HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now THAT's what we call a reply! :worship:

All the best. :thumbsup2

My thoughts exactly! A few of these GF gals are the queens of multi-quoting..and you know who you are! ;)

Blue, I have not yet quite settled into my final plans for next year as far as when...and so far, no ADRs. Way too early, even if it is all about the food! :rotfl2: I really would like to go in the winter, but so far, have not broached the subject to my sister (and with her, the $$ is the big thing). (not to mention the announcement of the closures of the monorail during the day...that's a downer to me)

ClareH37, I'm jealous of all those massages you've booked! Now that's what I call ultimate pampering.:thumbsup2 ::yes::

Hi, MickeyNut. Would you believe I have yet to do a bit of baking?? I did very little last year, and this year it looks like it may be the same. And as much as I love goodies....:confused3 Just cannot get motivated.

Hello! New to this thread! We just secured our first VGF reservation for next Thanksgiving and are over the moon excited. My husband and I will have our 3 DS: ages 8,6,2 and will also be celebrating our 10 year anniversary! We've previously stayed at AKL and WL and are so excited to try something new. Look forward to reading all the incredible things about the grand!

Hello! New to this thread! We just secured our first VGF reservation for next Thanksgiving and are over the moon excited. My husband and I will have our 3 DS: ages 8,6,2 and will also be celebrating our 10 year anniversary! We've previously stayed at AKL and WL and are so excited to try something new. Look forward to reading all the incredible things about the grand!

We are staying there 1/2-1/5 so if you think of anything you can't find an answer for let me know.

We have often stayed at disney for Thanksgiving. It really is a fun time. Warm weather and the Christmas decorations up too!

Now THAT's what we call a reply! :worship:

All the best. :thumbsup2

LOL....thanks :goodvibes.

MickeyNut Well there you are! Glad things have finally settled down some.. You know that I miss chatting with you when you are not here!!

Hey Blue :). You know how the holidays are.....there's always a lot of extra things to do on top of the every day things.....but thankfully things are quieting down. I miss chatting here too so I'm hoping after Christmas I'll have more time to post ;). Have you done anymore baking?

:wave: Multi-quote-a-palooza:worship:

I was actually on the telephone with someone from Poly yesterday discussing the construction (Poly IPO rocks) and I was reminded Poly guests will have the use of the GF pools :beach: So even though I am staying a monorail stop away...we can use the pools so I can sneak in the Grand ambience :banana: Best of both worlds IMO, my DS12 prefers the GF pool;)

Hi pas :wave2:. Multi-quote-a-palooza....I like that :goodvibes. When I first started posting here I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to multi-quote.....but now it comes in handy if I'm in a hurry and/or have a lot to catch up on ::yes::.

I have yet to have any experience with Poly IPO, but I'm hoping to have that chance next year as Poly CL is on our list for at least one of our WDW stays. You are going to have a great time at the Poly :dance3:.....and it is nice that Poly guests are able to use the GF pools during the volcano pool closure, especially if you don't mind taking a little time to get over to the GF.

Thank you everyone! It was fun reading your responses to my lovely vacation. We ended with the Christmas fireworks at Epcot. The view from Italy is perfect.

I'm sitting here in my Massachusetts home with my eyes closed picturing the beautiful row of palm trees outside the front door of my Florida home at the Grand. Then my mind wonders into the foyer and there stands that whimsical water fountain and stunning cream colored marble floor.

Now I have to look on my iPhone at the photos I took!!!

What a great way to end your wonderful vacation :wizard:. It's hard not to think about the GF after returning home from a great trip.....and phone pics are always fun to look at too.

My thoughts exactly! A few of these GF gals are the queens of multi-quoting..and you know who you are! ;)

Hi, MickeyNut. Would you believe I have yet to do a bit of baking?? I did very little last year, and this year it looks like it may be the same. And as much as I love goodies....:confused3 Just cannot get motivated.

I remember not being able to multi-quote to save my life when I first came to the Dis :rotfl::rotfl:.

I'm actually doing some baking right now. I have some things to do tomorrow and want to relax Christmas Eve, so I figured I'd spend today baking all my goodies :goodvibes.

Congrats on booking VGF and welcome to the GF thread :welcome:. We've stayed at WL and AKL and while we love both resorts, the GF is just :cloud9:. I'm sure you will have an amazing time. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have as there are some very sweet and informative gals on here :goodvibes.

We are staying there 1/2-1/5 so if you think of anything you can't find an answer for let me know.

Your trip is quickly approaching :yay:.

Subscribing! Oh my goodness I have been here since October 2012 and I miss it so much. Have fun everybody who is there or leaving soon!

Welcome to the GF FAQ :welcome:.

Just checking in to say hello while waiting for the boat back to the grand! It is absolutely stunning. Our room is in Sago Cay... Haven't been to it yet... But can't wait!!!

Just checking in to say hello while waiting for the boat back to the grand! It is absolutely stunning. Our room is in Sago Cay... Haven't been to it yet... But can't wait!!!

Hope you're having a great time. Enjoy the GF.....the grounds and overall atmosphere are so refreshing to come back to after a day in the parks :goodvibes.

Just booked last minute trip RPC first week of January! So excited. It will be out first RPC trip!

You're going to love RPC....everything about it is amazing :wizard:.

January is one of my favorite times to travel to Disney. It is just so refreshing!

I think January is a nice to go as well....crowds are low and I agree that it is refreshing after the craziness of the holidays :).

That is amazing, and I very much agree DISpeeps are some of the finest peeps I have ever met. I haven't posted much here (I'm booked at Poly with a great discount trying not to change) but I do lurk often...and other than the resort changers thread..I consider here and WL my "home" threads

Agreed! And one of the reasons this thread rocks is the GRAND hostess.

Wishing my GF friends a very
Grand holiday

:wave2: Hey, you, so glad to "see" you here.:hug: Good luck with your Poly booking, lol, I hope you are able to hold strong!

(Thanks for the sweet compliment, btw.)

Just was drooling over the pictures on Facebook of the Grand at Christmas. We were only there once in December, but hoping we can come back next year. What a magical place!

It is magical, isn't it?! Hope you can book for Christmas next year.pixiedust:

Have just changed my May YC CL trip to the GF RPC (don't even ask how many times I've changed my booking), I haven't stayed there since 2007 so I'm going to start at the beginning of this great thread to refresh myself on everything the GF offers

I'm going 'solo' for 7 nights and have already booked a few spa treatments, I intend this to be a selfishly indulgent/pampering trip

The Grand is the perfect place for a pampering trip, especially RPC.:goodvibes Enjoy your read-a-thon, hehe.

At 6:00 pm we sat in the Grand foyer on a big comfy couch listening to the piano player and the band. At 7:00 pm a choir came to sing Christmas carols. We spent a very relaxing day at the Grand because it was our last day of our fabulous vacation.

Now I know how all of you have felt about the Grand all these years. Having a villa with my food allergies has made me very happy.

I will be back in January for a week.

The Grand is now my home!

It feels so Grand!!!

Thank you everyone! It was fun reading your responses to my lovely vacation. We ended with the Christmas fireworks at Epcot. The view from Italy is perfect.

I'm sitting here in my Massachusetts home with my eyes closed picturing the beautiful row of palm trees outside the front door of my Florida home at the Grand. Then my mind wonders into the foyer and there stands that whimsical water fountain and stunning cream colored marble floor.

Now I have to look on my iPhone at the photos I took!!!

Your last day at the Grand sounds perfect.~sigh~ Sorry you had to leave, but you will be there again soon. Thanks for the wonderful posts during your magical vacation!

Hope you had a nice time in Chicago and hope you were able to keep warm.....Chicago winters can be brutal.

Not a very nice thing for your DH to do to you.....LOL.....but I hope you were able to catch some warmer temps when you returned home.

I did a little baking the other day, but I'm planning to get more done today and tomorrow.

I hope your DS's surgery went well. Sending good thoughts for a good post op visit.

Glad the follow up went well and I'm happy for you that all of your kids will be home for Christmas.

LOL about DH and the short sleeves. He's a card.;)

Thanks about DS.:hug: He is here at home now and seems to be doing very well.:thumbsup2 Can't wait for DD and DS2/fiance to get here, but I have a couple days to get everything ready.

How did your baking go, or are you still in the thick of it?! I have more cookies to bake, but will wait until Christmas Eve, when the other kids will start to arrive. DH, DS1 and I have been eating far too many of those I froze last month, lol.

k&a&c'smom So happy to hear that your DS's follow up visit went well! Sounds like you are going to have a nice fullhouse for Christmas... I know thats the best present of all..Better get baking some more pecan tassies at your house too...LOl..It is funny how quickly that they disappear! Thanks again for the recipe!

LOL - you are right, we've eaten most of them, I'll have to make more. Glad you are enjoying the recipe.

The family together is, indeed, the very best present.

You were asking about split stays, and I know we've discussed this in the past, but I wanted to comment, anyway.;) We've done a split with nearly every resort, and our favorites are AKL and YC. With AKL, you get a completely different feel from the Grand - dark wood and jewel tones, animal viewing, the smell of fire. At YC, you get some of the same colors as AKL but more nautical, and though there is a similar vibe to the Grand (quiet, luxurious) it is different enough to feel like two vacations, and you have access to SAB, which we love. The YC CL staff are on a par with the GF CMs, very good service there.

BC is another favorite, but can be more hectic in the lobby and the colors are closer to the GF - so, if you want a similar feel, you have that option. We've not done CL at the BC, we always book a garden view.

WL is a favorite for the lobby and ambiance, but if you plan to do CL, it is not my fave in that area (sorry, WDWKOOK!:teeth:). The enclosed balconies make the rooms too dark for us, and DD and I are too short to see over the railing. Not to mention the lounge closing between service - if they still do that, we haven't been since 2007, I think.

I am also enjoying Candy Orlando's live report! How lovely you were just there!! We are having a Jersy heat wave..and DH joked that it feels like Florida. The first week of December was in the 80s..and we came home to snow and 20 degree weather :sad:

Multi-quote-a-palooza:worship:

I was actually on the telephone with someone from Poly yesterday discussing the construction (Poly IPO rocks) and I was reminded Poly guests will have the use of the GF pools So even though I am staying a monorail stop away...we can use the pools so I can sneak in the Grand ambience Best of both worlds IMO, my DS12 prefers the GF pool

Is it summer yet

Multi-quote-a-palooza!:rotfl:

I WISH!:sunny: Summer is my favorite time of year, I hate winter. Ugh. I know exactly what you mean about the 80s and then snow and cold. We had that experience this past week - I barely got here in time for warm weather, the day after I got home it dropped into the 30s and we now have ice on everything.

I'm glad the Poly guests have an option during the renovations, pay back for the GF guests who were able to visit the Volcano pool - but I fear the Grand pools will be packed, with the recent addition of VGF guests!:crowded:

.... (not to mention the announcement of the closures of the monorail during the day...that's a downer to me)

Hi, MickeyNut. Would you believe I have yet to do a bit of baking?? I did very little last year, and this year it looks like it may be the same. And as much as I love goodies.... Just cannot get motivated.

I don't blame you, I imagine the monorail closure is putting a damper on many a GF guest's plans!:headache:

Sorry you haven't felt motivated for your baking - I can relate! There have been many years I haven't accomplished nearly the same level of "Christmas cheer" as usual. Hope you are having a great time with the season, baking or not.:santa:

Welcome!:goodvibes We love AKL and WL, gorgeous resorts in their own right. I think you will fall in love with the Grand. Very exciting for you to all be there at Thanksgiving.pixiedust:

Subscribing! Oh my goodness I have been here since October 2012 and I miss it so much. Have fun everybody who is there or leaving soon!

Welcome!:cheer2: Sorry it has been so long since you've been to the Grand, I know how you must long to return. Here's hoping you'll have a trip booked before you know it.:thumbsup2

:wave: Glad to hear from you, how was the dark side?! Enjoy your stay, have a magical vacation.:wizard:

Just booked last minute trip RPC first week of January! So excited. It will be out first RPC trip!

:dance3: A last minute trip, I LOVE those! You will fall in love with RPC, so very Grand.:cloud9: Enjoy!!

Since I'm going to be traveling for work over the next couple of days (we are divesting of a subsidiary) I wanted to make sure I wished all of my GF friends a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best regards,

Tom

Hi pas :wave2:. Multi-quote-a-palooza....I like that :goodvibes. When I first started posting here I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to multi-quote.....but now it comes in handy if I'm in a hurry and/or have a lot to catch up on ::yes::.

I have yet to have any experience with Poly IPO, but I'm hoping to have that chance next year as Poly CL is on our list for at least one of our WDW stays. You are going to have a great time at the Poly :dance3:.....and it is nice that Poly guests are able to use the GF pools during the volcano pool closure, especially if you don't mind taking a little time to get over to the GF.
I still haven't 100% perfected posting pics :lmao: I am trying to keep an open mind that despite the construction the Poly will be fab! I'd love to do a GF stay...7 months is a long time for a resort changer to think:laughing: Kook is at WL now, so that is always on the radar :duck: I just can't get the Grand off my mind :worship:

:lovestruc Enjoy!!

So happy for you!!! Enjoy your trip!!! :cool1:
:wave:

:banana: ENJOY!!!!

:wave2: Hey, you, so glad to "see" you here.:hug: Good luck with your Poly booking, lol, I hope you are able to hold strong!

(Thanks for the sweet compliment, btw.)

It's the truth :hug: I am trying!! I could save a little and do GF GV but you know how I love my CL :rolleyes1
Multi-quote-a-palooza!:rotfl:

I WISH!:sunny: Summer is my favorite time of year, I hate winter. Ugh. I know exactly what you mean about the 80s and then snow and cold. We had that experience this past week - I barely got here in time for warm weather, the day after I got home it dropped into the 30s and we now have ice on everything.

I'm glad the Poly guests have an option during the renovations, pay back for the GF guests who were able to visit the Volcano pool - but I fear the Grand pools will be packed, with the recent addition of VGF guests!:crowded:
You know I've thought abou being crowded (as the 7 of us are invading from the Poly). A lot may depend on if both pools are affected...which wouldn't be wise in August, but there is going to be a lot of work going on:confused:

Since I'm going to be traveling for work over the next couple of days (we are divesting of a subsidiary) I wanted to make sure I wished all of my GF friends a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best regards,

Tom
Happy holidays!!!!:santa:

ETA:Perhaps I may have emailed my TA about a switch :rolleyes1 I would lose my Lagoon View CL at the Poly...but I get to celebrate my birthday at the Grand..I am sure 2 GV rooms will suit me just fine :goodvibes

I still haven't 100% perfected posting pics :lmao: I am trying to keep an open mind that despite the construction the Poly will be fab! I'd love to do a GF stay...7 months is a long time for a resort changer to think:laughing: Kook is at WL now, so that is always on the radar :duck: I just can't get the Grand off my mind :worship:

:lovestruc Enjoy!!

:wave:

:banana: ENJOY!!!!

You know I've thought abou being crowded (as the 7 of us are invading from the Poly). A lot may depend on if both pools are affected...which wouldn't be wise in August, but there is going to be a lot of work going on:confused:

Happy holidays!!!!:santa:

ETA:Perhaps I may have emailed my TA about a switch :rolleyes1 I would lose my Lagoon View CL at the Poly...but I get to celebrate my birthday at the Grand..I am sure 2 GV rooms will suit me just fine :goodvibes

:wave2:

:dance3: Birthday at the Grand!!! And when we are there too!!! :cheer2:

To all of the wonderful people on the GF thread

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

And a happy New Year!!

2014 will bring my family to the Grand and we are so looking forward to it!! :goodvibes

ladies, i just want to say we have some really special people on this thread. i got an email through disboards yesterday from someone so kind- she saw my post on here about my dog and she is a veterinarian and she offered to help me by giving me some information about treatment options for her. this is not someone i even know or have ever chatted with. i am just so in awe that someone would reach out a complete stranger in that way. i won't call her out, i will let her "out" herself if she is comfortable doing so. since she messaged me in email instead of on this thread, she may want to be anonymous. but i just wanted to let all you ladies know that there are still good people in this world! :good vibes we are all very lucky to have each other. :goodvibes

I am so glad to share information that might help you and your pup. There are some very effective yet gentle therapies available now.

I had a wonderful first stay at the Grand in November, and very much appreciate all the information, advice and enthusiasm to be found here! I want to share some pictures of the Christmas Grand to celebrate with all of you.

The Tree -

I was there when they did the magical overnight transformation of the resort for Christmas, and I stayed up until 3 am watching it happen. There were hardier souls than me who were there until 6 am, which is when the installers of magic were finally finishing up. It was a fun new experience.

They moved the furniture out of the center of the lobby a few days before the installation began.

And then, voila!

circusgirl!!! so you are an amazing person AND an amazing photographer? :faint: holy moley! those pictures are GORGEOUS! thanks so much for sharing them, and just in time for christmas!! and thank you again for your kindness and generosity towards our family/ my dog. we appreciate it so much! your guidance has been so helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter