Has anyone ever tied a stroller to the roof of an SUV??

labst60

DIS Veteran
We rented an regular SUV for upcoming stay (10 nights - 11 days for the rental car) and I got a great rate from Alamo - and it should be plenty of room for me, DH, DD3 and DD8months and all of our luggage - plus the 2 strollers that I insist we NEED (a maclaren quest and a maclaren twin techno -WHY I feel we need two strollers is probably a whole other post - but DD3 hates riding in the stroller most of the time - but there are going to be times we she doesn't have a choice and times when it would be okay to not have the "control" of buckling her the stroller - so I'd rather not have to push a double with one child).

ANYWAY - "last minue", we decided to invite my MIL and I'm kind of concerned about fitting an extra adult PLUS her luggage in the car with ALL our luggage (I don't travel light!!!) AND my two strollers!

I'd hate to have to tell MIL she can't come because there won't be room in the car w/ my two strollers (just kidding of course!!!) but seriously, I was thinking if I brought some twine and a plastic tarp, I could always just tie the strollers (which will be in protective cases - would protect both the stroller AND the car) to the roof rack and tie the plastic tarp on in case of rain.

I"d only have to worry about this on the way TO SSR - MIL is leaving earlier than us - and the SUV is plenty of room to/from the parks with one stroller and the diaper bags.

I am thinking this is a viable option - moreso than paying the $200ish it seems to "upgrade" to the minivan at this point (SUV rental is $277 including all taxes/fees and me as a 2nd driver).

Is there anything I am not thinking of that would make this not work???

The big things is that the rental agents are going to SEE you doing this and in most cases it's a violation of the rental agreement. I have no idea how strict they are on enforcing that....

Oh - thanks Carol - I had NO IDEA that you couldn't secure something on the roof racks of a rental car!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

Keep in mind lots of them don't have roof racks.

And you might check with your rental agency. I happen to know that on Hertz you can't do this because I actually read it one day. (I was apparently bored and read the tiny print on "things you can't do with a rental car" No offroading, no going to Mexico without warning them and paying a ton of money, no running a taxi service, no towing, no sticking things on the roof and so on.....)

We have a van with a roof rack and we have tied a stroller to it. My husband used bungee cords to tie it down. I'm sure it is easier than using twine.

Perhaps you should consider shipping down a box of your lighter-weight bulkier items ahead of time, perhaps even two. That will clear some space for your added passenger and her stuff.

If you are staying on-site, perhaps part of your party can take the ME to the resort?

With or without the child still in it?

;)

Y'all know the wink means I'm kidding. Right?

Nope, I thought you meant it ;) , I thought maybe you had ridden with my daughter in a car :headache: . After about 10 miles she is DONE :scared: ! The roof rack is often a thought...just can't bring myself to do it.
(But the roof is too high for me to reach! :lmao:)

:rolleyes1 Sheli

Nope, I thought you meant it ;) , I thought maybe you had ridden with my daughter in a car :headache: . After about 10 miles she is DONE :scared: ! The roof rack is often a thought...just can't bring myself to do it.
(But the roof is too high for me to reach! :lmao:)

:rolleyes1 Sheli

That's what step ladders are for! :thumbsup2

Has anyone ever tied a stroller to the roof of an SUV??

No, but I think the Griswalds tied aunt Edna to the roof of their family truckster. ;) (Sorry, I could not help it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter