Has anyone heard any rumblings about Tim Burton doing Mary Poppins?

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
Saw something about it on Facebook today (labeled Poppins), and starring, you guessed it, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Showed a release date of 2016.
I'm a big Tim Burton fan so to me this could be awesome!

10152571_741952749177695_1903144966_n.jpg

Nothing showing on IMDB. There is a "spoof" on youtube, but it's a take-off of Sweeney Todd.

Now if this WAS a real release, I'm there! :thumbsup2

I love a lot of his things, but I could not even bring myself to watch one minute of his Dark Shadows. And that was just a ruination of a campy 70s TV show. Heads will explode over whatever he does to Mary Poppins.

Nothing showing on IMDB. There is a "spoof" on youtube, but it's a take-off of Sweeney Todd.

Now if this WAS a real release, I'm there! :thumbsup2

So it was a spoof? How I wish Dark Shadows had just been a joke. Really, my biggest complaint about it was that he could have done amazing things with the "bones" of Dark Shadows. But he took the cheap, easy laugh route and wasted a great opportunity.

I can't find anything to verify it either. My dd is a Burton fanatic, I think if it were real, she would have told me about it. Just for the record, it would be a bad idea, you can't remake perfection :-).

And yes, I wish Dark Shadows had just been a joke, although it pretty much was LOL.

The spoof was on Sweeney Todd.

I just watched it, not even so much a spoof as just footage combined with some music overlay. Kinda strange and disturbing, unless you like your Mary Poppins looking like death, and your Burt wielding a cleaver instead of a chimney brush.

Saw something about it on Facebook today (labeled Poppins), and starring, you guessed it, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Showed a release date of 2016.

Somehow I have a hard time believing PL Traver's estate would grant rights to somebody as dark as Tim Burton.

Here is a youtube video from 2010 that satirizes what Burton would do to Poppins, starring Depp and Carter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OuxHR0JQg

And at DisneyTrivia on Tumbler, they said somebody made a poster (the one above) and pretty much debunk the idea:

http://disneytrivia.tumblr.com/

P L Travers was very protective. Just before she passed away she was negotiating with regards to the stage rights for Mary Poppins. She was very explicit that No Americans could be involved in the development of the musical. She reluctantly agreed that some of the Sherman Brothers songs could be used, but new songs etc. must not be done by non-Americans.

I would assume that she left her estate similar instructions and if they are honoring her wishes, they would never allow an American director, like Tim Burton, to get the rights.

I'm of the opinion that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be.
Please don't mess with Mary Poppins:wizard:

Has anyone seen the episode of Green Acres called "Sprained Ankle, Country Style?"
There is a part where Oliver is watching tv and after the commercials, the main feature comes on: Frankenstein Meets Mary Poppins

It has nothing to do with Frankenstein or Mary Poppins but is hilarious!

Somehow I have a hard time believing PL Traver's estate would grant rights to somebody as dark as Tim Burton.

Have you seen the musical version of Mary Poppins? I actually found that really dark...the hypnotic powers, the creepy toys, Mary Poppins murdering the other nanny! It's actually one of the few musicals I've hated (and I loved the movie).

Have you seen the musical version of Mary Poppins? I actually found that really dark...the hypnotic powers, the creepy toys, Mary Poppins murdering the other nanny! It's actually one of the few musicals I've hated (and I loved the movie).

I saw a stage version of Mary Poppins but it was like the movie. They added an extra song through. I'd be curious to see the one you saw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter