HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I am hoping they do a room refurb before we go so my dh will like the rooms a bit more :)

mousemommy. sent you a pm. thanks for your help :)

Everyone on here has been amazing!

Hi BlueSkies:wave2:

Concerning the soft refurb. We tried to book our next year's vacation when we came back last month. We wanted to go in July, RPC with TPV. When I checked on line and called, the entire month of July, 2014, is unavailable for RPC and some of the outer building suites as well.

When I checked on line for SL, I found that the entire month of May, 2014, is unavailable as well. Don't know if this is refurb or what. We are booked for
SL for next July because one entire building will be unavailable. Don't want to be left out.

As far as bringing kids to college, I will be doing that next year at this time.
DS will be heading off on his own. Hope that next year's vacation will not be our last as an entire family. I can feel the pain for all of my mom friends here with regards to bringing children back to school. My heart already has a pain.

jillmc40 - cherish every moment with your kids, the time flies by.:grouphug:

princessap - ask away, that's why we are here!:flower3:

amy1976 - very exciting!!:cheer2::cheer2: Can't wait to hear what you think of the Villas.

MommyGina - thanks for the info on the availability next year. Interesting. I wonder when the Four Seasons opens? If I recall, sometime in early 2014 - the rooms are gorgeous, btw, a similar color palette to the new Portofino Bay rooms (which we loved!). I'm curious how it will affect the Grand, what they will choose for the new room decor.

I'd love it if it freed up some dates for me at the GF, but I'm not holding my breath.:rolleyes1

Looking at the DVC model room photos, the decor of the bedrooms is nearly the same color palette as the Four Seasons room photos. Maybe we get a feel for what the resort rooms will look like?:scratchin I'll try to post them, so everyone can see:
DVC
villas-at-grand-floridian-deluxe-studio-standard-view-gallery00.jpg

Four Seasons
cq5dam.web.720.405.jpeg

I am debating between renting points and booking a standard room?!:confused3

Any advice??

I am the worst one for giving advice on DVC vs. regular resort rooms.:laughing: We've never stayed in a DVC room, and when I looked into buying in, decided it just doesn't fit our way of vacationing.

That being said, my good friend BCV23 is a DVC owner, and her take on it has been she would choose a regular resort room over a studio, but a 1-BR villa over a regular room. Partly due to the fridge and w/d.:)

HTH, and I hope others with more experience can give their two cents.

I think I overlooked the dressing area ? Perhaps they will just reconfigure closet space and get a real dresser?

Even with the less than aptimal dresser space..ther really is plenty of closet room for clothes storage..we tend to keep most of our stuff in the suticases..and store them on the luggage stands right in the closet..its that roomy..

I am looking forward to staying at the GF next year!! Never thought I would be excited to stay here or even consider staying here but I am soooo excited now! My girls really want to stay here!

Just wondering if there are any plans to do any room refurbs here soon??

Seems based on limited availability of room for next year that there are going to be room refurbs going on...A CM during our last stay told me that she thought it would start around January..but that was just specilation..

Bethclayton those pictures are amazing!! So happy you are having the best time ever :). What type of room did you have booked originally?

All this talk about kids going to college makes me sad!! Mine are small an sometimes I catch myself trying to rush them through it all, an I will say to dh. Someday we are going to wish for this to come back. Hugs to all the mommies sending their babies to college this week!!

Enjoy them..the time really does just fly by...:sad2:

I am super excited to stay at Grand Floridian this November! We are staying on a 2 bedroom in the new Villas. I can't wait to see the rooms! We have not stayed at Grand Floridian since our honeymoon 13 years ago and our kids have never stayed there. So excited!:banana::banana:

:dance3: congrats you are going to love it!!!

Belated Happy Birthday! How lucky to be there in your happy place on your special day...and to be "pixie-dusted" so hugely!! :wizard: I just love the Disney magic! :love:

Grannieminnie HI!!!!:goodvibes I have missed chatting with you!:hug: Tried to PM you but your dont have that feature enabled...Hope all is well with you and the family..PM me if you can!

Usually, it means stuff like bedding, curtains and sometimes carpet...so all of the "soft" goods in the room, that are subject to wear and tear. I wouldn't be surprised if GF goes to the triple sheet or duvet look. :goodvibes

They already do the triple sheeting with the blankets that they make up the beds with...and I sure do hope that they go with the duvets...

Hi BlueSkies:wave2:

Concerning the soft refurb. We tried to book our next year's vacation when we came back last month. We wanted to go in July, RPC with TPV. When I checked on line and called, the entire month of July, 2014, is unavailable for RPC and some of the outer building suites as well.

When I checked on line for SL, I found that the entire month of May, 2014, is unavailable as well. Don't know if this is refurb or what. We are booked for
SL for next July because one entire building will be unavailable. Don't want to be left out.

As far as bringing kids to college, I will be doing that next year at this time.
DS will be heading off on his own. Hope that next year's vacation will not be our last as an entire family. I can feel the pain for all of my mom friends here with regards to bringing children back to school. My heart already has a pain.

I didnt realize May was included in the dates that CL was unavailable...uugghh...:thumbsup2 Good thinking booking SL for July...Hope the RPC rooms end up opening up!

Any advice??

No help from me...We are a family of five and very comfortable in a standard room....Plus we really enjoy all that staying CL has to offer..which includes the extra space of having the lounge available...Oh and the having coffee available all day doesnt hurt either!

k&a&c'smom Thanks for all of those pics....and the info too! :goodvibes I am guessing that the refurbished room color scheme is going to be similar to that of Gasparillas...and I did notice on our recent stay that the first floor hallway of the pool elevator had been totally redone...in that light blue and green color scheme...its a nice combo..and had that bright and airy feel to it... Those VGF rooms are lovely..especially the blue accents! But then I am partial to all things blue! ;)

MickeyNut Whatcha doing this morning???

BethClayton What an extra special day..Love those treats too! :wizard: Such a wonderful trip for you and your family! :goodvibes

Any advice??

If you do rent points David's is a wonderful service!! They are a sponsor here. I rented from them and it was really easy and i felt safe since it was my first time.

There are differences between point stays and regular room stays. Points no daily mouse keeping, no turn down, u will be in the Dvc building, pay up front, no canceling once booked, and it is based on availability which might be limited.

Even with the less than aptimal dresser space..ther really is plenty of closet room for clothes storage..we tend to keep most of our stuff in the suticases..and store them on the luggage stands right in the closet..its that roomy..

They already do the triple sheeting with the blankets that they make up the beds with...

No help from me...We are a family of five and very comfortable in a standard room....Plus we really enjoy all that staying CL has to offer..which includes the extra space of having the lounge available...Oh and the having coffee available all day doesnt hurt either!

k&a&c'smom Thanks for all of those pics....and the info too! :goodvibes I am guessing that the refurbished room color scheme is going to be similar to that of Gasparillas...and I did notice on our recent stay that the first floor hallway of the pool elevator had been totally redone...in that light blue and green color scheme...its a nice combo..and had that bright and airy feel to it... But then I am partial to all things blue! ;)

I do like the new look of Gasparilla's, green is my favorite color.:cloud9: Cool about the hallway for the pool elevator, we used it several times in April, it was looking a little tired if I recall. Have you seen the new PBH rooms? I'll post a pic:

IMG_1505_zps27b4b188.jpg

The GF closets are huge, aren't they?! We call down for extra hangers immediately and hang up everything - shorts, capris, tees, blouses, skirts. Only lingerie and swim things go in the dresser drawers. I don't use the shelves in the closet, but only because I'm short. Often throw smalller suitcases up there, to get them out of the way. I like unpacking at any resort!

Good catch on the triple sheeting! One of the things we love about the GF.

We, too, are a family of 5.:goodvibes When all the kids and DH vacationed together, we always stayed in one room. It did not occur to us to do otherwise, lol. We did not stay at the Grand back then, but we did stay POR (little kids - they fought over the trundle), BWI and the Poly - Poly rooms felt huge!;) By the time we discovered the Grand, DH and oldest DS had given up on WDW.:faint:

I am still 61 days out but wondered if gf will be picked for magic bands in oct? Anyone know?

I do like the new look of Gasparilla's, green is my favorite color.:cloud9: Cool about the hallway for the pool elevator, we used it several times in April, it was looking a little tired if I recall. Have you seen the new PBH rooms? I'll post a pic:

IMG_1505_zps27b4b188.jpg

The GF closets are huge, aren't they?! We call down for extra hangers immediately and hang up everything - shorts, capris, tees, blouses, skirts. Only lingerie and swim things go in the dresser drawers. I don't use the shelves in the closet, but only because I'm short. Often throw smalller suitcases up there, to get them out of the way. I like unpacking at any resort!

Good catch on the triple sheeting! One of the things we love about the GF.

We, too, are a family of 5.:goodvibes When all the kids and DH vacationed together, we always stayed in one room. It did not occur to us to do otherwise, lol. We did not stay at the Grand back then, but we did stay POR (little kids - they fought over the trundle), BWI and the Poly - Poly rooms felt huge!;) By the time we discovered the Grand, DH and oldest DS had given up on WDW.:faint:

are these what the new rooms will look like???

We are a family of five too so it is good to hear that the standard room will be big enough! our first stay was at the poly and the rooms were nice and big. our plan was to stay there again but found the gf with all the construction talk at the poly.
will the gf rooms feel smaller??

I am super excited to stay at Grand Floridian this November! We are staying on a 2 bedroom in the new Villas. I can't wait to see the rooms! We have not stayed at Grand Floridian since our honeymoon 13 years ago and our kids have never stayed there. So excited!:banana::banana:

Oooh, we are booked for January in a 2br lake view. The pics and videos look amazing:goodvibes

I checked out construction 2 weeks ago and it still looks like shared balconies. Hopefully they are adding dividers:confused3

I will be in a regular room at GF 8th-11th with just dh and I for anniversary. I will peek over to the villas then to see them again:cool1:

trishadono - you just have GF trips booked all over the place!;) I'm so envious.:teeth:

are these what the new rooms will look like???

We are a family of five too so it is good to hear that the standard room will be big enough! our first stay was at the poly and the rooms were nice and big. our plan was to stay there again but found the gf with all the construction talk at the poly.
will the gf rooms feel smaller??

No, that photo is of the renovated rooms at the Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal - sorry for the confusion! I was posting it to show it is a very similar color scheme to the Villas at the GF bedrooms and the new Four Seasons Orlando rooms. Popular colors, apparently.;) It is unlikely we'll know exactly what the new rooms will look like until they get started with the renovations, Disney hates to give out any info.

The GF rooms and the Poly rooms are of similar size. For many, the Poly rooms with the sinks inside the bathroom felt bigger, as the GF has a separate bath/dressing area. I'm not sure if all the Poly rooms now have the sinks/dressing area outside the bath?:confused:

For us, the GF rooms have plenty of space as there are so many places to store things, and we like having the dressing area separate from the room for a little extra privacy.

Wood Nymph, jojomickey, k&a&c'smom, trishadono, BlueSkies And anyone else I might have missed-

Thanks so much for your kind words about taking kids to college. It was a tough, rough time but today I think I am ok.

All was well until time to leave her and she was standing on the curb... and her dad got choked up when he hugged her. That did it and I was a blubbering sobbing ugly cry mess all the way home. By the time we pulled into the garage we were both exhausted and DH went immediately inside and called her.:worried: I couldn't talk to her without crying so I let him do it.

I slept well---- this morning she called happy and in great spirits so I feel better.

I appreciate all of your comments and just knowing and hearing others experiences with the transition makes it easier on me.

Now on to thinking about packing for the Grand.... I leave in 6 days now and the suitcases are sitting empty on the floor. Hopefully all the stuff will make it into them before we head out!!!! :wave2:

PS- Trishadono-- congrats on the Anniversary trip!!!:cheer2:

trishadono - you just have GF trips booked all over the place!;) I'm so envious.:teeth:

I got annual passes this year and have been trying to get my monies worth:rotfl2:

That cheaptickets deal was awesome for November. Gf was cheaper than all the other deluxes... I HAD to stay there:rotfl:

I originally had booked VGF 12/19-24 but changing to 1/2-1/5 the price per night went down $600!!!! Went from :eek: to doable.

JoBird

Glad to hear you are feeling much better today. Even though it will be a not be the same without her, you can't take away the memories in your heart that you will always have! Think of it as a new chapter in your life , When my oldest son got married last year every time I walked by his room I cried thank god my daughter in law tolerates me:laughing: and He only lives 5 minutes away. He still comes to Disney with us every year and now I just found out I'm gonna be a grandmom OMG already planning our Disney trip with the new baby!!!!!!!!
Seeing Disney through the eyes of a child again I'm so lucky:cloud9:

JoBird

Glad to hear you are feeling much better today. Even though it will be a not be the same without her, you can't take away the memories in your heart that you will always have! Think of it as a new chapter in your life , When my oldest son got married last year every time I walked by his room I cried thank god my daughter in law tolerates me:laughing: and He only lives 5 minutes away. He still comes to Disney with us every year and now I just found out I'm gonna be a grandmom OMG already planning our Disney trip with the new baby!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! Being a grandma at Disney will be so wonderful! I love going there with little ones. It is sooooo magical!!

JoBird

YES! OMG--- congratulations!!:cheer2: That is so exciting and wonderful! I know you are thrilled to be able to take that baby to the Grand!!:cloud9: It will be so wonderful to have them so close to you, for you to spoil that little preciousness.

Okay so a question? I have never taken the monorail early to the MK. I'm trying to get there before park opening for an 8 am Breakfast at CRT. Anyone know what time the Resort monorail starts picking up at the GF? Thanks!

Thanks for the congrats!!!!!!

I would think the monorail would have to run at least a half an hour before park opening because of that reason for the people who do have breakfast reservations there, maybe you could call down and ask but anyway , I hope you have a Magical vacation!!!!!!!

I got annual passes this year and have been trying to get my monies worth:rotfl2:

That cheaptickets deal was awesome for November. Gf was cheaper than all the other deluxes... I HAD to stay there:rotfl:

I originally had booked VGF 12/19-24 but changing to 1/2-1/5 the price per night went down $600!!!! Went from :eek: to doable.

Aww, don't tell me I missed a great deal?!?:sad: Sounds like it must have been a good one, we once hit on an Orbitz deal at just the right time. LOL about going from :eek: to doable.

Annual passes are a dangerous thing, aren't they?;) My max was 4 trips in one year - I know there are many who go even more than that.

JoBird

Congrats on the news of a grandbaby!:cutie: What a wonderful thing your son still vacations with you, have fun planning for the new arrival.

Okay so a question? I have never taken the monorail early to the MK. I'm trying to get there before park opening for an 8 am Breakfast at CRT. Anyone know what time the Resort monorail starts picking up at the GF? Thanks!

Well, in my mind I think of the monorail as starting at 7:00 am - but is that accurate? We don't get up early and hit the parks at rope drop much any more, so I'm sort of out of the loop.:laughing: In years past, we've had 8:00 am CP reservations and used the monorail - but now they have cut monorail hours, I'm just not sure.

More hugs for you.:hug: I'm glad you are a bit better today, your story brought tears to my eyes. I remember what it felt like to leave my kids behind. It does get better.

Enjoy your packing, if you can. Hope you have a magical trip, though it may feel strange.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter