Heard some FP kiosks were uncovered in MK today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, July 1 has come and nearly gone, and no announcement about fastpasses. Yet we did learn from the fact that suddenly availability at Ogas’s is wide open that there has been yet another significant capacity increase. I suppose a fastpass announcement could come tomorrow, as many of the big ones have come on Fridays lately. But I’m not holding my breath.

I’m honestly getting pretty angry. Disney is opening the parks wide open, and doing nothing to help us manage the lines — which are probably going to be downright brutal starting July 4. I will feel like such a sucker paying thousands of dollars to stand in endless lines in the hot Florida sun all day.

I’ve loved our past Disney trips. And I will surely make the most of this one as well. But I really wish that Disney would meet us half way. Increasing park capacity without giving us any kind of fastpasses (with many shows and crowd eaters still closed) is a recipe for disaster. It seems like Disney is just exploiting our pent up desire for revenge travel. But if the lines are horrible all summer, many of us may resent having returned. And Disney may resent having taken us for granted.

I’m honestly getting pretty angry. Disney is opening the parks wide open, and doing nothing to help us manage the lines — which are probably going to be downright brutal starting July 4. I will feel like such a sucker paying thousands of dollars to stand in endless lines in the hot Florida sun all day.

I’ve loved our past Disney trips. And I will surely make the most of this one as well. But I really wish that Disney would meet us half way. Increasing park capacity without giving us any kind of fastpasses (with many shows and crowd eaters still closed) is a recipe for disaster. It seems like Disney is just exploiting our pent up desire for revenge travel. But if the lines are horrible all summer, many of us may resent having returned. And Disney may resent having taken us for granted.
Well said here👆

I have no inside knowledge. I have no reason to think there may still be some relief from the increasing capacity and wait times. Yet I hold out hope. I have already severely cut back on my WDW spending for our upcoming July trip, based on what the perks/price/capacity were in March when we booked our trip.

Our previous trip was 8D PH tix, AKL stay, during the very last part of Feb 2020. When we were there, the virus news was just starting to ramp up to everyday coverage and most all of us weren't even contemplating any sort of serious life disruptions in the USA. This was the first trip we were able to stay at a deluxe (and we found a very competitive rate to be able to do so). We had a great time. We knew the parks, we were staying at our first deluxe (7 previous trips all MODs), we knew the FP+ system, and we knew RD strategy. We knew where we liked the food, and had all the key reservations. Disney World was home! We returned home to the north exactly 2 weeks before WDW closure and emergency shut downs started nationwide.

Watching the shut-down and the reopening evolve over time, seeing the price-hikes in D tickets coupledwith cutting of any real onsite perks, (we are car renters, so MDE is irrelevant here), we decided to actually look around a little this year. WDW tickets had taken a significant price-hike, and honestly, after 8 trips in the last 12 years, we didn't need the full 8 days for that price. At the time, Mods were available at a decent rate, but we still looked seriously at the darkside parks for the first time.

We decided to try USO this year. We bought 1 Preferred AP and 2 4D/2P/ P2P tickets (total w/ tax about 1200.00), and we got a great AP rate at a deluxe USO resort for 3 nights - at less than $1,000 total. We figured that would be enough of USO, even though we have never been, and found a great rate at Hilton Bonnet Creek for 5 nights following USO. We were still reluctant about D-tix based on offerings, lack of FP+, no shows, limited dining, etc. So we decided we could just hit D-Springs, maybe take a day at the beach, etc.

Well later, I did break down and get 3 2D single park D-Tix (for well over $800) just because I'm an addict. I also was reading all the 35% reports, and seeing that lines averaging less than 40 minutes moved fast, etc. As capacity increases have continued periodically since booking (at least 3 times since booking our trip), wait times have increased and I have begun to regret the D-tix purchase.

We are a comfortable (but still budgeting) middle-class small family of 3, and Disney is pricing themselves out our available budget lately while taking what made us love WDW away slowly over time. Honestly, if some relief doesn't come for what looks like a mid-summer suffer for this veteran family, we really are prepared to retire from Orlando Theme parks all together - but if we ever get the itch bad enough, we have an affordable option w/ USO AP sitting right there, for less than a 3 day PH tix to WDW. I just can't justify the price anymore without the perks.

Last edited:

There's where the real and justified complaint is and not just because I happen to have a maybe we're going to go trip planned. It's inexcusable at this point not to do something to relieve the long waits in line. If they're going to continue to amp up capacity and not going to open up shows and parades to draw people, they need to open up FP+. It's not going to add any significant time to stand by, it never did. To wait until the end of summer when crowds are naturally slowing down is ludicrous and they have no reason not to do it. FP+ has apparently passed all the testing phases and could be released any time they choose.

I don't give 2 cents for what they might do in the future regarding FP+- paid, free limited by where you stay- don't care. Open up FP+ to everyone and do it now.

There's where the real and justified complaint is and not just because I happen to have a maybe we're going to go trip planned. It's inexcusable at this point not to do something to relieve the long waits in line. If they're going to continue to amp up capacity and not going to open up shows and parades to draw people, they need to open up FP+. It's not going to add any significant time to stand by, it never did. To wait until the end of summer when crowds are naturally slowing down is ludicrous and they have no reason not to do it. FP+ has apparently passed all the testing phases and could be released any time they choose.

I don't give 2 cents for what they might do in the future regarding FP+- paid, free limited by where you stay- don't care. Open up FP+ to everyone and do it now.

YES!

Well, July 1 has come and nearly gone, and no announcement about fastpasses. Yet we did learn from the fact that suddenly availability at Ogas’s is wide open that there has been yet another significant capacity increase. I suppose a fastpass announcement could come tomorrow, as many of the big ones have come on Fridays lately. But I’m not holding my breath.

As I am packing for trip which begins on Saturday, this is exactly how I feel. I think the real "gut punch" was when they reinstated the rope drop procedures at the park without implementing the early entry for resort guests. I find myself now staying at a deluxe resort with no real on site benefits. At least a few weeks ago, it seemed like those coming in on Disney transportation had at least a head start on the day, getting there before the masses and the masses were allowed to trickle in as they arrived. Now we are back to participating in the "running of the bulls" where everyone is lumped into one big group. I thought for sure the return of rope drop meant that early entry for resort guests was quick to follow. As it appears now there is a three month gap where onsite and off--site are going to be treated exactly the same.

I probably wouldn't be so frustrated if this wasn't also a third attempt at a COVID cancelled trip (Spring Break 2020). Honestly, it is fear of the worst that is bothering me, but I'm hoping for the best. Just can't shake that Sunday at the MK may very well look like NYE without a lot of the pressure relief of parades or FP+. I'm also preparing for a long day, as I am hesitant to take the mid-day break back to the hotel that I would normally take, for fear of not getting back in the park once all the hoppers arrive, despite having a park pass. I wonder if they will suspend hopping to the MK and Epcot at any point on Sunday?

My DS and niece were in WDW in August 2019 and just couldn’t catch a break to get on FOP (2-3 hr wait all day). We tried one last time and as we crossed over the bridge to evaluate the line, a woman handed us a paper ticket for 3 people to get on FOP!! I was in shock, and ever so grateful….my son said it was karma, so we made sure to continue paying it forward as best we could!

I had a very similar experience. I walked into the park on my honeymoon with my then-DW and as we entered Epcot, we came face to face with a family that were offering us Soarin' FP (and this was my favorite ride). Even better - I KNEW THE PEOPLE! I had no idea (nor did they) they'd be there - I had known them, like, 10 years before when I lived in Northern VA. It was surreal.

It really IS a small world, after all...

For what it’s worth, I’ve sent an email daily expressing my frustration with the lack of diversions* and FP in the parks. I understand I booked without them in place, but I also did so being told I wouldn’t need them with reduced capacity. Well, since my booking, capacity has continually increased without any added benefits in the park. I think there will be many people dropping from heat exhaustion while waiting 70 minutes for 7DMT and other headliners. Again, I know it was my choice to go, but IMO Disney really should do something to shorten the standby lines.
* Fireworks added for diversion since my booking

FYI for those pointing at Ogas availability as evidence of increased park capacity... that makes zero sense, capacity within Ogas was increased... independent of park capacity.

For what it’s worth, I’ve sent an email daily expressing my frustration with the lack of diversions* and FP in the parks. I understand I booked without them in place, but I also did so being told I wouldn’t need them with reduced capacity. Well, since my booking, capacity has continually increased without any added benefits in the park. I think there will be many people dropping from heat exhaustion while waiting 70 minutes for 7DMT and other headliners. Again, I know it was my choice to go, but IMO Disney really should do something to shorten the standby lines.
* Fireworks added for diversion since my booking

I have been doing the same thing. Email, chat, and calls. Not that it is going to do a bit of good. It just makes me feel better to vent frustrations (I am never hateful or rude with the CM.) and relieve stress. :)

FYI for those pointing at Ogas availability as evidence of increased park capacity... that makes zero sense, capacity within Ogas was increased... independent of park capacity.

Park capacity was increased, multiple times, independent of anything happening with Oga's.

It's not a function of increased park capacity. More likely a function of increased restaurant capacity. Either long awaited increased staffing, or lifting of distancing like they have been doing all over the resort lately.

Last edited:
I long ago got priced out of the Disney Resorts. Unless we get quite a deal we don't stay there. We stay at the Universal Hotels more bang for the buck. The thing that is wining for the Deluxe is Location, Location, Location.

As for the parks, I am still displeased that they got rid of so much of the entertainment, this added so much to the park. Now it's just ride, eat, and shop.

As for the FP, I have long thought they would go to a system where you would have to pay for it. Either by staying at their resorts or paying for it at the park ala Universal

Last edited:

We were planning a trip in early September hoping that FP would come back by then. At this point I think we're just going to hold off until next summer. We've been going every summer for the last 12 years, with the exception of last year because of covid. We always stay CL. But now with no CL, FP, EMH, Magical Express luggage delivery, airport check-in, package delivery to room, housekeeping. I feel like September wouldn't be worth it. I know some of this is due to a lack of staff but I feel like if I go before October I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. When I see the announcement that starting October 1st Disney will bring back new fireworks shows, extended park hours, and so many other things it just makes me angry because I think they're just holding out to make the 50th celebration so much more special.

I have been doing the same thing. Email, chat, and calls. Not that it is going to do a bit of good. It just makes me feel better to vent frustrations (I am never hateful or rude with the CM.) and relieve stress. :)

Park capacity was increased, multiple times, independent of anything happening with Oga's.
of course it was and continues to be, just not sure why so many are pointing at Oga's as evidence. Any increased capacity within restaurants is a good thing in my book.

True enough that restaurant capacity doesn’t equal park capacity.

Still, greatly increasing capacity at restaurants—especially tight spaces like Oga’s—tells me that they are no longer practicing social distancing. (So does the return of rope drop.)

Yet the reason why fastpasses were halted in the first place was the need to maintain social distancing. That reason no longer stands up.

I’m inclined to wonder whether, as others have suggested, Disney might be holding off on bringing things back until October in order to make the 50th celebration seem more special. But that is just sacrificing the summer guest experience to make up for an otherwise lackluster pace of progress on new rides, restaurants, and shows (due, of course, to Covid). If that’s what’s going on, it’s unacceptable.

I don’t think there’s any question that Disney has massively increased park capacity for the summer. Just look at all of the times that the park reservation calendar has gone from sold out to wide open. Doing that without bringing back fastpasses really, really bothers me.

I have no inside knowledge. I have no reason to think there may still be some relief from the increasing capacity and wait times. Yet I hold out hope. I have already severely cut back on my WDW spending for our upcoming July trip, based on what the perks/price/capacity were in March when we booked our trip.

Our previous trip was 8D PH tix, AKL stay, during the very last part of Feb 2020. When we were there, the virus news was just starting to ramp up to everyday coverage and most all of us weren't even contemplating any sort of serious life disruptions in the USA. This was the first trip we were able to stay at a deluxe (and we found a very competitive rate to be able to do so). We had a great time. We knew the parks, we were staying at our first deluxe (7 previous trips all MODs), we knew the FP+ system, and we knew RD strategy. We knew where we liked the food, and had all the key reservations. Disney World was home! We returned home to the north exactly 2 weeks before WDW closure and emergency shut downs started nationwide.

Watching the shut-down and the reopening evolve over time, seeing the price-hikes in D tickets coupledwith cutting of any real onsite perks, (we are car renters, so MDE is irrelevant here), we decided to actually look around a little this year. WDW tickets had taken a significant price-hike, and honestly, after 8 trips in the last 12 years, we didn't need the full 8 days for that price. At the time, Mods were available at a decent rate, but we still looked seriously at the darkside parks for the first time.

We decided to try USO this year. We bought 1 Preferred AP and 2 4D/2P/ P2P tickets (total w/ tax about 1200.00), and we got a great AP rate at a deluxe USO resort for 3 nights - at less than $1,000 total. We figured that would be enough of USO, even though we have never been, and found a great rate at Hilton Bonnet Creek for 5 nights following USO. We were still reluctant about D-tix based on offerings, lack of FP+, no shows, limited dining, etc. So we decided we could just hit D-Springs, maybe take a day at the beach, etc.

Well later, I did break down and get 3 2D single park D-Tix (for well over $800) just because I'm an addict. I also was reading all the 35% reports, and seeing that lines averaging less than 40 minutes moved fast, etc. As capacity increases have continued periodically since booking (at least 3 times since booking our trip), wait times have increased and I have begun to regret the D-tix purchase.

We are a comfortable (but still budgeting) middle-class small family of 3, and Disney is pricing themselves out our available budget lately while taking what made us love WDW away slowly over time. Honestly, if some relief doesn't come for what looks like a mid-summer suffer for this veteran family, we really are prepared to retire from Orlando Theme parks all together - but if we ever get the itch bad enough, we have an affordable option w/ USO AP sitting right there, for less than a 3 day PH tix to WDW. I just can't justify the price anymore without the perks.
I appreciate the insights into your situation and your well written post.

We booked a while back without knowing what things would look like later this month. We had pent up vacation money and seriously felt the urge to get back to having our family vacations.

There are some things that I am incredibly thankful for. No masks (our entire family is fully vax’d), Plexiglass is down, rides are at full capacity, social distancing is gone, availability to freely shop in the stores is back. So for that we are thankful. I did not expect any of that to be open yet.

However our main source of fun at Disney are the attractions. We are attraction people. The thought of waiting in long lines in the middle of summer is a real downer. This is especially true like you mentioned, when you consider the fact of how much more expensive a Disney trip is now than it used to be 5 to 10 years ago. WAY outpacing inflation. We have gone for 10 nights last few trips, and that gives us the ability to finally unwind and really start enjoying the magic. I would hate to have to cut short the number of nights because of money grabs from Disney. First world problems, I know but the real kicker is that we are paying a lot more for far less right now.

Please bring fastpass plus back ASAP Disney!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter