Have there been changes to DAS since 2018?

Blanche_Neige

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip with my Autistic 20 y old son. In the pass we obtain a DAS when we arrived at the park ever had an issue, how does it work now?

In general, it works the same now as in 2018. The 3 biggest changes at both WDW and Disneyland are:

1) Guests can either register for DAS at the theme parks (Guest Relations or Guest Experience Umbrellas) OR register ahead of time using video chat (Between 30 and 2 days before your first park visit)

2) Guests registering by video chat can prearrange 2 DAS Advance Selections in connection with the video chat. These are separate from DAS Return Times and don’t need to be used before making a DAS Return Time. Unlike Return Times, they have a 1 hour window for use.

3) DAS Return Times can be obtained in the My Disney Experience app by you or anyone linked to the DAS. Guests can still obtain DAS Return Times at the attraction or from CMs at Guest Relations/Guest Experience umbrellas.

This is a link to a thread with the updated info about DAS at WDW. There is no need to read more than the first post - the rest is discussion and questions/answers starting from before the changes rolled out.

This is a link to the WDW website info about DAS. This includes link for video chat.
This is a link to Disneyland website info about DAS. Includes link for video chat.

Disney also has a Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities that was published since your last visit. WDW and DL each have 2 resources. One is general info and the other is ride specific like loud noise, periods of darkness, etc.
Link to WDW Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.
Link to WDW Attraction Details for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.

Link to Disneyland Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.
Link to Disneyland Attraction Details for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.

In general, it works the same now as in 2018. The 3 biggest changes at both WDW and Disneyland are:

1) Guests can either register for DAS at the theme parks (Guest Relations or Guest Experience Umbrellas) OR register ahead of time using video chat (Between 30 and 2 days before your first park visit)

2) Guests registering by video chat can prearrange 2 DAS Advance Selections in connection with the video chat. These are separate from DAS Return Times and don’t need to be used before making a DAS Return Time. Unlike Return Times, they have a 1 hour window for use.

3) DAS Return Times can be obtained in the My Disney Experience app by you or anyone linked to the DAS. Guests can still obtain DAS Return Times at the attraction or from CMs at Guest Relations/Guest Experience umbrellas.

This is a link to a thread with the updated info about DAS at WDW. There is no need to read more than the first post - the rest is discussion and questions/answers starting from before the changes rolled out.

This is a link to the WDW website info about DAS. This includes link for video chat.
This is a link to Disneyland website info about DAS. Includes link for video chat.

Disney also has a Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities that was published since your last visit. WDW and DL each have 2 resources. One is general info and the other is ride specific like loud noise, periods of darkness, etc.

Sue - you have so much more patience than I do for these questions! It's all in the sticky at the top of this page, but I feel no one sees it? Can it be highlighted with glowing lights and sparkles?

Sue - you have so much more patience than I do for these questions! It's all in the sticky at the top of this page, but I feel no one sees it? Can it be highlighted with glowing lights and sparkles?
My apologies if I annoyed you…. You are right I did not see it at the top. I haven’t been at the parks for that matter or this forum since 2018. The forum has changed a lot, I’m just getting used to the way it looks now.
Have a magical evening 😊

Thank you so much for the information
I was hearing contradicting info.

My apologies if I annoyed you…. You are right I did not see it at the top. I haven’t been at the parks for that matter or this forum since 2018. The forum has changed a lot, I’m just getting used to the way it looks now.
Have a magical evening 😊
No problem.
that post is very complete, but it’s not very concise. I wish there WAS so way to make some of the posts stuck to the top a little more ‘sparkly’ - LOL
Thank you so much for the information
I was hearing contradicting info.
Which park are you going to?
My family has been to WDW 5 times since it re-opened. 4 of them were after the DAS changes in October 2021.

Curious what conflicting information you had heard?

No problem.
that post is very complete, but it’s not very concise. I wish there WAS so way to make some of the posts stuck to the top a little more ‘sparkly’ - LOL

Which park are you going to?
My family has been to WDW 5 times since it re-opened. 4 of them were after the DAS changes in October 2021.

Curious what conflicting information you had heard?
The last time I was there we didn’t use the DAS wasn’t with us. I used to GAC and one year it had changed to a sign up for 1 ride at a time, like fast pass. We had to sign up with cast member.

I was told recently they didn’t give out DAS for autism, someone else told me we needed medical note. Then I heard you needed to book in advance via video conference only.

I am not familiar with the new genie + system. Someone that went recently that all the passes were gone, you could reserve them ahed of time. The waits were horribly long. But I don’t know if she knew how anything work or if she even planed. We always preferred using fast pass over GAC/DAS. Only used it as last resort.

I’m trying to figure out if I can plan for January or if I am too late. Or Maybe I should wait for January 2024

The last time I was there we didn’t use the DAS wasn’t with us. I used to GAC and one year it had changed to a sign up for 1 ride at a time, like fast pass. We had to sign up with cast member.

I was told recently they didn’t give out DAS for autism, someone else told me we needed medical note. Then I heard you needed to book in advance via video conference only.

I am not familiar with the new genie + system. Someone that went recently that all the passes were gone, you could reserve them ahed of time. The waits were horribly long. But I don’t know if she knew how anything work or if she even planed. We always preferred using fast pass over GAC/DAS. Only used it as last resort.

I’m trying to figure out if I can plan for January or if I am too late. Or Maybe I should wait for January 2024
Good thing you came here.
There is some little, tiny bit of truth that DAS isn’t given out for autism. DAS isn’t actually given out for any specific diagnosis or condition. The reason is that not everyone with the same diagnosis has the same issues - some need DAS and others don’t.
Instead of diagnosis, guests are asked questions like, ‘what are your concerns with waiting in lines.’
Regarding medical notes - there have always been people out there saying guests needed a medical note, but they were never required and in most cases, the CM did/will refuse to look at them.
Disney is encouraging guests to do the advance video registration, but there will always be people who need or want to register once they get to a park.

Have a magical evening 😊
No apologies needed, ever! I'm sorry if you felt that way, and it wasn't very welcoming of me, so my apologies there as well. I forgot the forum changed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter