Has anyone packed a streaming device?

lishie

Earning My Ears
We're checking in at Aulani next month. I know the rooms have DVD players, but my husband was thinking about packing either our Roku or chromecast to hook into one of the TVs to allow the kids to watch a show or two before bed.

I was wondering if anyone has had success hooking them up. We've been hit or miss when we've packed them for other trips, and I don't want to bring them along and risk ruining them if they don't hook up because of the type of wifi the hotel uses.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Haven't in the past but we are bringing one next week - an Apple TV.

I'm not sure if it would work, since you have to click "accept" on the term of use for the wifi, and these types of devices don't often allow for that.

What about an HDMI cable to attach to phone or laptop and stream that way? Anyone ever tried that?

What about an HDMI cable to attach to phone or laptop and stream that way? Anyone ever tried that?
Yes this will work as long as you have access to an HDMI port on the back of hotel TV. I have seen some hotels mount their TVs to the wall with a low profile mount and a small padlock so TV cannot be removed.

I have used Apple TV many times when traveling and it works well. Only problem is some free wifi at hotels is too slow stream HD content without constant buffering. You can also hotspot off of your smartphone LTE service but this could get expensive depending on your data plan.

Our favorite device for streaming content is a wireless hard drive. It's technically not "streaming" because the content is already loaded onto the hard drive. It has 2TB memory which is enough to store hundreds of preloaded movies. It can wirelessly stream different content to different devices. We like this because each kid can watch different content. This works especially well on airplanes. Even when not seated together we can all access wireless hard drive with each of our phone/tablet from anywhere on the plane.

We actually used one of these at our lakehouse, but I've never thought about traveling with it. I'm sure most of the day we'll be busy, but the idea of letting the kids wind down with a favorite show at bedtime is appealing.

I have had no luck getting a chromecast to work with a public wifi connection. But it has been awhile since I tried.

I don't have a roku and don't know how they work. But I often watch tv shows via wifi on my iPad via Netflix or Amazon prime. I also have the infinity app. We have infinity cable here in Illinois and using our account information we can sign in and watch lots of shows. We have been to Aulani several times and I find the wifi very good in the rooms.

I'm not sure if it would work, since you have to click "accept" on the term of use for the wifi, and these types of devices don't often allow for that.
Interesting point. How about if you establish an ad-hoc wifi network with your computer and then airstream to the device?

I small portable (and cheap) device such as a HooToo Tripmate, which creates it's own wifi bubble and connects to the hotel's wifi, would allow you to use a Chromecast or Apple TV when travelling (I know this as this is exactly what I use).
http://amzn.com/B00HZWOQZ6

Yes we routinely pack and AppleTV with us. We have used it at Aulani with great success. Specifically the Disney WiFi at Aulani does not require you click "accept" or any other process. You just join the network and it is "on."

Aloha!

Good to know @Matt Velure thanks. We're bringing an AppleTV with us. We leave tomorrow morning!

Here now and can report that an AppleTV works with the Aulani WiFi, with just a couple of exceptions: We couldn't get "home sharing" to work and also couldn't get AirPlay (from a computer to the AppleTV) to work. However, it worked just fine for things like netflix and HBO Go.

Here now and can report that an AppleTV works with the Aulani WiFi, with just a couple of exceptions: We couldn't get "home sharing" to work and also couldn't get AirPlay (from a computer to the AppleTV) to work. However, it worked just fine for things like netflix and HBO Go.

As a follow-up, I neglected to mention that we also pack an Apple Airport Express that we plug into the ethernet jack. This allows us to create our own wifi network as well as airplay, etc. Sorry I forgot that! :)

As a follow-up, I neglected to mention that we also pack an Apple Airport Express that we plug into the ethernet jack. This allows us to create our own wifi network as well as airplay, etc. Sorry I forgot that! :)
Ethernet jack!?!

I know you are referring to Aulani, but does anyone know if resort rooms at WDW have Ethernet jacks? Specifically CSR?

Our favorite device for streaming content is a wireless hard drive. It's technically not "streaming" because the content is already loaded onto the hard drive. It has 2TB memory which is enough to store hundreds of preloaded movies. It can wirelessly stream different content to different devices. We like this because each kid can watch different content. This works especially well on airplanes. Even when not seated together we can all access wireless hard drive with each of our phone/tablet from anywhere on the plane.

Ooh, this sounds cool. Would you let me know what device you use? How do you "see" it from your phone/tablet? Would it work with an iPad?

Ooh, this sounds cool. Would you let me know what device you use? How do you "see" it from your phone/tablet? Would it work with an iPad?

Sure. Here's the one I have:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

You can choose either 1TB or 2TB depending on how much memory you want. It broadcasts a wireless signal in the same way your wireless router at home does (although it does not provide internet connectivity, only access to content that is stored on the WD My Passport) and it is password protected so only those that know the password can connect to it. It works well with our iPads. You can connect up to 8 different devices at a time.

Just an FYI, it doesn't come with any sort of case to protect it. I decided to pick up a small generic camera case for around $10~$15 to keep it in along with it's charging cord.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter