HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not too late people!!!!

Go to cheaptickets.com and code is cheaperific!
An extra 20% off of Disney's sale. So GF was 30 % and CR and Poly only 20% so GF ended up being cheaper than even SS and AKL! :cool1:

Good for sept - dec 24th:thumbsup2

Lots of boardwalk area sold out due to F & W but hey a sale is a sale:)

Just cancelled AAA ressie in lieu of renting DVC points......we'll be staying in a one bedroom at VGF in March! I'm pinching myself daily bc I'm just SO excited!!!!!!

Looking at the DVC model room photos, the decor of the bedrooms is nearly the same color palette as the Four Seasons room photos. Maybe we get a feel for what the resort rooms will look like?:scratchin I'll try to post them, so everyone can see:
DVC
villas-at-grand-floridian-deluxe-studio-standard-view-gallery00.jpg

Four Seasons
cq5dam.web.720.405.jpeg

I am the worst one for giving advice on DVC vs. regular resort rooms.:laughing: We've never stayed in a DVC room, and when I looked into buying in, decided it just doesn't fit our way of vacationing.

That being said, my good friend BCV23 is a DVC owner, and her take on it has been she would choose a regular resort room over a studio, but a 1-BR villa over a regular room. Partly due to the fridge and w/d.:)

HTH, and I hope others with more experience can give their two cents.

thanks....I have heard that before on renting studios vs standard room....my reason for picking a studio was to try out the new villas and save some money. I also like the look of the villa over the standard room. We won't be in the room much so saving money was a great incentive...I am worried about space though being tight?
If we rented points I am not sure if we would do the dining plan or not with the kitchenette so that is another way to save money too?

HOWEVER, I like the idea of being able to cancel thru disney, it makes me a little nervous to pay all up front when renting and not be able to cancel??

An extra 20% off of Disney's sale. So GF was 30 % and CR and Poly only 20% so GF ended up being cheaper than even SS and AKL! :cool1:

And even more....book through ebates and get additional cash! I actually used the cheap tickets rate, but booked through ebates on the travelocity link. travelocity was paying a higher rebates (ebate) AND travelocity will match prices. SO...I screen shot (VERY important!!!) the final rate page on cheap tickets using the cheaperific coupon, then booked travelocity through ebates which when I include the $198 check on the way, my final discount was 49% off the fall rate!!!! :thumbsup2

I'm taking Mama & Daddy to the GF on October 20th for 5 nights. They are 83 and 82 yrs old.
We have reserved 2 outer building garden view rooms.

I have never stayed here and want them to have the least amount of trouble getting to the restaurants and monorail in the main building.

Can someone advise me what to request as a building and floor that would give them the best view, and location?

Thank you so much! SO excited! They'll be celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary! :thumbsup2

And even more....book through ebates and get additional cash! I actually used the cheap tickets rate, but booked through ebates on the travelocity link. travelocity was paying a higher rebates (ebate) AND travelocity will match prices. SO...I screen shot (VERY important!!!) the final rate page on cheap tickets using the cheaperific coupon, then booked travelocity through ebates which when I include the $198 check on the way, my final discount was 49% off the fall rate!!!! :thumbsup2

Well my day is not wasted , I learned something new!

Thanks so much:yay:

I'm taking Mama & Daddy to the GF on October 20th for 5 nights. They are 83 and 82 yrs old.

I have never stayed here and want them to have the least amount of trouble getting to the restaurants and monorail in the main building.

Can someone advise me what to request as a building and floor that would give them the best view, and location?

Thank you so much! SO excited! They'll be celebrating their 63rd wedding anniversary! :thumbsup2

I like Sago because even though garden view rooms it has lagoon on one side and marina on the other.

It is convenient to bus stop, lobby/monorail and Gasparilla's .

1st floor probably easiest but elevators in building so not a problem.

Sometimes when traveling with my parents or inlaws I will pick up food and bring back to room. Sometimes they just too tired to go out again.

Try to catch the maid walk. On certain mornings the maids walk in line with parasols and really cute to watch and start your day:)

trishadono - thanks for the info, I am looking into a fall trip.:goodvibes

Just cancelled AAA ressie in lieu of renting DVC points......we'll be staying in a one bedroom at VGF in March! I'm pinching myself daily bc I'm just SO excited!!!!!!

Congrats on your booking!:banana: Very exciting!

thanks....I have heard that before on renting studios vs standard room....my reason for picking a studio was to try out the new villas and save some money. I also like the look of the villa over the standard room. We won't be in the room much so saving money was a great incentive...I am worried about space though being tight?
If we rented points I am not sure if we would do the dining plan or not with the kitchenette so that is another way to save money too?

HOWEVER, I like the idea of being able to cancel thru disney, it makes me a little nervous to pay all up front when renting and not be able to cancel??

Saving money is a great reason!:teeth: I try to find the best price whenever we vacation. I hope someone can help about the space, I have no clue how big the VGF studios are - maybe I'll see if I can find a layout diagram.

Are you able to book a dining plan by renting points? I know it is sometimes tricky.

I know what you mean regarding cancellation, we never use to cancel but have had to several times in the last few years due to unforeseen circumstances. Good luck with your decision.

Congrats to your parents, how awesome you can take them to the World and the Grand for their anniversary.:cool1:

The grounds of the GF are not that large, I'd say the walk from the farthest room to the monorail platform is about 7 minutes, give or take. I am not a fast walker and I can usually cross the courtyard (outer building to main building) in about 3 minutes.

With garden view, you will have a view of either the courtyard pool, marina or the back landscape of Sago Cay with the monorail line. Which sounds more like your cup of tea? We love Conch Key, it is in a good all around location - close to courtyard pool, boat dock and Narcoosee's, and a short walk to the marina and Gasparilla's out the back door.

Another favorite is Boca Chica; the view of the courtyard pool and the Main Building is so pretty, and it, too, is close to the boat dock and Narcoossee's.

Many guests like Big Pine Key, it is the closest from door to door to the main building, and has easy access to the courtyard and Beach pools. However, there are a number of rooms that look right into the back of the pool house; be sure to request an upper floor, if you like the idea of BPK.

As trishadono posted, Sago Cay is very close to the bus stop via the back path, and Gasparilla's. I find it a bit removed, but many people love the quiet.

HTH!:flower3:

Is the hotel layout the same in Sugar Loaf as the other buildings? I stayed in Sago before and we were right over the lobby. It wasn't too noisy at all and we were even right next to the elevator, but I wouldn't mind being further down the hall this time. Thanks in advance!

Is the hotel layout the same in Sugar Loaf as the other buildings? I stayed in Sago before and we were right over the lobby. It wasn't too noisy at all and we were even right next to the elevator, but I wouldn't mind being further down the hall this time. Thanks in advance!

I have stayed in Sago and it was the same layout as SL.

As MommyGina posted, all the outer buildings have the same layout. Keep in mind, Sugar Loaf has the club lounge in their central lobby, so when you look down you see CMs, tables and sometimes other guests.:)

Okay, I'll do my best!:thumbsup2:beach:

Thanks! Safe travels and have a Grand vacation.pixiedust:

We took my parents when they were 80, 82 and my MIL, 74. We stayed in Sago Cay and loved it! We had TPV rooms and they enjoyed being on the balcony at night watching the Fireworks.

I will mention that we had ECV's for the ladies so they could get around in the parks better.

It's a perfect resort for parents, and Happy Anniversary to yours!

PS Make sure the restaurants know of their celebration. My parents got a standing O at 'Ohana for being married 63 years.

Where do I enter the code and also trying to book inner building.

Haha I was asleep then! Glad you found it! I had no problem connecting the 6 digit res code from email right to MyExperiences.

Also disneysmagicalexpress.com is an easy way to order your ME yourself:thumbsup2 (just wait 3days or so for res to populate to system)

What is the layout of the common areas inside the outer buildings? I have no visual in my mind at all? Just curious.

Thanks! That looks very pretty, I almost wish I had not seen it, lol will be nice surprise for family if we stay here! Really nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!