HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know.....snow is one thing, but ice is another :eek:.

Oh yes, how nice that would be :cloud9:.....I'll meet you there ;) :laughing:

We have never taken DME as I can't bring myself to get on a bus and wait to get to my resort. We usually take a car service, but when I can get a rental car for the same price or cheaper, we do that. I just love getting off the plane, getting our luggage (which usually never takes too long), getting in the car and being at our resort within about 30 minutes :goodvibes. Everyone tells me how convenient and fun DME is, but that's just one thing I can't bring myself to try :rotfl::rotfl:.

:thumbsup2 Drinks at Mizner's it is.:teeth:

We mix it up. Car service, DME, rental car, our own car - it all depends on how we get there and our budget. DME is my least favorite, we don't have great luck.

Sorry, meant DME? Rookie mistake......

Nah - no worries, with all the new MDE, FPP, MMP...tough to get the acronyms right.:laughing:

We all know what you meant! :goodvibes

Actually, when we stayed at WL, we were the last drop offs. The CR, POLY, and GF were all ahead of us (though I don't remember the exact order)....

Really?! So weird, as the path to make WL last would backtrack by a lot. That driver must have forgotten he had WL pax.;):rotfl:

We've only used DME a few times, but each time the GF was last. Maybe the time of day makes a difference.

We mix it up. Car service, DME, rental car, our own car - it all depends on how we get there and our budget. DME is my least favorite, we don't have great luck.

Nah - no worries, with all the new MDE, FPP, MMP...tough to get the acronyms right.:laughing:

Really?! So weird, as the path to make WL last would backtrack by a lot. That driver must have forgotten he had WL pax.;):rotfl:

We've only used DME a few times, but each time the GF was last. Maybe the time of day makes a difference.

We could very well have been forgotten, we were the only ones getting off there! :rotfl2:

See you there :goodvibes.

I'm too scared to give DME a try because I don't like the possibility of waiting for the bus to fill up before leaving and/or having other stops on the way. I want to get off the plane and to my resort (with my luggage ;)) as quickly as I can :rotfl2:.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!

I wish my husband and I were at the Grand right now.
There is to much snow here and more coming.

I hope everyone has a pleasant evening!

:love: Hope that you had a nice Valentine's Day Candy...Wish we were sitting there too...:goodvibes More snow!!!!!!!!!! What a winter!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Thanks for all the great suggestions on must dos! Is this the right place to ask about MDE? Where does the GF fall in the order of resort drop-offs?

In all of the times we have taken DME GF has been the very last stop...:faint:

:drinking: Drinks at Mizners sounds fun...count me in!! ::yes:: We have used DME at different times of the day and evening..and always been the last stop...I think you are right and MM might have lucked out and gotten an absent minded driver...LOL... wouldnt mind that happening to us once in a while!

Ooh, great tip!!:goodvibes

Good question - are they not? I haven't even looked, though I did mention the Disney surplus site to DD. I so wish I had bought one of the Mickey lamps while they were still for sale in the gift shop. Phooey.

Thank you! :goodvibes Which Disney surplus site is that??? ...No :earsboy: lamp here either..and I too wish that we had one...and the display plate...no idea why I didnt buy that when I first saw it???

I have never used IPO, but just wanted to tell you that if for some reason they can't get you BOG, try not to fret! I couldn't get it for our last night this trip when I called 180+ days out, but I called the dining line and the CM told me they only release a portion of the available ressies at first. She could 'see' on her computer that there were more that would open up and told me to check back in about two weeks. Sure enough, two weeks later they opened more times up and we got exactly what we wanted! Good Luck!!!

bama belle We have been able to score a BOG ressie after the 180 days also...If you let IPO know..they do keep on checking..and we have gotten ressies that way...and recently just by randomly checking disney dining...:thumbsup2

JoBird Thanks for that detailed info!::yes:: I knew there would be someone here in the know about that! :thumbsup2

MickeyNut Forgot to say..great talking to you the other day!! :goodvibes I think that we could talk Disney for hours!! :blush: and always be on the same page! Except for DME..I love it!! Don't even mind being separated from my luggage...LOL.. (but we do pack a carry on if we are traveling across seasons so we will have lighter weight clothes to wear on arrival...) I think that its all part of the Disney experience! I see that you and k&a&c'smom are wishing a little :drinking1 meet up at Mizners...hope you dont mind if I tag along! :wizard:

~ So who is the next lucky fan that will be at the GF ?? :confused3

I saw no new merchandise while we were there..no Vera's..nothing! Wondering if they will be adding new things in time for spring break.....??

Hope that you all are having a super Saturday! princess:

There is a lot of spa and health club info on the first page, first post.:thumbsup2

We have had treatments at the GF spa, as well as other WDW resort spas, but it was when they were still Niki Bryan. The change to Senses is relatively new, we haven't tried it yet.

As far as facilities go, the old GF spa was good - so I assume the newly refurbed spa is even better.:goodvibes

Thanks! Looked everywhere but the front page :confused3. It answered my questions :thumbsup2.

JoBird Thank you so much for your detailed response. Got most of my questions answered. Looking forward to some relaxation :cloud9:.

Just wanted to add that I booked our BOG ADR online via MDE at 180 days out.

I went for 6:10pm and when I checked back a day later to see if there were any earlier times, there was only 8:40pm onwards, so they went quickly.

I had no troubles getting dinner on the day I wanted though.

MickeyNut Forgot to say..great talking to you the other day!! :goodvibes I think that we could talk Disney for hours!! :blush: and always be on the same page! Except for DME..I love it!! Don't even mind being separated from my luggage...LOL.. (but we do pack a carry on if we are traveling across seasons so we will have lighter weight clothes to wear on arrival...) I think that its all part of the Disney experience! I see that you and k&a&c'smom are wishing a little :drinking1 meet up at Mizners...hope you dont mind if I tag along! :wizard:

I agree.....talking Disney never gets old and we are always on the same page ::yes::. LOL on DME.....ya, that's not for me :laughing:......we never take a carry on anymore, so I'd have nothing for extra clothes to have at our resort while waiting for our luggage. Of course if the airline ever lost our luggage, I'd be in trouble :faint:......but then that would just give me an excuse to do more shopping at Disney :rotfl2:.

We'll see you at Mizners......the more the merrier :goodvibes.

Just wanted to add that I booked our BOG ADR online via MDE at 180 days out.

I went for 6:10pm and when I checked back a day later to see if there were any earlier times, there was only 8:40pm onwards, so they went quickly.

I had no troubles getting dinner on the day I wanted though.

Congrats on getting BOG :thumbsup2.

The only hard to get one I need is Be Our Guest. We ate there in April and when I made the ADR's for that one on our 180, I could only get it for our 10th night, so that's what I requested it for on this trip. The IPO CM stated that she knows it fills up fast but since I want it on the 10th night, they should be able to get it. :goodvibes

We shall see.....

You should be fine Mousemommy...BOG was one of the ADR's we made and we were able to get a 7p ressie 4 days into our stay :)

You should be fine Mousemommy...BOG was one of the ADR's we made and we were able to get a 7p ressie 4 days into our stay :)

Nice! :thumbsup2

We'll see what happens! I kind of feel like whatever happens happens. We were lucky enough to eat there in April and would love to again, but if we can't, we can always try lunch! (Or at least that's how I've spun it to the kiddos) :rotfl:

We could very well have been forgotten, we were the only ones getting off there! :rotfl2:

:laughing:

See you there :goodvibes.

I'm too scared to give DME a try because I don't like the possibility of waiting for the bus to fill up before leaving and/or having other stops on the way. I want to get off the plane and to my resort (with my luggage ) as quickly as I can.

Ugh, I know what you mean and your fears are well founded! We have had the worst luck with DME, and every time we had the scenario you describe - waiting for bus to fill, being last on the route, etc. One trip, our plane landed at 10:45 pm and we didn't get to the Grand until 1:30 a.m.:scared1: (this was the time our driver agreed to take POR/POFQ which made it 5 stops)

I know a lot of people love it and have great experiences, but we have the worst luck.

In all of the times we have taken DME GF has been the very last stop...

Drinks at Mizners sounds fun...count me in!! We have used DME at different times of the day and evening..and always been the last stop...I think you are right and MM might have lucked out and gotten an absent minded driver...LOL... wouldnt mind that happening to us once in a while!

Thank you! :goodvibes Which Disney surplus site is that??? ...No :earsboy: lamp here either..and I too wish that we had one...and the display plate...no idea why I didnt buy that when I first saw it???

~ So who is the next lucky fan that will be at the GF ??

I saw no new merchandise while we were there..no Vera's..nothing! Wondering if they will be adding new things in time for spring break.....??

Hope that you all are having a super Saturday! princess:

:wave2: You are more than welcome to join in our drinks at Mizner's, it's a party.party:

LOL about wishing they'd mess up the DME route. No kidding, we are over being the last on the bus.;)

Ummm...I think the Disney surplus is on eBay, sorry for the confusion. I vaguely remembered it from 2007, but didn't recall it was eBay. Just looked it up.:teeth:

I'm with you - why didn't we get those items we loved while we could?! Did you get any of the pillows? I didn't and I keep kicking myself.

Thanks! Looked everywhere but the front page :confused3. It answered my questions :thumbsup2.

:laughing: It happens. Glad you found the info you needed.

I agree.....talking Disney never gets old and we are always on the same page. LOL on DME.....ya, that's not for me :laughing:......we never take a carry on anymore, so I'd have nothing for extra clothes to have at our resort while waiting for our luggage. Of course if the airline ever lost our luggage, I'd be in trouble :faint:......but then that would just give me an excuse to do more shopping at Disney :rotfl2:.

We'll see you at Mizners......the more the merrier :goodvibes.

Kudos on being able to ditch the carry on. I try, but invariably I end up with my laptop bag or something. Or two somethings.~sigh~ Feel like a pack horse on vacation.;)

Great info, thanks!:thumbsup2 I'm glad to know so many people are able to snag BOG if they keep trying.

New Room Photos, thanks, DisneyDreamingInMI!! (these are higher res)

IMG_0609_zps3f5535d0.jpg

Close up of headboard
IMG_0621_zpscf89dc91.jpg

Night Stand
IMG_0611_zps104b47b0.jpg

Wallpaper behind beds
IMG_0627_zps8cbbfe91.jpg

Bed
IMG_0610_zpsab2d2484.jpg

Bedroom art
IMG_0613_zpsbbf84e00.jpg

TV & Armoire
IMG_0614_zps8622010d.jpg

Close up of carpet
IMG_0612_zps6e33f918.jpg

Daybed
IMG_0615_zpsddb2e71e.jpg

Daybed pillow
IMG_0620_zps2cd00c1d.jpg

Mirrored sconce
IMG_0616_zpsd46d8bb6.jpg

Desk and chair
IMG_0618_zpsa5035fb5.jpg

Drapes
IMG_0617_zps1cb42d16.jpg

Sheers
IMG_0619_zps9b60fb30.jpg

Dressing area
IMG_0622_zpsd54c7b81.jpg

Dressing area mirror
IMG_0649_zpsb8103f2a.jpg

Dressing area sconce
IMG_0650_zpsc155994b.jpg

Dressing area art
IMG_0623_zps66d600e6.jpg

Dressing area art close up
IMG_0624_zpsbfafc039.jpg

Shower
IMG_0626_zps40aa4be6.jpg

Shower curtain close up
IMG_0629_zpsce729912.jpg

Dressing area/bath wallpaper, close up
IMG_0625_zpsaf0eee32.jpg

Entry hall light fixture
IMG_0652_zps7c91320b.jpg

Entry hall fixture, close up
IMG_0651_zps5e9193dc.jpg

Entry hall and dressing area flooring
IMG_0653_zpsf37357d0.jpg

Thanks for sharing those photos, DisneyDreamingInMI!! Between the two of us, we finally got them posted.;)

Ugh, I know what you mean and your fears are well founded! We have had the worst luck with DME, and every time we had the scenario you describe - waiting for bus to fill, being last on the route, etc. One trip, our plane landed at 10:45 pm and we didn't get to the Grand until 1:30 a.m.:scared1: (this was the time our driver agreed to take POR/POFQ which made it 5 stops)

I know a lot of people love it and have great experiences, but we have the worst luck.

Kudos on being able to ditch the carry on. I try, but invariably I end up with my laptop bag or something. Or two somethings.~sigh~ Feel like a pack horse on vacation ;)

That doesn't sound like a good experience, especially that late at night :sad2:. I'm glad the service is offered and that it works for others, but it just wouldn't work for us as we like to be on our own schedule. One thing I really wouldn't like is being picked up 3-3 1/2 hours before my return flight home.

Yeah, it is nice not to have a lot of extra stuff to carry on the plane ;).

New Room Photos, thanks, DisneyDreamingInMI!!

Thanks for posting the pics :goodvibes.

DisneyDreamingInMI ~ Thanks for taking the pics.....love the views/angles you got :).

Thanks for the new room photos. :thumbsup2 Still upset at the dumbing down of the Disney theme but it's easier now to see the new decor..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!