Has anyone changed their opinion of SSR?

SaratogaShan

DIS Veteran
Hey,

One more SSR thread is exactly what we needed, right? ;)

I see a lot of posts from folks who don't like SSR very much who have never actually stayed there. This made me wonder.........Has anyone changed their minds after staying? Did you form an opinion of the resort based on a tour or quick visit and then had a vacation different from what you expected (good or bad)?

So tell me....what was your expectation before your first stay, and how has your opinion changed now?

Shan :sunny:

My opinion was based on 8 years of previous stays at OKW. I actually thought SSR had very nice furnishings etc, and was well appointed. I also liked the small town look of the common areas and thought the themeing was well carried out. What I didn't like had more to do with what I like about OKW that was missing at SSR. I didn't feel the resort was as vacation home like as I expected it to be, but is more like a bunch of condos in a hotel. I still felt like I was walking to a parking lot instead of parking outside my door like I do at OKW. I disliked the door arrangement, but that is what I dislike about all the non-OKW DVC units.

I actually was adamant when we approached our "guide" about buying that I only wanted BWV in February. Long story, bad info, but in the end, we bought SSR. We were able to get the F&F discount, and the extra 12 years.

I thought I couldn't get excitesome d about staying anywhere BUT the BWV's. I had stayed there before, it's an exciting place to be, and lots going on all the time.

Well, since buying our SSR, I have come to realize that the BWV's might have ssome different things to offer that the SSR doesn't, but the SSR also has things that are very attractive to my family. My boys are teenagers now, and although we love the parks, they are also looking for other ways to enjoy Disney. The DD access will give them that, plus some freedoms I wouldn't have been as comfortable with otherwise. Plus, the more quiet atmosphere will more relaxing when we aren't at the parks, and for those of us that are ADD about Disney, it's probably a very good thing to have a little distance so we can sleep in between parks! And then there is the golf course.

My DH loves golf. We can go to SSR and he can play a couple rounds of golf while I putter through the parks slowly, or play in the shops. This way we both get to do things we LOVE.

And the bed at the SSR was the most comfortable bed I've ever seen.

So I have changed my mind BEFORE I even get there to stay for our first trip home! I can't wait.

And we are adding on points - at the SSR. We'll get the new AP promo, and we'll have even more points to do our three short trips to WDW each year! :banana: :banana: :banana:

A win-win situation for us!

I'm trying to keep an open mind on SSR. On recent visits to the resort we were not impressed. However, we felt that way (sort of) about OKW until we stayed there. Now we think it's great!

My question is "why would I stay at a resort that doesn't appeal to me?" I don't see SSR ever having the opportunity to change my mind.

That doesn't mean it isn't a great resort for someone else. But it doesn't appeal to me. I try not to waste my time or money on things I don't find appealing when I have so much I want to do that IS appealing. Perhaps I'm missing something I'd really love, but I'm not regretting what I don't know.

crisi unless you book every dvc trip the next 30 years, 210+ days in advance, you WILL be staying at SSR. The numbers dictate this........

sorry.....

This is a good thread and a little different than the other stuff. I am of the belief that you cannot tell how you like a resort until you stay there. Regardless of knowing your vacation habits and styles, you still must stay to KNOW.

I recently stayed at OKW resort. I knew going in that it "wasn't my style". Our trip entailed 4 days at BCV, we then flew to Texas for 4 days, and then back to OKW for 2 before we flew home. I chose the 2 days at OKW, just t give it a try. I didn't think we would want to be there any longer than that. BOY WAS I WRONG! The resort just jumped up and grabbed me. I fell in love with the larger rooms, huge decks, tropical landscape and the friendly people working the resort. In this case my percieved notion of the resort would have been wrong.

SSR, of which I am an owner, was a different story. My guide had billed it as the best DVC Resort to date and that DVC had upped the ante so to speak. I went in expecting to love it. BOY WAS I WRONG. It just didn't do anything for us and everything about our stay seemed like a big hassle. Lots of concrete and parking lots is how my wife summed it up. Theme is a big part of why we like DVC and this resort has none IMO. I've stated time and again the specifics of what I don't like there so I won't go there.

Only time will tell how this plays out. I have a sick feeling in my stomach about this one.

DAVE

Daitcher,
Have you vacationed at SSR yet or did you just take the tour?

ETA: Dave, are you from Saratoga springs or is that B3 I am thinking of? I can understand the perception of a "lack of theming" if you are from the area.

SaratogaShan said:
Daitcher,

Yes, I did stay there in October of 2003 I believe. It had opened in May of 2003 or was it 2004? Anyway it was that fall after it opened. We had a room on the 3rd floor in the Congress Park Section overlooking the quiet pool and DTD, great view. It was "my first trip home" as a member.

DAVE

Dave, I'll ask again... Have you talked with your guide about your issues with your purchase? Or anyone at DVC?
Just curious to know if you have exhausted all avenues to discuss your displeasure.

SaratogaShan said:
Daitcher,

ETA: Dave, are you from Saratoga springs or is that B3 I am thinking of? I can understand the perception of a "lack of theming" if you are from the area.

Yes, I am from Saratoga Springs, NY. Great small town, great summer place, but worthy of a DVC theme??????? :confused3

DAVE

Daitcher said:
Yes, I did stay there in October of 2003 I believe. It had opened in May of 2003 or was it 2004? Anyway it was that fall after it opened. We had a room on the 3rd floor in the Congress Park Section overlooking the quiet pool and DTD, great view. It was "my first trip home" as a member.

DAVE

Hi just for info, resort opened in May 2004 you would have stayed there Oct 2004 about the same time as us also on 3rd floor but with partial view of lake and DTD.
We personally found it wonderful but could not compare as it was our first DVC resort

I want to ask people this question:

If SSR is where BWV is, would you love SSR? And if BWV is where SSR is, would you still praise so high about BWV?

sagwanamu said:
I want to ask people this question:

If SSR is where BWV is, would you love SSR? And if BWV is where SSR is, would you still praise so high about BWV?

good question......

I will say having SSR within 10 min (walking) of epcot, and a 15 min boat ride to MGM, would sure help. I can get what DD has to offer in any city.

Also put 10 places to eat within 8 min (walking) of SSR and that would help too.

Throw in the firworks everynight, and the boardwalk.......

Yes SSR would be "ok" if it was 1/4 it's size, and was on the boardwalk.

But what's the point...........

It isn't.

Tinky said:
Dave, I'll ask again... Have you talked with your guide about your issues with your purchase? Or anyone at DVC?
Just curious to know if you have exhausted all avenues to discuss your displeasure.

Sorry if you've asked this before. Talking with my guide isn't an option, I fear I would choke the guy through the phone if I did. :furious: What gripe can I call DVC with? It would all be heresay. My guide didn't give me the hard sell, so I can't go that route. Also I bought in before the SSR plans were expanded. That is the real problem here. Forget all else for a second. How is it fair to buy into a resort at one size only to have it switched to almost double what you bought into? Also is it fair to have a program where most of the resorts are on the small side and then add an enormous resort in less than ideal location with less than ideal features? This goofyguy on another thread (I'm not name calling, that's his screen name) made me see the light here. For now I can be considered a happy DVC owner. I do not regret my purchase at all. I've been able to spread my drunken self around to many of the DVC Resorts. Heck I'm hitting BCV, BWV, VB, OKW, VWL this year alone. 7 months is still working for me. It is when SSR is sold out that I fear. DVC had a responsibility here to keep SSR a similiar size to the other DVC Resorts. By going over board they have done us all a disservice. Plan ahead or SSR will be your only option.

DAVE

boatboatboat said:
lord Dave how many pts you got?

Really not that many, 350 SSR points. We take advantage of the Sun. -Thursday points. Also we usually book one bedrooms, sometimes 2 bedrooms. We are also in a constant state of borrowing. This small point allotment has worked well for us because we travel other places as well. Next year I'll rent points because right now I only have 68 2007 points left. We are moving in the fall so I won't need any then but next year I'll bank those 68 and rent. 2008 I'll be caught up. We have 5 days in a 2 bedroom at VB followed by 3 days in a 2 bedroom at VWL coming up in May ( 7th-15th) We've already stayed at BCV in a studio for 2 days on cash, 4 days in BCV 1 bedroom on points and 2 days at OKW on points. Ohyeah the BWV, actually that isn't my stay, I booked 5 days coming up for my brother as a Christams gift. It is an all expenses paid thing. I did airfare, rental car, BWV studio, 3 day MYW PH tickets for him and his girlfriend, and $500 spending money.

I'm considering a 450+ add on at VB in the fall to have the 11 month boking on those Beach Cottages there. They are the best thing going at any DVC Resort. We had one for a week this past October, I'm sold on these.

DAVE

Ohyeah the BWV, actually that isn't my stay, I booked 5 days coming up for my brother as a Christams gift. It is an all expenses paid thing. I did airfare, rental car, BWV studio, 3 day MYW PH tickets for him and his girlfriend, and $500 spending money.

DAVE

DAVE[/QUOTE]
Dave, no good deed goes unpunished. And that is a VERY GOOD deed. Hope your brother has a nice trip.

Dave, no good deed goes unpunished. And that is a VERY GOOD deed. Hope your brother has a nice trip.

I know I will.

Dave is the best.

I don't care what dad says........

boatboatboat said:

I know I will.

Dave is the best.

I don't care what dad says........

WELLLLL..........THAT explains alot! :rotfl2:

facebook twitter