Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

Here are ours from our Sept 2014 trip.

We used paint pens bought from JoAnn Fabrics with 40% off coupons (black and white) for the tiger, argyle, and Minnie bands. The yellow band with birds was done using sharpies. We also used a thin tip sharpie to color in the Mickey head on the front. The argyle one used silver nail polish for the Mickey head.

After everything dried, we dabbed (not brushed) on topcoat. I tried brushing but it smeared my tiger stripes, though my sister claims it didn't smear her argyle. There is some confusion, though, whether she used basecoat or topcoat. We did not do anything to the bands before we started painting using the pens and markers.

We absolutely had to have the topcoat. Initial tests of us just rubbing our fingers along our bands made the paint come off. The topcoat protected them. After a hot and sweaty trip to Disney, our bands held up well; they were worn a bit where they clasped on our wrists from rubbing against our clothes, bags, etc but we expected that. The tops still looked great, though!

So I recently finally got around to finishing DH’s Magicband from our last trip. I am really proud of it and think it turned out better then the first one!

8b18668f-f06b-463a-8908-55a1e835f278_zps44c6c8f3.jpg

beb84bd9-dbac-493e-b043-e7ff7ccdfad7_zps4fa4e031.jpg

Once again like the first one I did, this one started off with a base of acrylic metallic blue paint and then I added the decal from myfantasybands.com and then finished it off with a high gloss acrylic sealer.​

I went for simple, with a little bit of sparkle!

I used white, silver and glitter nail polish for the Mickey heads.

The Swarovski crystal gems were attached with a jewelers cement of sorts that I purchased at a local craft store.

I bought the name decal on Etsy, here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/212059...decal&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

It seems pretty solid, but I packed extras of all of the supplies, in case I need to touch it up.

I went for simple, with a little bit of sparkle!

I used white, silver and glitter nail polish for the Mickey heads.

The Swarovski crystal gems were attached with a jewelers cement of sorts that I purchased at a local craft store.

I bought the name decal on Etsy, here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/212059...decal&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

It seems pretty solid, but I packed extras of all of the supplies, in case I need to touch it up.

Oh love it! So pretty ! Thanks for linking the decal that you got !

I wanted to share the bands I made for our family in November. Our two little girls wanted Anna & Elsa, on the right end. Everyone else chose Avengers characters. Hubby was Hulk, oldest boy wanted Loki, middle boy Thor, youngest boy Iron Man and mine was Captain America. I painted all the Avengers, but used tattoos for the Frozen characters. I'm just not talented enough to draw people!

We check into our hotel on January 28th. Still have not received our bands, and I'm anxiously awaiting. I'm hoping to have time to paint all of them!
USPS tracking said they went from TN to NJ (where I love), then to Tampa, Florida! Has anyone else had his problem?

Finally getting around to posting ours! Well, some of ours, at least. I confess, for my Mom's MB (she picked blue,) I flat out nicked HockeyMom's incredible Cinderella Castle w/Tink design. It was perfect, and Mom loved it. (Thanks, HockeyMom!!) I'm not posting a pic of that one, because compared to HockeyMom's, mine looks like it was painted by one of those really talented elephants. But I'll show you the others!

First, my "technique." I prepped each MB with a coat of fingernail polish base coat (some cheap brand) and then let that dry completely. I am no great artist, but I'm not too bad when it comes to copying a design. I found some designs online that I liked, and tried using carbon copy paper to trace them onto the MB. This doesn't work very well, btw, but it gave me enough of an outline to work with. I used acrylic paints, which worked great! After I finished painting, I used an oil-based Sharpie paint pen to do the outlines, but I wasn't thrilled with that. It wasn't a consistent line. There were some blotches, but I'd probably use it again regardless. (Don't forget, oil can go over acrylic, but acrylic cannot go over oil.) Finished it all up with a Clear Coat Acrylic spray I found at Michael's for a nice gloss.

Picking Dad's design was easy. Eeyore is his spirit animal, so I found an online coloring page for Eeyore, shrank it until it fit the band, and outlined it with my not-so-great-carbon-paper-technique. Then just painted inside my (sorta) lines! (This is pre-acrylic spray.)

As for my and DH's design, he insisted on IronMan, and I've always liked Megara, and I found some awesome artwork by Mandie Manzano featuring both those characters. (Check this out! Seriously, the lady is uber talented!) DH's gray band didn't look bad, but he liked the background on Megara so much that he requested I do something else to IronMan. We settled on a "stormy" looking background.

(Note: I used a glow-in-the-dark nail polish for the eyes and arc reactor, but it was completely no-glow at any point. Not even under black lights. Maybe the sealer interfered with the glow? Might have worked better with an actual G-I-T-D paint...)

Megara was initially a yellow band, but you couldn't really see any of the yellow when I got done. Which was the point!

We used them for our seven day trip, and they held up fabulously. The only casualty was my DH's band. He wears a lot of sunscreen and tends to cross his arms a lot, and we think that's why the gloss coating on his MB was completely gone by Day 5 or 6. None of the other bands had any problems. If I'd had some clear fingernail polish, I could have re-coated on the go, but as I hadn't packed any of that, I re-sprayed when we got home. So lesson learned -- take clear fingernail polish!!

(P.S. We also used some little BitBelts I found online to keep our MB secure, and we highly recommend them! No problems, no worries.)

This has been a long post, but I am so grateful for this thread and all the information! I had ridiculous amounts of fun planning and painting our bands, and my hubby is already picking out designs for next time! We got all kinds of comments, especially from Cast Members. Our concierge lady at Pop Century even asked if she could borrow the bands and take pictures for some Cast Member publication of some sort. Good times! Thanks, friends! :wave2:

We have twenty bands....well, 16 so far, but 4 more are on the way. These are the latest ones. They arrived this evening and I was able to get them done in about two hours. I really like how they turned out.

10389486_10204998190947806_4766940756568982253_n.jpg

My others. They aren't as amazing as I would like them to be, but they will be worn proudly this year.
"What you talkin' bout Wilis?" (Just came me when I read your post - haha)

I think you did a great job and those bands are terrific!

Finally getting around to posting ours! Well, some of ours, at least. I confess, for my Mom's MB (she picked blue,) I flat out nicked HockeyMom's incredible Cinderella Castle w/Tink design. It was perfect, and Mom loved it. (Thanks, HockeyMom!!) I'm not posting a pic of that one, because compared to HockeyMom's, mine looks like it was painted by one of those really talented elephants. But I'll show you the others!

First, my "technique." I prepped each MB with a coat of fingernail polish base coat (some cheap brand) and then let that dry completely. I am no great artist, but I'm not too bad when it comes to copying a design. I found some designs online that I liked, and tried using carbon copy paper to trace them onto the MB. This doesn't work very well, btw, but it gave me enough of an outline to work with. I used acrylic paints, which worked great! After I finished painting, I used an oil-based Sharpie paint pen to do the outlines, but I wasn't thrilled with that. It wasn't a consistent line. There were some blotches, but I'd probably use it again regardless. (Don't forget, oil can go over acrylic, but acrylic cannot go over oil.) Finished it all up with a Clear Coat Acrylic spray I found at Michael's for a nice gloss.

Picking Dad's design was easy. Eeyore is his spirit animal, so I found an online coloring page for Eeyore, shrank it until it fit the band, and outlined it with my not-so-great-carbon-paper-technique. Then just painted inside my (sorta) lines! (This is pre-acrylic spray.)

As for my and DH's design, he insisted on IronMan, and I've always liked Megara, and I found some awesome artwork by Mandie Manzano featuring both those characters. (Check this out! Seriously, the lady is uber talented!) DH's gray band didn't look bad, but he liked the background on Megara so much that he requested I do something else to IronMan. We settled on a "stormy" looking background.

(Note: I used a glow-in-the-dark nail polish for the eyes and arc reactor, but it was completely no-glow at any point. Not even under black lights. Maybe the sealer interfered with the glow? Might have worked better with an actual G-I-T-D paint...)

Megara was initially a yellow band, but you couldn't really see any of the yellow when I got done. Which was the point!

We used them for our seven day trip, and they held up fabulously. The only casualty was my DH's band. He wears a lot of sunscreen and tends to cross his arms a lot, and we think that's why the gloss coating on his MB was completely gone by Day 5 or 6. None of the other bands had any problems. If I'd had some clear fingernail polish, I could have re-coated on the go, but as I hadn't packed any of that, I re-sprayed when we got home. So lesson learned -- take clear fingernail polish!!

(P.S. We also used some little BitBelts I found online to keep our MB secure, and we highly recommend them! No problems, no worries.)

This has been a long post, but I am so grateful for this thread and all the information! I had ridiculous amounts of fun planning and painting our bands, and my hubby is already picking out designs for next time! We got all kinds of comments, especially from Cast Members. Our concierge lady at Pop Century even asked if she could borrow the bands and take pictures for some Cast Member publication of some sort. Good times! Thanks, friends! :wave2:

Great job! I love your Iron Man especially. He is my DD's favorite. One of the first bands I did was an Avengers band for her. She wore it for months until one of the tabs broke off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter