HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love hearing how yall love the GF! We're going in 8 days!

Can we hear an update on the monorail issue relating to the GF? Is it still going to be fully down going to GF between 11 and 6?

Suitcase is out!! :thumbsup2

Happy packing :goodvibes.

We just returned from a week at the Grand Floridian. We had a lagoon view room which gave us an obstructed view of the MK. We still were able to enjoy the fireworks and the view of the castle/space mountain and loved our room. We thought GF was very open and airy. The grounds were beautiful. The service was amazing! We loved the shops, too! It may be our new favorite! Our kids thought the character bf at Park Fare was so much fun. The characters were very engaging.

I had been unsure of booking GF after we stayed at the Boardwalk last spring and posted a question on this board asking how the resorts compared. Boardwalk Inn was very nice but not our favorite. I was worried that GF would have a similar feel to Boardwalk. They were very, very different from each other aside from similar décor----and we loved our stay at the GF and will stay again! I would like to thank all who responded to my questions. I know it is difficult to try to answer as to whether or not someone will like a particular hotel but many of you took the time to answer my concerns.

The resort monorail was down for some of our trip between 11a and 6p which proved to be inconvenient for dining options and getting back from Epcot. The courtyard pool was down for a few days too. The beach pool was very nice and not very crowded most of the time, and my little guy loved the water feature/ splash play area.

Welcome back......glad you had a great time and enjoyed the GF :).

If I was where you are in my countdown, mine would have been out for days!! :lmao:

You aren't too far behind.....you will be checking into the Grand before you know it :yay:.

LOL - I looked at the countdown after reading this, and she is way ahead of where I would be.;) I'm a notorious last minute packer.:teeth:

I usually get the suitcases out about 2 weeks prior to our trips and while I usually do pretty good with early packing, I always find myself doing more last minute packing than I'd like to :rolleyes1.

Just had to comment on my upcoming GF trip. I received my MB's :thumbsup2

Yay for getting your MBs :cheer2:.

Just back from 8 nights at GF. Had a great time, magic bands and FP+ worked great for us. I I Lu wish the movie each night was in a better spot. It's impossible to watch the movie and still catch the water pageant and fireworks. Otherwise we had a really liked the grand, not sure if we would choose it over the poly though for our next trip. I guess that depends in construction at the poly. Maybe it's time we think about contemporary.

Glad you had a great time :wizard:.

We're going in 8 days!

Have a great trip :cool1:.

Good evening Grands!! We are in Alabama this weekend for some Auburn football and motorcycle racing.

Does anyone know when they are planning to stop the monorail shutdowns? We will be at the WL in 20 days and have tea planned on our first day at GF

Thanks!!

:wave2:

Happy weekend all.

Just had to comment on my upcoming GF trip. I received my MB's :thumbsup2

Then the next day I got an "invitation" in the mail to customize (I already have) and do my FP+s.

Then 3 days later, today I received an email "invitation":rolleyes:

So. If you have a reservation in November or December check daily for FP+ and MB's. I have a res for 1/1/14 and am keeping an eye out for that too.

Not sure why disney so behind with notification:confused3

The whole thing was pretty seamless for us..:thumbsup2

I received the invitation before I even looked at the info on My Disney Experience. (actually, to a veteran Disney planner, I find it quite fun! ). When I decided to participate, it was just a matter of a week or a little less from customizing to receiving the MBs. Now we'll see just how efficient all this makes our park time...

Leaving three weeks from today..:cheer2: :cool1:

I received the invitation before I even looked at the info on My Disney Experience. (actually, to a veteran Disney planner, I find it quite fun! ). When I decided to participate, it was just a matter of a week or a little less from customizing to receiving the MBs. Now we'll see just how efficient all this makes our park time...

Just a few days behind ya! Gonna start packing today.

""""Welcome back, glad you had a magical trip!:goodvibes Nothing like the Grand.

Sorry about the monorail issues and the courtyard pool, when I read about those things I felt for anyone there last week.:headache: Hopefully it didn't impact your visit too much, but how annoying.

Which building were you in? Sounds like you got a great view!""""

We were in Boca Chica. Oh and our beds had the white duvet cover and not the floral bedspread. There are always issues on any vacation- we had the monorail and the pool issues and of course a few rides were having technical difficulties (Space Mountain, Ellen's energy) but we chose to take it all in stride- things happen-and overall the vacation was amazing!

Just back from 8 nights at GF. Had a great time, magic bands and FP+ worked great for us. I I Lu wish the movie each night was in a better spot. It's impossible to watch the movie and still catch the water pageant and fireworks. Otherwise we had a really liked the grand, not sure if we would choose it over the poly though for our next trip. I guess that depends in construction at the poly. Maybe it's time we think about contemporary.

Welcome back, glad you had a Grand vacation.:goodvibes

Is the movie not located on the beach, near the camp fire? If so, I would think you could see the EWP while it is at the Poly, at least. When we are there we tend to watch the various offerings on alternate nights, but then, we've been there so many times.:flower3:

I love hearing how yall love the GF! We're going in 8 days!

Can we hear an update on the monorail issue relating to the GF? Is it still going to be fully down going to GF between 11 and 6?

Good evening Grands!! We are in Alabama this weekend for some Auburn football and motorcycle racing.

Does anyone know when they are planning to stop the monorail shutdowns? We will be at the WL in 20 days and have tea planned on our first day at GF

Thanks!!

From what I've read, they have not given an end date for the shut down. Here is the notice on WDWmagic.

Starting on October 6 2013, the resort beam will not operate from 11am to 6pm. During this time, guests will be able to use additional bus and boat transportation from the monorail resorts. It is expected that the reduced hours will be in effect for two weeks, although Disney has not yet confirmed a completion date.

The Epcot beam and Express beam are unaffected by the work.

I usually get the suitcases out about 2 weeks prior to our trips and while I usually do pretty good with early packing, I always find myself doing more last minute packing than I'd like to :rolleyes1.

:teeth: I might get the suitcase out and start putting clothes and shoes in the general vicinity, but actual packing has to wait until I can do it all at once. Otherwise, I forget what I've packed and have to redo.:laughing:

We were in Boca Chica. Oh and our beds had the white duvet cover and not the floral bedspread. There are always issues on any vacation- we had the monorail and the pool issues and of course a few rides were having technical difficulties (Space Mountain, Ellen's energy) but we chose to take it all in stride- things happen-and overall the vacation was amazing!

Cool! Love the location of Boca, glad you got a good view of the MK. We had a lagoon view room once that had a big tree blocking the castle.;)

Interesting about the duvet, I didn't realize they had started the room refurb. Was anything else different?

:banana::banana::banana:

:cool1::cool1:

Glad you had a great vacation :goodvibes. I agree with k&a&c'smom....interesting about the duvets. I wonder if they decided to step up the room refurbs :confused3.

:teeth: I might get the suitcase out and start putting clothes and shoes in the general vicinity, but actual packing has to wait until I can do it all at once. Otherwise, I forget what I've packed and have to redo.:laughing:

I have BTDT :rotfl::rotfl:. I pack early and then as it gets to within a day or two of leaving, I go through the suitcases and end up pulling almost everything out to make sure I didn't forget anything.....even after I have checked it off of my list as being packed :rotfl2:.

""""Welcome back, glad you had a magical trip!:goodvibes Nothing like the Grand.

Sorry about the monorail issues and the courtyard pool, when I read about those things I felt for anyone there last week.:headache: Hopefully it didn't impact your visit too much, but how annoying.

Which building were you in? Sounds like you got a great view!""""

Interesting about the duvet... :scratchin

Exciting to hear the bedspread is updated! I wonder how many others?

Today, as I was exiting my car at Michael's, I thought...it's almost here..one more week and we'll be at GF! And this physical THRILL surged through my chest, just like the one I used to get when I was little and it was Christmas Eve! :upsidedow

Interesting about the duvet... :scratchin

I saw this at YC I think.. They did away with the bread spreads.. I think they have been doing this at almost all hotels I have stayed at recently (non-Disney) around the states

I saw this at YC I think.. They did away with the bread spreads.. I think they have been doing this at almost all hotels I have stayed at recently (non-Disney) around the states

Oh yes, I know. Which is why it was so odd to me that GF was clinging to them. We had duvets at YC and WL, which is fantastic. Even some of the Disney value resorts have the triple sheeting instead of bedspreads. I'm happy the GF is getting rid of them.

I thought it was interesting because the GF room refurbs aren't rumored to be until next year.

I need some help regarding RPC deluxe rooms. We had to make some changes to our December trip which resulted in pushing our cruise back until next year, along with changing our resort stays. I was originally thinking of going over Mother's Day, but with the new promo that was just released, it's hard to pass up a 35% discount at deluxes for March without knowing if anything will be offered for May. I tried to get my oldest to agree to BWI, but it wasn't happening without good CS options :sad2:......so the MK area it is. The CR wasn't available for our dates (we'll try that next December ;)) and with the Poly pool closing April-August (construction wouldn't be an issue, but the pool being closed is a deal breaker for us), that leaves the GF (but that's not a bad thing......LOL). My intention was to book a standard RPC room, but the only thing available under the discount was a deluxe room, so I booked it. I'm not familiar with the deluxe rooms and was wondering where they are located? Also, are any deluxe rooms close to the lounge? TIA for any information :flower3:.

I need some help regarding RPC deluxe rooms. We had to make some changes to our December trip which resulted in pushing our cruise back until next year, along with changing our resort stays. I was originally thinking of going over Mother's Day, but with the new promo that was just released, it's hard to pass up a 35% discount at deluxes for March without knowing if anything will be offered for May. I tried to get my oldest to agree to BWI, but it wasn't happening without good CS options :sad2:......so the MK area it is. The CR wasn't available for our dates (we'll try that next December ;)) and with the Poly pool closing April-August (construction wouldn't be an issue, but the pool being closed is a deal breaker for us), that leaves the GF (but that's not a bad thing......LOL). My intention was to book a standard RPC room, but the only thing available under the discount was a deluxe room, so I booked it. I'm not familiar with the deluxe rooms and was wondering where they are located? Also, are any deluxe rooms close to the lounge? TIA for any information :flower3:.

Ah, man!!! I've been watching your ticker go down, and you were so close! Sorry you had to reschedule and rearrange everything. I was ready for some more reviews! :sad1:

Ah, man!!! I've been watching your ticker go down, and you were so close! Sorry you had to reschedule and rearrange everything. I was ready for some more reviews! :sad1:

Aww thank you :flower3:. Some unavoidable things came up, but I'm ok with it as March isn't too far away and with the holidays around the corner, that will make the time go by fast (plus the discount for March was more than December, with rack rates pretty close). Hopefully I will get to both CR and Poly CL next December (but of course, there's still plenty of time for me to change for March :rotfl::rotfl:). I REALLY wanted to try BWI CL, but my oldest DS just isn't having it :laughing:. If you don't mind me asking, what made you change to GF SL from BWI CL and BC CL?

Aww thank you :flower3:. Some unavoidable things came up, but I'm ok with it as March isn't too far away and with the holidays around the corner, that will make the time go by fast :goodvibes. Hopefully I will get to both CR and Poly CL next year (but of course, there's still plenty of time for me to change :rotfl::rotfl:). I REALLY wanted to try BWI CL, but my oldest DS just isn't having it :laughing:. If you don't mind me asking, what made you change to GF SL from BWI CL and BC CL?

Ohhhhhh boy.....I've stopped trying to rationalize all of my changes.....:laughing:

But, truth be told, I love being so close to MK. I really thought GF would be a great option for my family since we ha decided to stay away from the Poly during construction. I was met with resistance from my family though. :upsidedow

Well, my oldest DD (she is 9) admitted to me today that she really did want to stay at GF. She didn't want to admit it because of it's "fancy" appearance...she's very much a down to earth tomboy if you will. :laughing:

Well, that did it....we switched and DH will just do whatever we like, even though he would have preferred the Epcot area.

Honestly, I knew BWI wouldn't last because I am one of those non-clown loving folks. And I wasn't super excited about BC CL since I know it's pretty much just like YC CL and that was nice but not amazing or anything.

We haven't stayed at a monorail resort yet, so GF it is. RPC is out of the budget, even with a 40% off but I am hoping we like Sugarloaf. I visited GF a couple of weeks ago and really felt like that's where our next stay should be. :goodvibes

Ohhhhhh boy.....I've stopped trying to rationalize all of my changes.....:laughing:

But, truth be told, I love being so close to MK. I really thought GF would be a great option for my family since we ha decided to stay away from the Poly during construction. I was met with resistance from my family though. :upsidedow

Well, my oldest DD (she is 9) admitted to me today that she really did want to stay at GF. She didn't want to admit it because of it's "fancy" appearance...she's very much a down to earth tomboy if you will. :laughing:

Well, that did it....we switched and DH will just do whatever we like, even though he would have preferred the Epcot area.

Honestly, I knew BWI wouldn't last because I am one of those non-clown loving folks. And I wasn't super excited about BC CL since I know it's pretty much just like YC CL and that was nice but not amazing or anything.

We haven't stayed at a monorail resort yet, so GF it is. RPC is out of the budget, even with a 40% off but I am hoping we like Sugarloaf. I visited GF a couple of weeks ago and really felt like that's where our next stay should be. :goodvibes

LOL on not rationalizing the changes :rotfl:. It is nice, though, that Disney allows that to happen as it is very hard to decide on just one resort and it's easy to second guess your first choice :sad2:.

I had to laugh at the clown remark as I see that a lot here on the boards.....nobody seems to like the clown pool :laughing:. I could take it or leave it, but I do think the slide looks awesome. The pictures might be deceiving, but it looks pretty cool to me ::yes::.

The GF is a great resort and I'm sure you'll have a great stay. I always felt it was "stuffy" every time we visited, but my views quickly changed the first time I stayed there. Even my DH and both DSs (who always said they didn't want to stay there) enjoyed their stay (the Poly is everyone's favorite, but the GF is never out of the question ;)). Before I modified our reservation I gave my oldest DS 2 options......BWI or GF :rolleyes1......his response was "anything other than an Epcot resort, so I guess it's the GF" :rotfl2:. It's not set in stone as I would really like to try something new, so we'll see. We love the MK area as well and I first checked the CR, but it's not available for our dates and well, you know about the Poly :rolleyes1......so for right now it's the GF, but don't be surprised if you see a new ticker over the coming weeks :lmao:.

I will keep watching your ticker to see if it changes, especially since you have quite a bit of time to rethink your choice :rotfl: (but I hope the GF sticks because it really is an amazing resort :wizard:).

LOL on not rationalizing the changes :rotfl:. It is nice, though, that Disney allows that to happen as it is very hard to decide on just one resort and it's easy to second guess your first choice :sad2:.

I had to laugh at the clown remark as I see that a lot here on the boards.....nobody seems to like the clown pool :laughing:. I could take it or leave it, but I do think the slide looks awesome. The pictures might be deceiving, but it looks pretty cool to me ::yes::.

The GF is a great resort and I'm sure you'll have a great stay. I always felt it was "stuffy" every time we visited, but my views quickly changed the first time I stayed there. Even my DH and both DSs (who always said they didn't want to stay there) enjoyed their stay (the Poly is everyone's favorite, but the GF is never out of the question ;)). Before I modified our reservation I gave my oldest DS 2 options......BWI or GF :rolleyes1......his response was "anything other than an Epcot resort, so I guess it's the GF" :rotfl2:. It's not set in stone as I would really like to try something new, so we'll see. We love the MK area as well and I first checked the CR, but it's not available for our dates and well, you know about the Poly :rolleyes1......so for right now it's the GF, but don't be surprised if you see a new ticker over the coming weeks :lmao:.

I will keep watching your ticker to see if it changes, especially since you have quite a bit of time to rethink your choice :rotfl: (but I hope the GF sticks because it really is an amazing resort :wizard:).

The BWI slide does look awesome (before the regurgitated kids coming out of the mouth at the end :p ) but, my DD's aren't going to do a crazy slide. They wouldn't do the one at BC/YC. The loved the one at WL, and GF's slide looks pretty similar. :goodvibes

This will be an ultimate trying something new for us, but yes, there is a lot of time left. I'm feeling strong right now!

If you need decision help....the RC thread is always open to you! :flower3:

Good luck! :goodvibes

Morning Mickeynut!

I have std for first night then deluxe RPC for my upcoming trip.

One set of rooms are on 2nd floor above GGG(9 of them) with view of marina and castle in distance. (Sago on left, SL on right).these rooms look like std room with balcony but have a jacuzzi tub.

Then there are 6 octagon rooms. Floor 3,4,5 in 2 rows. I google mapped the area and you can see them clearly. One row is on monorail side and the other row faces VGF . There rooms do not have balconies but have walk in closets and awesome views.

I will get pics when I am there. Let me know what else too.

Not long now:cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter