• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Happy Independence Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss when we all could just wish someone a happy holiday and could just accept the well meaning intentions regardless of personal interpretation. I just miss being civil to one another. I guess I’m too much of believer in humanity. 🥺 :confused3
It's still possible to be civil. Just because I am not celebrating doesn't mean no one else has to. You and everyone else have the right to be proud of this country but I also have the right to not be. I'm finding it harder and harder to with what has been happening recently (not going into any detail beyond that).

Buzz, it’s not you.

Thank you for trying to start a nice thread honoring our country‘s Independence Day.

There’s a time & place for everything, including times to be quiet & times to speak, but, regardless of the time & place, some people just really need to (& evidently feel better about themselves) when they voice their disagreements & grievances. And, again, it’s really hip & current to criticize our country - that’s just the way it is right now, even on the Fourth of July. Just ignore them.

As an American who loves her country, the best way I know to honor my country & help continue its greatness is to live in a manner worthy of those who have come before me, sacrificing their lives for the freedoms we enjoy today (& to teach my children likeswise).

(And, also, the Disboards really need an eye-rolling reaction.)

Last edited:

I do remember childhood Independence Day traditions. We’d weave red, white, and blue crepe paper in the spokes of our bicycle wheels. There was a bike parade to the local Little League field. Boys baseball and girls softball championship games were that day.

There were plenty of games and activities for both kids and adults, grilling food, lighting sparklers in the evening, etc.

It was fun.

Then why comment on the thread? The thread is about a positive feeling about the day, not bringing every negative up. I’m not disagreeing with your point. This is not the thread to voice it. The thread said “Happy Independence Day”, not talking about every issue someone can name. I’m not ignorant. I just want to avoid political/rights/inequality talk for 24 hours. Is that possible?
No. It’s really not.

I’m grateful we don’t sound like posh Harry Potters every time we speak.

I miss when we all could just wish someone a happy holiday and could just accept the well meaning intentions regardless of personal interpretation. I just miss being civil to one another. I guess I’m too much of believer in humanity. 🥺 :confused3
Well you were kind of rude to British people in the posted quote.

Happy 4th. At least six dead, 31 injured in shooting at a parade in Highland Park, IL. Sigh.
My point
Buzz, it’s not you.

Thank you for trying to start a nice thread honoring our country‘s Independence Day.

There’s a time & place for everything, including times to be quiet & times to speak, but, regardless of the time & place, some people just really need to (& evidently feel better about themselves) when they voice their disagreements & grievances. And, again, it’s really hip & current to criticize our country - that’s just the way it is right now, even on the Fourth of July. Just ignore them.

As an American who loves her country, the best way I know to honor my country & help continue its greatness is to live in a manner worthy of those who have come before me, sacrificing their lives for the freedoms we enjoy today (& to teach my children likeswise).

(And, also, the Disboards really need an eye-rolling reaction.)
its hip to criticize this country?! Hip? Wow. It must be nice to live in a bubble. This country needs work. My allegiance is to God, not a country. Until this country fulfills it’s potent of recognizing the worth and basic rights of every person, I will criticize no matter the day.

My point

its hip to criticize this country?! Hip? Wow. It must be nice to live in a bubble. This country needs work. My allegiance is to God, not a country. Until this country fulfills it’s potent of recognizing the worth and basic rights of every person, I will criticize no matter the day.
This thread is not the one to do it. If you wish to start a thread that points to every issue in our country, then be my guest and start one. But I’m asking you not to derail this one.

Well you were kind of rude to British people in the posted quote.
It’s a tradition that has gone both ways. If you look at some British media about today, they troll the US every Independence Day. It’s all in good fun. Brits consistently make fun of American accents. That is where my joke came from.

My point

And, my point.

From its very beginning, this country has needed work - there is not one country in the world that’s perfect or doesn’t need work or change.

Countries & their peoples grow & evolve & change, &, thankfully, through the wisdom & forethought of our forefathers - flawed as some now find them, progressive documents were created as a foundation that can grow & evolve & change along w/ our Constitutional Republic.

And, while I do not live in a bubble any more than anyone else does (but thanks for the ridicule), I do think it’s very current (hip, fashionable, popular, etc.) in today’s society for everyone to criticize & find fault w/ our country while patriotism & all the things that make America are great are belittled & ignored.

Additionally, I find it really sad if someone absolutely can‘t find anything at all for which to celebrate & be grateful on a national holiday honoring their country.

(And I think that one can very easily have allegiance to one’s God while also still holding an allegiance to & pride for one’s country.)

And, my point.

From its very beginning, this country has needed work - there is not one country in the world that’s perfect or doesn’t need work or change.

Countries & their peoples grow & evolve & change, &, thankfully, through the wisdom & forethought of our forefathers - flawed as some now find them, progressive documents were created as a foundation that can grow & evolve & change along w/ our Constitutional Republic.

And, while I do not live in a bubble any more than anyone else does (but thanks for the ridicule), I do think it’s very current (hip, fashionable, popular, etc.) in today’s society for everyone to criticize & find fault w/ our country while patriotism & all the things that make America are great are belittled & ignored.

Additionally, I find it really sad if someone absolutely can‘t find anything at all for which to celebrate & be grateful on a national holiday honoring their country.

(And I think that one can very easily have allegiance to one’s God while also still holding an allegiance to & pride for one’s country.)
Well, seeing as the trappings of patriotism have been hijacked by those with certain viewpoints, I’ll sit this out.

I always thought US Independence Day should be when Britain finally conceded and/or surrendered. I think it’s sometime in September 1781.

(Actually October 19, 1781.)

Fireworks and BBQs in October sound awesome.

I always thought US Independence Day should be when Britain finally conceded and/or surrendered. I think it’s sometime in September 1781.

(Actually October 19, 1781.)

Fireworks and BBQs in October sound awesome.
I remember in NY, Evacuation Day was celebrated with feasts and balls for many years. Our alliance with Britain in the World Wars ended it’s popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter