room service is 2 credits per person. I'm not sure where BC room service comes from - not B&C - the ice cream dessert comes in a pint (so no giant sundaes).

That cake looks so good :cloud9: I can totally understand your dilemma with whether its worth it. With such a large cake I'm sure a lot was thrown away if it was just the 2 of you. Especially since you get dessert with each meal on the DxDP:love:

Honestly I've been considering ordering one because I love me some cake and it's DH and my 10 years together anniversary this year but I'm having a hard time justifying it because we're using the DxDP on our trip too. We'll see if my love of cake overcomes my budget :rolleyes1

I'd still order a cake but go with an 8 inch that's either chocolate with chocolate or vanilla with vanilla so it doesn't cost quite so much (and it will fit in the fridge).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter