• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Happy Independence Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 4th! No matter where we fall politically, we are still very lucky to live here. I think of all those living under total oppression (think North Korea, etc) and count my blessings. We all need to remember that and never take it for granted! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
This. 💯:thumbsup2🇺🇸

Keep political comments off this thread. Thank you.
or only those that you disagree with?
I was not offensive, nor did I insult any political party nor did I even mention a political party. I participated on a discussion thread and explained, as did others.... why I do not feel like celebrating the Fourth of July. It is just as 'political' as those who are all rah rah America or talking about the rights or lack of rights of other countries.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday celebrating your freedom.

I don’t feel any celebration this year. For most the USA’s history it’s felt like government-sanctioned inequality and discrimination was broadly decreasing, but I don’t feel that way now. The shining city on the hill is tarnishing, and the arc of morality isn’t bending as sharply toward justice.

or only those that you disagree with?
I was not offensive, nor did I insult any political party nor did I even mention a political party. I participated on a discussion thread and explained, as did others.... why I do not feel like celebrating the Fourth of July. It is just as 'political' as those who are all rah rah America or talking about the rights or lack of rights of other countries.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday celebrating your freedom.
The point of the thread is celebrating. If you don’t feel like saying something positive, that’s your right. But I’m tired of every thread I post someone posts a political comment (even if it’s indirect). I know there are many problems in our country. But today is about celebrating the creation of our nation, not repeating the problems within it. This thread is about the positive. Anyone who wants to talk about the issues in our country can start their own thread. Stop trying to start debate on mine. Thanks.

Last edited:
The point of the thread is celebrating. If you don’t feel like saying something positive, that’s your right. But I’m tired of every thread I post someone posts a political comments (even if it’s indirect). I know there are many problems in our country. But today is about celebrating the creation of our nation, not repeating the problems within it. This thread is about the positive. Anyone who wants to talk about the issues in our country can start their own thread. Stop trying to start debate on mine. Thanks.
And many of us don’t feel like celebrating. This country was problematic from the start. Our history and creation was stained and whitewashing the truth with red white and blue banners doesn’t change the reality. and it is tone deaf to blissfully wish a Happy Fourth and frankly I am ashamed of my ignorance in doing so in the past.

And many of us don’t feel like celebrating. This country was problematic from the start. Our history and creation was stained and whitewashing the truth with red white and blue banners doesn’t change the reality. and it is tone deaf to blissfully wish a Happy Fourth and frankly I am ashamed of my ignorance in doing so in the past.
Then why comment on the thread? The thread is about a positive feeling about the day, not bringing every negative up. I’m not disagreeing with your point. This is not the thread to voice it. The thread said “Happy Independence Day”, not talking about every issue someone can name. I’m not ignorant. I just want to avoid political/rights/inequality talk for 24 hours. Is that possible?

We really need to just divide our country in half. I don’t love a lot of things going in our country right now but I feel things will get better. Eventually. But some of these comments are disgusting.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…”

Happy Independence Day!!

I’m very happy & proud to be an American, & I’m very humbled by & grateful to all the men & women who have sacrificed so much for the freedom & liberties we enjoy as Americans.

Even in years when I may not agree w/ our country’s leaders, still, always…

“… My country 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty -
Of thee I sing!
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrim's pride,
From every mountainside
Let freedom ring!“

“God bless America, land that I love;
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above.
From the mountains to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam,
God bless America, my home sweet home!”

And, even though I’m very weary of all the fighting & divisions & really hate how it’s become so ”cool” to speak ill of our country, I’m still very proud to call America my home -

“West, on a plane bound west
I see her stretching out below
Land, blessed Mother Land
The place where I was born
Scars, yeah she's got her scars
Sometimes it starts to worry me
'Cause lose, I don't wanna lose
Sight of who we are
From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There's a way to find
Better days, I know
It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home
Free, nothing feels like free
Though it sometimes means
We don't get along
'Cause same, no we're not the same
But that's what makes us strong
From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There's a way to find
Better days, I know
Got a ways to go
That we all call home
Brave, gotta call it brave
To chase that dream across the sea
Names, then they signed their names
For something they believed
Red, how the blood ran red
We laid our dead in sacred ground
Just think, wonder what they'd think
If they could see us now

Got a ways to go
That we all call home

And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home…”

The point of the thread is celebrating. If you don’t feel like saying something positive, that’s your right. But I’m tired of every thread I post someone posts a political comment (even if it’s indirect). I know there are many problems in our country. But today is about celebrating the creation of our nation, not repeating the problems within it. This thread is about the positive. Anyone who wants to talk about the issues in our country can start their own thread. Stop trying to start debate on mine. Thanks.
Buzz, you don’t “own” the thread just because you started it. It’s not “my (your)”thread.

Posters can comment however they like as long as they don’t violate board rules.

Isn’t that one of the principles the US was founded on? Please chill.

Buzz, you don’t “own” the thread just because you started it. It’s not “my (your)”thread.

Posters can comment however they like as long as they don’t violate board rules.

Isn’t that one of the principals the US was founded on? Please chill.
The thread is about positive feelings though. I don’t disagree with their points. I just don’t want the thread to become about divisive points. I just wanted a happy thread. Too much to ask I guess. :confused3

I'm finding it very hard to celebrate, especially with what has been happening recently. I haven't felt patriotic in a long time but now I feel even less so. For those that do, more power to you. I'll just be enjoying the day off from work and spending time with my family rather than celebrate a country I don't particularly feel proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter