Hard time believing some of the “pixie” dust upgrades

since 2002 I was upgraded only once, in 2020 from a studio to 1 bedroom at SSR. A friend got bumped to a 2 bedroom there also in 2020, and another to a 1 bedroom at AKV once, several years ago.

I was on another site and saw post after post of extraordinary pixedust upgrades: one person got dusted -studio RIV to the grand villa at RIV, another had a basic room AKL dusted to a 2BV. I’m sorta douting these wonderful upgrades happened. Of course everyone wants the same dusting. Could be, who knows. But with Dvc occupancy running high that’s why I’m doubtful
If we count the lockoffs separately, there are over 5500 DVC villas at Walt Disney World alone. The average length of stay is definitely under a week--perhaps much shorter when factoring in split stays. It's conceivable that there are 8000+ DVC check-ins occurring every week.

Whatever you hear about upgrades is truly a drop in the bucket compared to the number of parties arriving weekly.

DVC upgrades were fairly common in 2020 and 2021 due to pandemic-inspired reduced occupancy. We were upgraded once ourselves from a Studio to 1B in late 2020. It's more commonplace at newer resorts (Riviera) because many rooms are still earmarked for cash guests and not fully bookable thru the timeshare program. And cash guests likely get priority for any upgrades.

Anecdotally, people with shorter stays seem to get priority. If the resort is forced to upgrade someone, they'll do it for a 1-2 night stay before a 6-7 night stay. Upgrading to a better view probably happens more often than a larger villa. Many people probably don't even realize they've been assigned to a better room than they paid for.

For our 50th wedding anniversary we went on a DCL cruise and decided we wanted a one night stay at VGF, so I booked a studio there. We were upgraded to lake view two bedroom and were gifted a cake which we shared with some friends who were staying elsewhere.

For a few years, I kept the check out statement which showed the two bedroom with a charge of $0.

1653601112285.jpeg

Other times it may be you are late your room type is unavailable due to an issue.
Had a nice upgrade @ BCV once to a 1 BR after arriving late
I always read about room upgrades and most are 1-3 night stays.
The few we’ve received (and thankful for them all!), were 3 days or less. Believe they were all week days too
For our 50th wedding anniversary we went on a DCL cruise and decided we wanted a one night stay at VGF,
That Was so nice. I may just start to fill out special occasions on my reservations :)

Had a split stay Poly/starcruiser/AKL as our Welcome Home trip in March 2022. Mentioned that for the Poly part, nothing special happened, but AKL was upgraded from a 1-BR standard view at Kidani to a 2-BR savannah view at Kidani for our 1-night stay. Kids had fun playing hide-and-seek in that huge room.

We were upgraded from a VGF studio to the Sanibel Suite over at the main hotel for a two night stay. We had access to both club levels and they said it was due to plumbing issues. They offered it first to people staying in a 1 bedroom and they turned it down because they had groceries delivered. They apologized profusely and we were like why are you apologizing?!

Does being given an accessible room count as an upgrade?

Actually, I consider it being pixie dusted when we get into the room before 2 pm. Of course, we always check with a CM on the status of our room when we arrive at the resort. It can get the final inspection expedited.

Actually, I consider it being pixie dusted when we get into the room before 2 pm. Of course, we always check with a CM on the status of our room when we arrive at the resort. It can get the final inspection expedited.
I’m sure that it’s not a regular occurrence but I have been able to check into a room as early as 10:00. Luck I’m sure

Actually, if it was an upgrade, we were upgraded 4 out of our first 5 trips as members. The irony of it though is that we've been members for 20 years. Twenty years ago, no need for or desire for an accessible room. Twenty years later, I just booked my first accessible room b because I needed it. Maybe DVC was just thinking ahead 20 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter