Haunted Mansion Refurb - Jan 21 to Late March/Early April

when does the official list of refurbishment come out? We finally locked in our dates, spring break, March 23-27. When we went in 2014 Indy and pirates and many others were closed down. If too many go down it’s a deal breaker for us. We have only been twice before so we don’t go often. I was hoping spring break wouldn’t have many refurbishments since it’s a busy time.

That's the thing. With Disneyland they just let us know a few weeks or a month or 2 out. So you drop all this money and then BANG - Vacation ruined. I'm really infuriated about this.

Well that is irritating! This is the first trip my younger 2 will be riding anything. They were both too scared for anything except the monorail last time! We have been watching YouTube videos together and getting excited. Indy is on the top of their list.

Spring break?

I mean, January and February I get. And sometimes refurbs do take more than a cleaning and fixing. But 4 rides (and I'd bet my paycheck there will be more) at one time? Any time of year, that's just complete disregard for the guest.

Unfortunately, it has to be done sometime during the year and winter/spring is usually when they do their refurbishments. Summer, Halloween, and Christmas seem to be the most prioritized times of year to have everything up and running.

I don’t think Disney wants to impact anyone’s experience in a negative way but rather than spread a list out throughout the year and do one at a time- they want to try and get it all done at once during that time of year so everything’s a go for summer and the holidays.

If they did spread it out and did one at a time, people would complain. Doing it all at once, people complain. There’s really no winning for them on this one. And the reason guests can get so many discounts in the spring is because they try a little to compensate for that inconvenience. The discounts last year for Spring travel were great but again, I can’t deal with refurbishments so we waited until summer and Christmas. I totally get the frustration.

Last edited:
it's a crap way to treat people.
True. But it happens in the spring E*V*E*R*Y year. Nothing unexpected here. I'm totally sympathetic to your cause, I'm not local, and we've been disappointed by closures countless times in the spring. Case and point, we've made 9 trips to DL in the last 8 years, but we've never been able to ride GRR, it's been closed every single trip. Through all the closures, (and they've been biggies...Space, Splash, Pirates, Indy, the Castle, the entire river, Matterhorn, etc...) we've always managed to have tons of fun!

Unfortunately, it has to be done sometime during the year and winter/spring is usually when they do their refurbishments. Summer, Halloween, and Christmas seem to be the most prioritized times of year to have everything up and running.

I don’t think Disney wants to impact anyone’s experience in a negative way but rather than spread a list out throughout the year and do one at a time- they want to try and get it all done at once during that time of year so everything’s a go for summer and the holidays.

If they did spread it out and did one at a time, people would complain. Doing it all at once, people complain. There’s really no winning for them on this one. And the reason guests can get so many discounts in the spring is because they try a little to compensate for that inconvenience. The discounts last year for Spring travel were great but again, I can’t deal with refurbishments so we waited until summer and Christmas. I totally get the frustration.

That makes sense...The big discounts in spring are a great compensation for the inconvenience, and make it possible for visitors to come who might not be able to afford it otherwise.

I'm normally a summer traveler, as well, so I've been lucky enough not to experience rides being down for an extended period. The Food & Wine Festival had me considering an additional trip, but I'd really feel the loss of HM specifically. I literally ride it every day of my trips.

I may still go after I've let it sink in, but I completely sympathize with those of you who have already made travel purchases. This ride being down is a difficult one for me.

come on.... really another refurb..and this is my husbands whole reason for finely going on his bday- HM won't be that freaking stinking overlay for 6months out of the year...oh now its another ride down for our trip end Feb beginning March wtfrack....grrrrr

The refurb calendar is out until the 16th of january and it doesn't say anything about indy being closed.

Of course not. Who would travel there if they knew 4 rides were closed at the same time?

Just got off the phone with Get Away Today where we bought tickets from and she said what we already knew, that Disneyland has a very bad reputation for announcing refurbs late. Whatever. I'll get a refund and head down to Florida. Even with all the construction going on there, at least we can rest easy knowing they won't announce closures 3 weeks in advance.

Last edited:
The refurb calendar is out until the 16th of january and it doesn't say anything about indy being closed.

We know Indy is going down for an extended refurb in 2020, they just haven’t announced when. I find it hard to believe they don’t know exactly what those dates will be. They just choose to only announce 4-6 weeks out. I think it’s because they know many people already have flights, tickets, etc and won’t be able to easily reschedule. But maybe that’s too cynical?

We know Indy is going down for an extended refurb in 2020, they just haven’t announced when. I find it hard to believe they don’t know exactly what those dates will be. They just choose to only announce 4-6 weeks out. I think it’s because they know many people already have flights, tickets, etc and won’t be able to easily reschedule. But maybe that’s too cynical?

No. It's spot on accurate and it positively sucks.

So what date in january are people saying indy will go down?

No one knows. Indy’s 25th anniversary is March 4, 2020. So I figure they will either try to do the refurb before that date to have it in good shape, or they won’t be able to do the refurb that quickly and don’t want the ride closed for the anniversary, and will start after March 4. But that is just me speculating.

I get that refurbs are needed and the end result is worth it but what I can’t stand is the vague timelines that seem to linger. I find it hard to believe Disney can’t narrow down dates and just let guests know that from this date to this date said attraction will be closed.

I get that refurbs are needed and the end result is worth it but what I can’t stand is the vague timelines that seem to linger. I find it hard to believe Disney can’t narrow down dates and just let guests know that from this date to this date said attraction will be closed.
This is my issue. We debated between a few different weeks when to go and finally just had to decide because we are only like six weeks away from our trip and I didn’t want to miss the good hotel rate. Like just tell us the schedule in advance.

I totally understand the frustration. But the attractions eventually do need to be refurbished. I bet that Indy goes down for refurb on 1/21...the day after the opening weekend of Rise of the Resistance at DL...and I bet it comes back online before the 25th anniversary in early March.

The bottom line is we all get it. Everything needs a refurb. But there is absolutely no reason to not let people know the schedule a few months in advance. To tell people 1 month out "Oh yeah, the Haunted Mansion will be closed when you're here" is crap. They charge way too much money for such a thoughtless and careless attitude.

I hope indy opens before March 3erd like even a few days before, or it closes after the 25th. Then we'd have at least one of our favs. man HM is still a huge sting. But we went through a list of new stuff for us to see and how it will still be a good trip. remember any day at Disney is better then a day at home or work or school lol

Ah bummer! The Boy has been excited to ride this one. But, our trip literally is “late March/early April” (3-30 to 4-3). Maybe we will get lucky. That stinks for those who will miss it though!

Is Disney likely to give more precise dates later, or is this as good as it gets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!