Heelys / Roller Shoes - Yes or No??

kichan

Earning My Ears
My sister bought a pair of Heelys for her 2 DS (7 and 10), and is returning them to the store because they are having trouble using them. DD (10) also mentioned that she would like a pair, then when I saw the price, I decided to do some research and found a pair of roller sneakers (Heelys have one roller on the heel, roller sneakers are like roller skates with 4 wheels). It seems to me that roller sneakers would be better because you can actually roller skate instead of just rolling on one heel (using Heelys) - I hope that makes sense :confused3

Anyway, after doing some more research today, I found an article on the CBS website about the dangers of Heelys because of improper use, as well as kids not using protective gear (they're supposed to wear helmets, knee pads, etc, but how many kids have you seen in the store/mall wheeling around wearing them??). To cut a long story short, I'm wondering if the roller shoes are any better than Heely's, and if it's worthwhile getting them. Does anyone have any experience with either??

I know I will get flammed for this but....My DS 8 has had them since last summer - keep this in mind - he plays AAA travel Ice hockey so very comfortable on ice skates and roller blades.....It did take him about 2 wks to get situated on heelys...but after that he is now very very very proficent on them - we just bought a new pair last week since he wore out the old ones so bad - the whole team wears them and sorry to say "NONE" of them wear any protective items ever - once your perfect them you can do a lot on them from going backwards, making turns - using them similar to a skateboard.
Now the new pair have a hard plastic for breaks and for grinding which he knows he is not to do on them unless he has a helmet on....but reg. heeling is free range w/o gear...Has he ever fallen - "YES" no more than a scrape knee...if you let the child get them make sure they understand that wet ground or wheels is just like being on ice...they can get very slippery.
I guess I feel comfortable enough with my DS ability not to request gear be worn unless grinding which he hasn't really started...but if someone i know is new to it or doesn't skate on inlines or ice I always tell them to at least put a helmet on the child while they learn casue they WILL FALL!
and just so it isn't asked ---YES my son does wear a helmet for riding a bike or his skate board..... :blush:

My only experience was as a teacher--two kids with broken arms as a result of wearing roller shoes. Obviously, neither child was wearing protective gear during the school day. We had to outlaw them at school.

DD, 10 has had them for over a year and loves them. I took her a few days to get used to them but now she glides around all over! She loves them and I don't have a problem with them for her.

If God wanted you to roll from place to place, he'd have given you wheels instead of feet.
I find them obnoxious!

MELISAZACK said:
he plays AAA travel Ice hockey so very comfortable on ice skates and roller blades.....It did take him about 2 wks to get situated on heelys...but after that he is now very very very proficent on them - we just bought a new pair last week since he wore out the old ones so bad - the whole team wears them and sorry to say "NONE" of them wear any protective items ever - once your perfect them you can do a lot on them from going backwards, making turns - using them similar to a skateboard.
Now the new pair have a hard plastic for breaks and for grinding which he knows he is not to do on them unless he has a helmet on....but reg. heeling is free range w/o gear...Has he ever fallen - "YES" no more than a scrape knee...if you let the child get them make sure they understand that wet ground or wheels is just like being on ice...they can get very slippery.
I guess I feel comfortable enough with my DS ability not to request gear be worn unless grinding which he hasn't really started...but if someone i know is new to it or doesn't skate on inlines or ice I always tell them to at least put a helmet on the child while they learn casue they WILL FALL!
and just so it isn't asked ---YES my son does wear a helmet for riding a bike or his skate board..... :blush:

Same here! My son plays AAA Travel Hockey and they were a HUGE hit in the Ice Hockey area a few years back. My son is proficient at it and uses them for lots of activities, with ease and grace.

However, Heeley's are getting big in the mainstream kid's market and that's where you are finding a lot of injuries. If kids are not used to sliding, rolling, etc. then these can be too much for them. However, if they are like our kids, fast and proficient ice skaters, then they are perfect for any activity (except running).

I think if you can ice skate very well, it takes a week or so to get used to them. However, if your child has no roller blading, ice hockey, ice skating training, then the child may not know how to "catch themselves" or know how to fall and possibly break something.

Even roller skates are a huge hazard (lots of breakage). It would be safe to assume that any shoe with a heel would need a learning curve, before thinking they can do anything.

My DD9 wanted a pair, but I can't see where she would be rolling in them. It's not like I'm going to let her roll in them at the store or mall or someplace like that so what's the point? Where do your kids use them?

,y dd go them for christmas
she went to the website to read how to learn and use them - and even has taught her younger cousins -

she can use them in our basement all the time -
and she occasionally wears them 'out' and walks on them like normal - until we are in an area that she can safely roll for a minute - and then walk again...
thats the best part - they do not have to roll all the time everywhere -
they can walk on them... say in the grocery store - and then wheel on them across the parking lot to the car...

I hear they have them in adult sizes now - maybe santa will bring me a pair next christmas!

DS9 has these. He's a hockey player, roller blades, skateboards, skis, snowboards and has amazing balance and control. And, he's been taught how to fall properly! Heely's came pretty easy to him ... but it took him about a week to get the "hang" of it.

He wears a helmet while playing all sports ... but when he heely's indoors (ie:mall, a store, my school's hallway after hours), he doesn't. However, as I mentioned, he is v. skilled on skates/blades/skis/boards and, yes, I do know that accidents can happen.

As someone else posted, Heely's are becoming extremely mainstream and there are a rash of kids out there who do not know how to skate, etc. who just jump right into these things. I've seen kids totally out of control w/them b/c they don't know how to skate or control their skating. In my opinion, those are the kids who are obnoxious. I've seen kids use them extremely well (ie: DS's hockey team) and aren't obnoxious w/them.

You started out good by researching them. We have heeley I think that my son wanted for his birthday. He tried a few times and now won't wear them for fear of falling. He is 9 and does not ice skate either. Maybe that is a big plus for using them. His also do not convert into the heel so if he isn't skating he has to walk on his toes. Some come with plugs too but these did not and they were not cheap either.

So some me of the kids are really good at using them. So what? It doesn't help the folks they dart around in crowded places where they have no business riding them. Most kids do not have the maturity to know when NOT to use them.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I don't want to start a war or anything, but just want to get some honest opinions from those who have experience with them.

As I said in my initial post, I'm going to steer away from Heelys because I don't get the point of rolling around on one heel. The roller shoes (sneakers with 4 rollers) seem more practical because at least you're "skating" with both shoes (correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Heelys, you can only roll on one heel at a time, right?). Anyway, I think that I will show your comments to DD and my 2 nephews so that they can see the pros and cons of both types of shoes. Since they already own bikes, inline skates, skateboards and scooters, I don't think that it is worthwhile to invest in something else with wheels that they would only use in the driveway or at a skate park.

My kids BEGGED me for them. Finally, we let them buy them with their own money. DS9 also plays rep hockey, and DD11 & DD12 have both had ice skating lessons (and have skated since they could walk...we're Canadian, eh?). They practiced in the driveway for a week with full protective gear & it took the girls longer than their brother to get really good at it (so hockey must play a part).

After the week we let them go without helmets. And for those that hate them, I also use this as a way to teach them to consider others. When we go somewhere (for instance, the library), they wheel in the parking lot, but don't inside although there are perfect aisles for it. It comes down to parenting & not letting them go crazy. Even in the parking lot I'm reminding them (okay, nagging) to stay beside the curb when there's no sidewalk, etc.

ETA: As far as wheeling only on 1 wheel: no, they definately ride both heels at the same time. The practice is in keeping the toes up on both shoes at the same time (it seems to work best when they put one foot almost right behind the other).

kichan said:
Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I don't want to start a war or anything, but just want to get some honest opinions from those who have experience with them.

As I said in my initial post, I'm going to steer away from Heelys because I don't get the point of rolling around on one heel. The roller shoes (sneakers with 4 rollers) seem more practical because at least you're "skating" with both shoes (correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Heelys, you can only roll on one heel at a time, right?). Anyway, I think that I will show your comments to DD and my 2 nephews so that they can see the pros and cons of both types of shoes. Since they already own bikes, inline skates, skateboards and scooters, I don't think that it is worthwhile to invest in something else with wheels that they would only use in the driveway or at a skate park.

I saw a LOT of kids rolling around on Heely's at WDW on our last visit. If I recall, some were gliding on both heels.

I want a pair. I believe kids can be taught when it is proper to use them. I have seen many kids with Heelys and I have never had a bad experience with any of them (including at WDW).

Anyway, as parents it is up to us to determine what is best for our children. :)

LBAK said:
DD, 10 has had them for over a year and loves them. I took her a few days to get used to them but now she glides around all over! She loves them and I don't have a problem with them for her.

What she said - word for word - but my son.

Miss Jasmine said:
I want a pair. I believe kids can be taught when it is proper to use them. I have seen many kids with Heelys and I have never had a bad experience with any of them (including at WDW).

Anyway, as parents it is up to us to determine what is best for our children. :)

Lucky for you, not so lucky for me. The only injury I ever got at WDW was caused by a kid with heel wheels.

Respect for others be damned, give what your kids what you think is best.

DS10 has heelys. He rarely rolls around on them. They are just another play shoe for the back yard.

Boo'sMom said:
If God wanted you to roll from place to place, he'd have given you wheels instead of feet.
I find them obnoxious!

That is just so silly. Do you you feel the same about bikes? skateboards? I know, how about cars? Really the stupidest think I have read in a long while.
Do you ride in airplanes ot do you walk? :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter