HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
HUGE shout out to the GF IPO!!!!! As you know, I was worried about handing over my reservations to them as I am too much of a control freak. ADR day is today and woke up to find I got all of my reservations, including 'Ohana and Be Our guest and opening at crystal Palace...all for the exact times I asked for!!!! :cool1:

GF IPO rocks!!!! :dance3:

Yay!! :cool1: Now, you can turn your attention to more planning!

I know this will sound odd but I am so glad that the bath/shower area did not get a big change as I was so afraid of losing the heat lamp ! I love those and they really are not found anywhere anymore.

As for the sink area, I really wanted functional storage or at least a shelf below ? It seems that functional items other than outlets were not high on the list for the refurb.

I agree with k&a&c'smom.....not odd at all ;).

I always have weird dreams the night before a trip - I'm nearly to the airport and have forgotten our luggage/tix/one of the members of our party!:rotfl2: The rest of the dream involves me struggling to regain that lost element and never reaching WDW! lol

It will be interesting to see how they wear, I can't imagine it will hold up but maybe it will be just the thing.:confused:

I've never had any dreams about leaving something or someone behind, but my mind always starts to wander and I keep thinking I will forget something, which makes me not able to fall asleep :rolleyes1. Then I go into panic mode and have to get up and make sure I do have everything and nothing got left out :rotfl::rotfl:.

I agree....it will be interesting to see how the wood flooring holds up after daily usage.

The old picture was beautiful and fanciful and properly sized for the wall. The new picture makes me sad. :sad2:

I feel the same way :(.

HUGE shout out to the GF IPO!!!!! As you know, I was worried about handing over my reservations to them as I am too much of a control freak. ADR day is today and woke up to find I got all of my reservations, including 'Ohana and Be Our guest and opening at crystal Palace...all for the exact times I asked for!!!! :cool1:

Wow! Our ADR date isn't until April. I am now thinking that maybe I don't have to take the day off. How many days/reservation did they book for you?

Thanks for the info!

Wow! Our ADR date isn't until April. I am now thinking that maybe I don't have to take the day off. How many days/reservation did they book for you?

Thanks for the info!

In total, they did 7 reservations for me (over the course of our 11 day trip)!! We also want the Neverland Club for the kids on our date night, but since it is down for rennovations right now, they have to hold off on booking that until April. Other than that, I am very pleased with my results. I may now be an IPO believer! :laughing:

I think the wood flooring might be of the synthetic type. It appears so. I'm assuming they installed the wood at the entrance because that is where the dirt and wear-and-tear happen most in the room. If it is man-made, then the wet towels and/or wet bathing suits will probably not be an issue.

I like the wood flooring but I like the carpet, too. I'm happy either way. I think it might be a good call on their part, but time will tell how the "wood" will hold up.

I think the wood flooring might be of the synthetic type. It appears so. I'm assuming they installed the wood at the entrance because that is where the dirt and wear-and-tear happen most in the room. If it is man-made, then the wet towels and/or wet bathing suits will probably not be an issue.

I like the wood flooring but I like the carpet, too. I'm happy either way. I think it might be a good call on their part, but time will tell how the "wood" will hold up.

We have laminate (engineered) wood flooring in our house that no one believes is not "real" wood. The GF flooring looks exactly the same. I am sure that the flooring is durable, the Imagineers would have thought of that. Believe me, between my kids and cats, etc....those floors can take a beating! :thumbsup2

:lmao: I have to share my night before leaving for WDW dream...I forgot to bring my husband...whoops:rotfl:

Friends (who like me do not like the new décor) here is my idea...set up cots in RPC, not the level of the offerings...just by the stairwells a bit. We can have a HUGE slumber party, shower by the pool. All the ambience of the Grand without seeing "red". Just an idea :grouphug: OK back to my homework (BTW I still am booked at YC......)

Exactly what I've been thinking. The old picture was beautiful and fanciful and properly sized for the wall. The new picture makes me sad. :sad2: I was really hoping to love the art, but not so much. I know from seeing both older and more recent pictures that the art with the books and toys was quite faded, so perhaps they were all felt to be in need of replacement?

The bathroom needs some color now - the wallpaper used to give some nice gentle color. Now it is an onslaught of beige!

Sending best thoughts to all of you who are having too much winter!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that - those pictures have been in the rooms since before the 2007 renovations. (see photo) I don't know why they didn't get pictures that are a more appropriate size.

I agree about the bath, beige, beige everywhere and nary a drop to drink.;)

Thanks about winter, I was reading your trip reports and I assume from your location you have had more winter than usual, too. (DH has a friend in Portland who got snow and we were surprised to hear that's unusual for them!):grouphug:

DSCN2495.jpg

:thumbsup2 Glad you got everything you wanted!

I've never had any dreams about leaving something or someone behind, but my mind always starts to wander and I keep thinking I will forget something, which makes me not able to fall asleep :rolleyes1. Then I go into panic mode and have to get up and make sure I do have everything and nothing got left out :rotfl::rotfl:.

I agree....it will be interesting to see how the wood flooring holds up after daily usage.

Oh, man - I know what you mean. I have a tough time getting to sleep for popping up to add one more thing to the suitcase!:faint:

Have you stayed at WL since the wood floors were added there? I wonder how they are holding up, that would probably be an indicator.:scratchin

I agree, laminate will hold up fine for water in most cases. However, we have laminate in the kitchen of a rental, and it hasn't held up well at all - but not due to the water issue, more wear and tear of renters.

My mom's apt. complex replaced their carpeted floors with wood-look laminate that almost immediately de-laminated and carpet had to be put back down. Seems they hadn't counted on the abuse the floor would receive from wheel chairs, which is my thought with the number of ECVs at WDW.

The wood floors are not my favorite and after seeing it at WL and in the villas I expected it but hoped they would not do it. However, were that the only thing in the new rooms that I didn't care for, it wouldn't be a big deal for me. It may sound like I'm just bashing things I don't like, lol, but I'm truly curious how well they will stand up to years of wear.:flower3:

We have laminate (engineered) wood flooring in our house that no one believes is not "real" wood. The GF flooring looks exactly the same. I am sure that the flooring is durable, the Imagineers would have thought of that. Believe me, between my kids and cats, etc....those floors can take a beating! :thumbsup2

::yes:: Kids and pets can sure put the floors through a lot, can't they? My thinking is this, though - in our own homes, we try our best to maintain a nice floor we will have to pay to repair or replace. When people are in rooms that don't belong to them they tend to be rougher or more careless, and there will be hundreds of people using these rooms in a given year.

If the Imagineers designed these rooms, I would agree - but I would be very surprised if they did.:scratchin They design any new resort buildings and themes, but I don't think they are returning to design the resort room interiors when they need a refurb. The paperwork filed for the renovations had the name of a design firm attached, if I recall.

The rumor was that Michael Eisner's wife did a lot of the design of the rooms prior to 2007, which I loved!:cloud9: Too bad she wasn't invited to do these.:teeth:

:lmao: I have to share my night before leaving for WDW dream...I forgot to bring my husband...whoops:rotfl:

Friends (who like me do not like the new décor) here is my idea...set up cots in RPC, not the level of the offerings...just by the stairwells a bit. We can have a HUGE slumber party, shower by the pool. All the ambience of the Grand without seeing "red". Just an idea :grouphug: OK back to my homework (BTW I still am booked at YC......)

LOL about the DH, I have had that same dream. Or a kid. Always get nearly to the airport before I remember them!:rotfl:

LOVE your slumber party idea.party: If we could sleep in the lounge, or near it, that would be awesome, like sleeping under the Christmas tree.:laughing:

:woohoo: Yay!! That is awesome!! :banana:

Sounds good to me!!! :rotfl::cool1::rotfl2::lmao:

Thank you for the thorough review :). Sounds like you had an amazing trip. The GF ranks near the top of our list, too. It's just a gorgeous resort and it's nice just walking the grounds taking in the beautiful surroundings. It's also nice sitting in the lobby watching the hustle and bustle of people coming and going. Congrats on getting your requests met. I think all of the outer buildings are in great locations, but Boca Chica is one of the best, IMO. Thanks again for your review and I'm glad you had a great trip and enjoyed the Grand, now it's time to start planning the next one :goodvibes.

Thank you and I am so glad that you enjoyed the review! I could not agree more about the beauty of the resort grounds and convenience of Boca Chica. My mom is already talking about booking our stay for next year. ;) I've told her that I'm not ready to decide where I would want to stay next year yet, although I do know that the new GF room decor has made it a lot easier to try out a different resort this time around... :scared: Guess we'll just have to return after the next room refurbs come around!

mariamouse,

I had fun reading your trip report. We were at the villas the same week you were there. We spent a lot of time in the Grand foyer listing to the piano player.

Our flight was also canceled and we were in the foyer on our last day when a singer came out to sing with the piano player. She was fabulous!

Candy

It's always fun to experience a resort at the same time as another DISer and swap stories, isn't it? I'm glad that you had a nice stay and am jealous that we missed out on that special musical performance! My dad is a professional musician and my sisters and I are all singers, so I'm sure we would have enjoyed it. It was still nice, though, to just relax and listen to the pianist and orchestra since they really are so talented! Are you already planning your next Disney stay?!

Mariamouse... Enjoyed your trip report and hope you were successful in finding some Alex & Ani bracelets! We all had a "snow day" today and spent some time trying to finalize our dining options (get to make our ADR's next week :)). I was glad to see you enjoyed Il Mulino...that's one of the new places we keep going back and forth on.

Unfortunately, we were not able to find the special A&A bracelet that my cousin wanted (even at the DHS store), but we weren't really expecting to find it anyway based on the reports I received from other DISers. I'm sure my cousin will be able to find it eventually! Thank you again for your help with our search. And yes-- Il Mulino was great and a really chill atmosphere. We would definitely return! :thumbsup2

Mariamouse, I really enjoyed your detailed TR!! :thumbsup2

Thank you! I enjoyed writing it and reliving our GF experiences. :goodvibes

mariamouse - thanks so much for your review!:cheer2: I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip, felt like we were there with you. I'm looking forward to your photos.

Your dinner at Narcoossee's sounds wonderful, along with all your other dining choices. Don't you just love GFC for breakfast?!~sigh~ DD and I nearly always eat there more than once during a trip.

Feels odd to say - how lucky your flight was canceled.;):thumbsup2

It has been a while but we've eaten at Il Mulino twice and enjoyed it.:thumbsup2

Of course, k&a&c'smom! Thank YOU for all of your help planning our stay! Sorry for the delay in posting photos-- life has gotten in the way (per usual), but I plan on posting them today!

We were most definitely lucky to be able to stay an extra night and were also very lucky with our dining experiences! We will likely return to Narcoossee's, GF Cafe and Il Mulino on future trips... all fantastic dining experiences! Thankfully, there is an Il Mulino near me in NYC, so I can just pop over there if I want to get my fix-- but it's still not the same as dining in the Swan, of course! ;)

On a separate note, I am so sorry to read about the difficult time your son has been going through lately (somehow missed your old post) and am hoping that things only continue to look up for him and your family. Truly wishing you all strength and sending warm thoughts your way. :hug:

Good morning fellow GF fans!:goodvibes

Back to reality is no fun...especially if reality is covered with snow..lol...:crazy2: We had a GRAND vacation..as usual...really enjoying the low crowd levels in the parks...and after a day or two of cooler temps..warmth and sunshine...:sunny:

mariamouse Although I only skimmed...I read your review ..and enjoyed it..thanks for posting it! :goodvibes

k&a&c'smom I will continue to keep you, your DS and family in my thoughts and prayers...glad to hear that all is going well...:grouphug:

Welcome home, BlueSkies! I totally hear you about returning to the snow and cold temps. This winter seriously feels like it has been two winters (and I'm usually not one to complain too much about cold weather), so it is nice to have those (warm) Disney trip memories to reflect back on and to be able to look forward to those still to come! I am glad that you enjoyed the review and second your prayers to k&a&c'smom as well.

I agree, laminate will hold up fine for water in most cases. However, we have laminate in the kitchen of a rental, and it hasn't held up well at all - but not due to the water issue, more wear and tear of renters.

My mom's apt. complex replaced their carpeted floors with wood-look laminate that almost immediately de-laminated and carpet had to be put back down. Seems they hadn't counted on the abuse the floor would receive from wheel chairs, which is my thought with the number of ECVs at WDW.

The wood floors are not my favorite and after seeing it at WL and in the villas I expected it but hoped they would not do it. However, were that the only thing in the new rooms that I didn't care for, it wouldn't be a big deal for me. It may sound like I'm just bashing things I don't like, lol, but I'm truly curious how well they will stand up to years of wear.

I'm curious, too.

Is that wood in the foyer?? I know WL went to a tile that LOOKS like wood..

:thumbsup2 Told you they were terrific!

:crowded: Sounds like fun!

I've never had any dreams about leaving something or someone behind, but my mind always starts to wander and I keep thinking I will forget something, which makes me not able to fall asleep :rolleyes1. Then I go into panic mode and have to get up and make sure I do have everything and nothing got left out :rotfl::rotfl: .

Fellow worrier here...:faint: Till I get on that plane...then its all good! :goodvibes

k&a&c'smom and circusgirl Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful pics... Glad to see all of the Mickey touches that we didn't notice before...

Mariamouse Good to see you! :goodvibes

~ With reguards to the wood flooring.... when we toured the new VGF I asked if their wood floors were indeed wood and the CM said that she was pretty sure it was laminate... so I am thinking..and for all of the reasons discussed here ..that the new flooring in the rooms is laminate too...:confused3...

Hope that everyone is having a magical Monday! :wizard:

BTW...I hate snow! :faint: lol....

k&a&c'smom, thanks for the pre-2007 room picture! I think I would have been at home in that room....love the decor! :love: Unfortunately, we did not get to stay at the GF during that period! :sad2:

Congrats - how exciting!!!

That doesn't sound odd to me at all, those little touches are as important to me as the big ones. I worried they would get rid of the phone in the bath - why? I don't know! We rarely use it, but it's just nice to have it there.:teeth:

Oh no, there wasn't a phone in the refurbished room that we stayed in at Conch Key! :confused3 As someone else mentioned a while back, I'm wondering if they will add some things back into the room as time goes on - for example, the nesting table, the bathroom phone, the bench at the end of the bed. Out of curiosity, where did the phone used to be? I didn't see a phone jack in the bathroom - could they have wallpapered over it?

Are there rooms on the 1st floor of the Sugarloaf building? We are not fans of 1st floor rooms, so I want to know if I need to request an upper floor. Isn't the lounge on the 1st floor? TIA :goodvibes

Thank you and I am so glad that you enjoyed the review! I could not agree more about the beauty of the resort grounds and convenience of Boca Chica. My mom is already talking about booking our stay for next year. ;) I've told her that I'm not ready to decide where I would want to stay next year yet, although I do know that the new GF room decor has made it a lot easier to try out a different resort this time around... :scared: Guess we'll just have to return after the next room refurbs come around!

Of course, k&a&c'smom! Thank YOU for all of your help planning our stay! Sorry for the delay in posting photos-- life has gotten in the way (per usual), but I plan on posting them today!

We were most definitely lucky to be able to stay an extra night and were also very lucky with our dining experiences! We will likely return to Narcoossee's, GF Cafe and Il Mulino on future trips... all fantastic dining experiences! Thankfully, there is an Il Mulino near me in NYC, so I can just pop over there if I want to get my fix-- but it's still not the same as dining in the Swan, of course! ;)

On a separate note, I am so sorry to read about the difficult time your son has been going through lately (somehow missed your old post) and am hoping that things only continue to look up for him and your family. Truly wishing you all strength and sending warm thoughts your way. :hug:

Welcome home, BlueSkies! I totally hear you about returning to the snow and cold temps. This winter seriously feels like it has been two winters (and I'm usually not one to complain too much about cold weather), so it is nice to have those (warm) Disney trip memories to reflect back on and to be able to look forward to those still to come! I am glad that you enjoyed the review and second your prayers to k&a&c'smom as well.

Thanks so much about my boy.:hug: He has more treatment next week, then he should be finished for a while.

Don't you just love Boca Chica?! Great location, beautiful views. LOL about the new decor making it easier to move around - I agree! And easier on my bank account!:teeth:

Hasn't this winter been enough already?! Ugh.

I'm curious, too.

It is interesting, isn't it? We'll all have to find out together.:grouphug:

Is that wood in the foyer?? I know WL went to a tile that LOOKS like wood..

Is it really? I was going on my memory of the photos of the new rooms, I've not seen it in person. Tile would be much more durable.

Fellow worrier here...:faint: Till I get on that plane...then its all good! :goodvibes

k&a&c'smom and circusgirl Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful pics... Glad to see all of the Mickey touches that we didn't notice before...

~ With reguards to the wood flooring.... when we toured the new VGF I asked if their wood floors were indeed wood and the CM said that she was pretty sure it was laminate... so I am thinking..and for all of the reasons discussed here ..that the new flooring in the rooms is laminate too...:confused3...

Hope that everyone is having a magical Monday! :wizard:

BTW...I hate snow! :faint: lol....

Snow hater here, too.;)

Thanks for the laminate floor info, good to know.

I'm the same, once we are on the plane it's all good.:goodvibes

k&a&c'smom, thanks for the pre-2007 room picture! I think I would have been at home in that room....love the decor! :love: Unfortunately, we did not get to stay at the GF during that period! :sad2:

Awww, that's too bad.:hug: They were beautiful, I especially liked the rooms you see in that photo, with the floral bedspreads. So cheerful and it was fun there were 4 different room looks.~sigh~

Oh no, there wasn't a phone in the refurbished room that we stayed in at Conch Key! :confused3 As someone else mentioned a while back, I'm wondering if they will add some things back into the room as time goes on - for example, the nesting table, the bathroom phone, the bench at the end of the bed. Out of curiosity, where did the phone used to be? I didn't see a phone jack in the bathroom - could they have wallpapered over it?

:scared1: Oh, NO!:sad1: Well, I figured it would happen. They probably removed the phone jack and repaired the wall, then papered.~sigh~

Here's a photo of where they were located (loved that wallpaper, too):
IMG_0045.jpg

Are there rooms on the 1st floor of the Sugarloaf building? We are not fans of 1st floor rooms, so I want to know if I need to request an upper floor. Isn't the lounge on the 1st floor? TIA :goodvibes

Yes, rooms are also on the first floor, the lounge floor.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter