Harry Potter: read the book or wait one year for the play?

zavandor

DIS Veteran
A question for all Potterheads: yesterday I've secured a ticket to see the new West End play, but it's in July 2017, nearly one year from now! Also, yesterday I've received the book as well.
Should I wait and see the play with no spoiler, or should I read the book now?
I've read in reviews that the story can be difficult to follow at times and I'm Italian, my English is improving but there's a chance I might miss some key parts. On the other end, it must be incredible to see the play and be really surprised.
What would you do?

I read all the books before watching the films. I did the same with Twilight and Hunger Games too. This Im a bit not sure about. I'm going to wait a while before getting the book. Im going to London before Christmas so Im going to see if I can get a ticket for the play. If I cant get to see the play I will get the book as Im not sure when I will get back to London.

Wait, IMO I read it (no trips planned right now) and wished I didn't.

The play is apparently lovely, but reading it was a let down. I love theater and could imagine on stage it would work, the written word not so much IMO.

The difference between the previous books and twilight, hunger games etc, is those were books made into moves, in this case you are reading a script, just the dialogue nothing else (a few seen setting lines but not much).

If you have tickets and can wait I would wait.

I've read better fanfiction than the play script. Very weak story line. But it is just a script (and the first version at that). I believe the play will be amazing - I can't imagine how they will achieve some of the effects described and the reviews of the play are very good.

So I don't think it will matter if you read it first as the play will still be amazing.

I think I'd rather wait and see the play first. Very envious of you securing a ticket!

Definitely wait! I saw the play in July and it's incredible. I seriously believe it is so much more powerful if you don't know what's coming!

I would 100% wait if i had the opportunity to see the play first!

I'm seeing both parts in January and I have decided to not read the book and I'm avoiding all spoiler articles. I've read a lot of negative comments about the book being too 'fan fiction-y' (I read HP fan fiction so that doesn't bother me) but I want to be wowed and form my own opinion.

It's super exciting waiting though I think - a year will pass quickly for you :)

I read the book, and I'm glad I did. I love reading scripts anyway, so it wasn't a bother for me, as I like to imagine how I'd stage things... I missed out on tickets in the last release, so might start trying for the Friday Forty once we're back from Florida... Personally, I've no regrets as seeing it in person isn't on the cards at the moment.

Off topic a bit but... will I have a problem securing a ticket for July/August 2017? Is this going to be Hamilton on Broadway part 2? My DD and I are dying to see it but i cannot book my trip overseas until I have my 2017 vacation approved. That will be into this fall sometime.

I read the book, but only because I dont have the option to see the play. I'd 100% wait, because I've heard the play was incredible but the book? meh.

Off topic a bit but... will I have a problem securing a ticket for July/August 2017? Is this going to be Hamilton on Broadway part 2? My DD and I are dying to see it but i cannot book my trip overseas until I have my 2017 vacation approved. That will be into this fall sometime.

As far as I know, it's sold out through to the end of 2017, unless I've misunderstood the ticket release information

Well that's damned depressing.

That's true, all sold out until December 2017. 7 months of availability sold out in just five hours. With only 4 full shows in a week, I don't think this is going to improve anytime soon.
But you have a chance, not something you can plan on, but a great surprise if it happens: every week they release 40 tickets for each show for the following week at a very low price (£40 in total). You can buy only two tickets and they sell out in seconds. Being able to buy is like winning the lotter, but it's worth a try the week before you leave. Look for Friday 40 on the play official website.

Thanks all for the feedback, I think I'm going to wait. And there is the new film to keep my addiction at bay :)

I had the same dilemma, I've got tickets for January 2017. I caved and read the book as I doubted I'd make it to then without spoilers.

That's true, all sold out until December 2017. 7 months of availability sold out in just five hours. With only 4 full shows in a week, I don't think this is going to improve anytime soon.
But you have a chance, not something you can plan on, but a great surprise if it happens: every week they release 40 tickets for each show for the following week at a very low price (£40 in total). You can buy only two tickets and they sell out in seconds. Being able to buy is like winning the lotter, but it's worth a try the week before you leave. Look for Friday 40 on the play official website.

Thanks all for the feedback, I think I'm going to wait. And there is the new film to keep my addiction at bay :)
Thanks for the input. I wonder what the resale market is like? Is it like Hamilton where you may be able to see the show if you sell your first born child? :rotfl2:

Thanks for the input. I wonder what the resale market is like? Is it like Hamilton where you may be able to see the show if you sell your first born child? :rotfl2:

The resell market is bad if not worse then Hamilton's. From my understanding at least with Hamilton there is an official resell so you know your tickets are 100% real and will get you into the show but with HP Cursed Child there is no official resell so you could plop all that money down and find out they are fake.

I haven't read the book/script, but I don't think it would spoil anything. The effects on stage are magnificent and the whole story comes to life in the actors hands.

Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter